BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Goalkeepers

1 minute ago, Hannoverover said:

I haven't heard where he will end up, but Hannover 96 are going to let Ron-Robert Zieler go at the end of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if we are interested in him. Also a world cup winner!

Was a t Leicester and looked alright didn’t he a few years ago

52 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Darlows stats as I indicated with Dabruvka ever present show he’s not played since the 4th Feb 18 against Crystal Palace, Elliott was 27th Dec in the PL which at the time shows Darlow deputised in place due to a back injury to RE, the 6 games you allude to are actually EFl cup games and early round fa cup games.

At least Darlow has played some football though. 6 first team games this season.

Seemingly Elliot hasn't played a first team game since December 2017.

2 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

Darlows stats as I indicated with Dabruvka ever present show he’s not played since the 4th Feb 18 against Crystal Palace, Elliott was 27th Dec in the PL which at the time shows Darlow deputised in place due to a back injury to RE, the 6 games you allude to are actually EFl cup games and early round fa cup games. See attached, you mentioned him last summer ??‍♂️ Besides a fee his wages would probably be too much anyways for someone who’s battled for the second jersey of Newcastle.

Bettellini has played 120 games for Fulham since 2013 at first team level. See attached, the 200 figure you allude to are national league appearances as a youngster and reserve games.

Darlow has played in 6 cup games this season so I suggest you look more closely next time. He ain't coming to Rovers. We tried for him last summer and we couldn't afford his wages. 

On Bettellini, No I already took reserve games out of his career total. Thats why I saying just short of 200. He actually played in 196 games including his games in National League. Why wouldn't including them

Jordan Archer is the player I'd like to see Rovers sign. 27 years old. 6ft 1in. Classy player. Plenty of experience at different levels. Impressed during his short spell at Oxford and signed up by Fulham on a short-term deal. Should be free or available on a minimum fee.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

at brightons first training session next week,the coaching staff are going to watch walton and say "my god,what have those lot up north done to him☺️"

More likely, Walton will say to the coaching staff: What do you mean, we are going to work on my weaknesses ?

I'd have Darlow. Championship experience with multiple clubs, a keeper who goes against the grain of our recent insistence of only having young lads between the sticks. 

A year left at Newcastle so a cheapish sale could be an option. Will have lower wage expectations than a Joe Hart type IMO too.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

I'd have Darlow. Championship experience with multiple clubs, a keeper who goes against the grain of our recent insistence of only having young lads between the sticks. 

A year left at Newcastle so a cheapish sale could be an option. Will have lower wage expectations than a Joe Hart type IMO too.

If we couldnt afford his wage demands last summer why can we now? 

• Backroom

The Raya deal was bad at the time, even worse a year on, we had no replacement lined up, brought in an inferior player on loan and now the money is gone.

Meanwhile Raya won the golden glove and is linked to Arsenal and Man City for £10m 

But hey if Brentford get promoted our fee rises to £5m!

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18607923.rovers-monitoring-raya-situation-amid-man-city-arsenal-links/

The decision to sell Raya in itself was a poor one, selling him to eventually bring in Walton made it even worse.

A year on we’ve no senior goalkeepers on the books just a few weeks before the start of the new season, while he’s collected the Golden Glove, could get promoted and is now being linked to top Premier League clubs. What a mess.

Edited by frosty

I wasn't his biggest fan but he was still raw there was big potential there everyone could see. He clearly needed to be working with a better set up and have solid competition.  He still has the ricks in him probably always will but he's also obviously come on leaps and bounds in less than a year there.

Seems the lazy easy route here was to hang him out to dry and push him towards the door. Not a good look.

Then we get a lad in with similar championship experience who looks nervous to start, settles in and looks quite steady then begins to go backwards. By the end looks rubbish and all that follows a similar pattern to Steele. The whole keeper setup needs a big revamp by the looks of it.

Edited by tomphil

57 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I wasn't his biggest fan but he was still raw there was big potential there everyone could see. He clearly needed to be working with a better set up and have solid competition.  He still has the ricks in him probably always will but he's also obviously come on leaps and bounds in less than a year there.

Seems the lazy easy route here was to hang him out to dry and push him towards the door. Not a good look.

Then we get a lad in with similar championship experience who looks nervous to start, settles in and looks quite steady then begins to go backwards. By the end looks rubbish and all that follows a similar pattern to Steele. The whole keeper setup needs a big revamp by the looks of it.

I agree with your comments on Raya. Although he made a couple of serious mistakes I still thought he had enough about him to be persisted with. Especially as we appeared not to have a ready made replacement in the offing. He was capable of draw dropping saves on occasions so obviously the ability was there, I've hardly seen his replacement make one in a full season. Raya's judgement needed working on but that should have been done. He was clearly shown the door by Mowbray's treatment of him, I don't think he had itchy feet before that moment. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree with your comments on Raya. Although he made a couple of serious mistakes I still thought he had enough about him to be persisted with. Especially as we appeared not to have a ready made replacement in the offing. He was capable of draw dropping saves on occasions so obviously the ability was there, I've hardly seen his replacement make one in a full season. Raya's judgement needed working on but that should have been done. He was clearly shown the door by Mowbray's treatment of him, I don't think he had itchy feet before that moment. 

Had been at the club since 16? if I recall correctly. This club is all he had known through his young adult life. He finally makes the number one jersey his own and then just decides he wants to leave? No chance, like you say, he left because of the treatment he received. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What needed to happen was not selling Raya but bringing in a keeper who could at least push him for the number one jersey. Leutweiler just made him (and subsequently Walton) undroppable - which is a very unhealthy position to be in. For club and keeper.

We also needed (need) a new goalkeeping coach. Someone respected in the game with ‘gloves-on ‘experience. A scientist with a laptop should be involved in fitness and conditioning and not in an area which requires learning from yours and others mistakes. Watching videos of other keepers may be fine for inducting youngsters but not an elite footballer.

It isn't just a poor decision. A poor decision would be to have replaced Raya will an adequate and competent keeper that was contracted to the club and worth value to the club, albeit not as good or valuable as Raya.

To take the money, sign a loan and be sat here with no keeper and probably no money whilst Raya wins the golden glove, possibly promotion with Brentford and is attracting Premier League interest?

Well I'd describe that as a balls up of epic proportions, unacceptable and at any normal club the manager wouldn't have even been allowed to do it, but having done so he would he hauled into the boardroom and taken to task.

But this doesn't happen when you allow the manager control over the club and let him appoint his mate as CEO and assistant as Head of Football or whatever he is.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Like i said i wasn't a huge fan i'm always more keen on a steady pair of hands in the sticks who might not claw jaw droppers out the top corner but won't gift wrap 9 points per season either.  Always thought though that Raya should have had proper competition and an experienced coach so he could take a step back and come again if needed.

At his age with his ability he was definitely worth pulling the stops out to try and make him into what he'll probably now become. Thing is though if they get promoted and if he gets snapped up for good money that's a hell of a lot of money for Rovers for doing very little.  

Good business but not necessarily good for the progress of the team.  Then again if they'd pulled their fingers out and either had another decent keeper on the books or stopped penny pinching in that berth and bought one when he left there wouldn't be this mither.

So again the buck stops in the usual places.

30 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Like i said i wasn't a huge fan i'm always more keen on a steady pair of hands in the sticks who might not claw jaw droppers out the top corner but won't gift wrap 9 points per season either.  Always thought though that Raya should have had proper competition and an experienced coach so he could take a step back and come again if needed.

At his age with his ability he was definitely worth pulling the stops out to try and make him into what he'll probably now become. Thing is though if they get promoted and if he gets snapped up for good money that's a hell of a lot of money for Rovers for doing very little.  

Good business but not necessarily good for the progress of the team.  Then again if they'd pulled their fingers out and either had another decent keeper on the books or stopped penny pinching in that berth and bought one when he left there wouldn't be this mither.

So again the buck stops in the usual places.

We could have had the whole £10 million if we'd have played our cards right with him.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

It isn't just a poor decision. A poor decision would be to have replaced Raya will an adequate and competent keeper that was contracted to the club and worth value to the club, albeit not as good or valuable as Raya.

Not having this.  The guy made cock up after cock up last season, his decision making was crap and his kicking even worse..his coming for crosses is questionable too.

I don't care about his next club, Mowbray should have replaced him with competency. My opinion Raya is shyte and people have short memories. 

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 3

No thanks. 

As I've said a few times on here, goalkeeping standards in my opinion are at rock bottom at the moment and have been for the last 5 years or so. 

God knows who we will end up with, but as long as he can do a cruyff turn in his own 6 yard box and spray 60 yard balls out to the wing, that seems to be the criteria these days

Edited by Tugayisgod

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Not having this.  The guy made cock up after cock up last season, his decision making was crap and his kicking even worse..his coming for crosses is questionable too.

I don't care about his next club, Mowbray should have replaced him with competency. My opinion Raya is shyte and people have short memories. 

And this season he is best keeper in league, could get promoted and now linked to top PL teams. Says more about our handling of him than just "he is shyte". Says sometyhing about your opinion too. He had a bad injury last season if you remember but anyone can see the lad was big potential. 

• Like 6