BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Goalkeepers

3 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Some good shouts for keepers on here, there are plenty that should be attainable. The Charlton keeper is a good shout, I like Marshall at Wigan and then there are tons of good foreign keepers available for nothing. The fantasist in me would go for Luca Zidane, with his father being that average former midfielder and current manager of a small Spanish club, to have that connection could lead to some exciting loan signings going forward. 

Then again, why do we need Zidane when we have the Canadian.

I never knew his son was a keeper, that's gas. 

• Like 1

They are discussing Brentford in my paper today and I saw this quote " they possess the second best defence in the division, three masterful great Danes in midfield and arguably the league's finest goalkeeper in David Raya ". So we manage to go from selling arguably the best goalie in the league to loaning arguably the worst in the league.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They are discussing Brentford in my paper today and I saw this quote " they possess the second best defence in the division, three masterful great Danes in midfield and arguably the league's finest goalkeeper in David Raya ". So we manage to go from selling arguably the best goalie in the league to loaning arguably the worst in the league.

He wasn’t the best keeper in the league when he was at the Rovers. This again might point to a problem with the coaching staff. Either they cannot see potential, or they cannot coach potential.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rigger said:

He wasn’t the best keeper in the league when he was at the Rovers. This again might point to a problem with the coaching staff. Either they cannot see potential, or they cannot coach potential.

Exactly!

Got to admit that after watching him-great saves plus disastrous errors- I was definitely in favour finding an improvement.

I assumed that would mean selling him and finding a better replacement.

It's just that he has improved, since his departure and we haven't found a decent replacement...

On both counts, you really have to wonder why.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's not true. 

There's no arguably about it, Walton must have been the worst keeper in the league. He was beyond terrible. Absymal. Words struggle to define how bad he was. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

That's not true. 

There's no arguably about it, Walton must have been the worst keeper in the league. He was beyond terrible. Absymal. Words struggle to define how bad he was. 

After the lockdown he was bad, before he wasn’t too bad.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Maybe time to switch newspapers.

• Like 3

Can't really blame him if he was playing behind a back line of our four legged friends.

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

8 hours ago, rigger said:

Oh wait......this just happened in the play-off final

Looking at the free-kick everything looks like it's going to be one of those you see a 100 times swung into the far post, the runners are gonna come in and then hopefully the keeper comes and punches it but the dive is comedy from David Raya.

maybe there's a problem with Brentford's coaching staff too...........

• Like 2

He made errors here fairly regularly, and was quite raw as youd expect from a goalkeeper years away from his peak. I never felt totally confident with him in net because you always felt an error wasnt too far away.

That being said, he is talented and he was ours. Its much easier to stomach your goalkeepr making mistakes if they decline over time as he matures and if he is ours to keep so we get to see the benefits of a goalkeeper becoming more consistent and performing to a higher level.

The problem was not necessarily losing Raya in isolation. We put the proceeds (and a bit more) in to buying a poor striker. We then decided to loan a goalkeeper of the same age with less ability who was more error prone, knowing that even if he did improve, which he didnt, that Brighton would benefit and we would have no one again come this summer.

If we go and sign another young goalkeeper on loan, unless he is one of the rare consistent exceptions at a tender age, then he will make mistakes that will cost us points and again we will know that any improvements that he makes will only benefit someone else.

Thats why we are crying out for a permanent addition and ideally one who is a bit older. 

There is no way to defend the transfer business of last summer because it is all connected. Raya has despite todays mistake improved this season, helped by a better defence but also from all accounts having developed individually. Not perfect by any means though.

Ironically I think I recall Gallagher being linked to Brentford last summer, albeit it was almost certainly nonsense. But they are better off this summer in having Raya (and the 1.5m difference) rather than signing Gallagher and a short term goalkeeper who would now have gone back.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Thats why we are crying out for a permanent addition and ideally one who is a bit older. 

We both agree that Dillon Philips would be good addition for us. He is only 25 years and his stats(used by Rovers Chat online video) are very good IMO

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He made errors here fairly regularly, and was quite raw as youd expect from a goalkeeper years away from his peak. I never felt totally confident with him in net because you always felt an error wasnt too far away.

That being said, he is talented and he was ours. Its much easier to stomach your goalkeepr making mistakes if they decline over time as he matures and if he is ours to keep so we get to see the benefits of a goalkeeper becoming more consistent and performing to a higher level.

The problem was not necessarily losing Raya in isolation. We put the proceeds (and a bit more) in to buying a poor striker. We then decided to loan a goalkeeper of the same age with less ability who was more error prone, knowing that even if he did improve, which he didnt, that Brighton would benefit and we would have no one again come this summer.

If we go and sign another young goalkeeper on loan, unless he is one of the rare consistent exceptions at a tender age, then he will make mistakes that will cost us points and again we will know that any improvements that he makes will only benefit someone else.

There is no way to defend the transfer business of last summer because it is all connected. Raya has despite todays mistake improved this season, helped by a better defence but also from all accounts having developed individually. Not perfect by any means though.

Ironically I think I recall Gallagher being linked to Brentford last summer, albeit it was almost certainly nonsense. But they are better off this summer in having Raya (and the 1.5m difference) rather than signing Gallagher and a short term goalkeeper who would now have gone back.

Raya (and/or his much praised Brentford coaches) have just cost them £160 million. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We both agree that Dillon Philips would be good addition for us. He is only 25 years and his stats(used by Rovers Chat online video) are very good IMO

Agreed on the player. Key would be that he would be permanent too. He would make errors (made a howler in the League 1 play off final the other year) like anyone but as he developed and matured, we would benefit.

Just now, Ben Frost said:

Raya (and/or his much praised Brentford coaches) have just cost them £160 million. 

With an incredibly short sighted way to look at it. Could argue that with his penalty save and great play in the build up to the first goal of the 2nd leg that without him, tonight would have been Fulham v Swansea.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Agreed on the player. Key would be that he would be permanent too. He would make errors (made a howler in the League 1 play off final the other year) like anyone but as he developed and matured, we would benefit.

Did he make a mistake last season in Championship? 

2 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Raya is an amazing shot stopper who was prone to the odd gaff. Walton wasn't even an amazing shot stopper. If Raya had been in our goals this season we'd have got more points.

I think that’s fair. Not by much but yeah...maybe.

8 hours ago, Glosrover said:

Oh wait......this just happened in the play-off final

Looking at the free-kick everything looks like it's going to be one of those you see a 100 times swung into the far post, the runners are gonna come in and then hopefully the keeper comes and punches it but the dive is comedy from David Raya.

maybe there's a problem with Brentford's coaching staff too...........

Are you saying that you are happy with the Keeper coaching at the Rovers. Maybe it was a good free-kick

Edited by rigger

Name a better keeper we had than Raya in the last 10 years. Yes, he is prone to the odd gaff but it is clear he has come on leaps and bounds at Brentford and what did we get out of it? 3 million and a contender for our worst keeper in the last 10 years - who luckily, was not ours permanently. Brentford would not even have been in the final had it not been for Raya, so to lump it solely on him is far-fetched, to say the least. 

As for Brentford, they are inching closer each year, so I expect them to be among the frontrunners for automatics next season. Benrahma will probably be off as their major sale and they will no doubt unearth another gem to replace him.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, rigger said:

Are you saying that you are happy with the Keeper coaching at the Rovers. Maybe it was a good free-kick

It was a clever free-kick, but no keeper should be beaten from that distance like that. It was a comical dive as well, made it look even more ridiculous.

*For the record I'm a big fan of Raya, but he was definitely at fault there.