BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Goalkeepers

6 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Name a better keeper we had than Raya in the last 10 years. Yes, he is prone to the odd gaff but it is clear he has come on leaps and bounds at Brentford and what did we get out of it? 3 million and a contender for our worst keeper in the last 10 years - who luckily, was not ours permanently. Brentford would not even have been in the final had it not been for Raya, so to lump it solely on him is far-fetched, to say the least. 

As for Brentford, they are inching closer each year, so I expect them to be among the frontrunners for automatics next season. Benrahma will probably be off as their major sale and they will no doubt unearth another gem to replace him.

Think Brentford will suffer wholesale dismantling of their team for failure to get promotion. New ground to be paid for, lower crowds, COVID issues and then their players will be attracted by much bigger clubs with money. Even the lesser lights of the premiership will be knocking. One things for sure, the bmw strikeforce will be a mini clubman??

1 minute ago, 1864roverite said:

Think Brentford will suffer wholesale dismantling of their team for failure to get promotion. New ground to be paid for, lower crowds, COVID issues and then their players will be attracted by much bigger clubs with money. Even the lesser lights of the premiership will be knocking. One things for sure, the bmw strikeforce will be a mini clubman??

Never liked that BMW thing, corny. Nowhere near as cool as the SAS or BAG (Brereton, Armstrong and Gallagher).

They often have overhauls though and simply replace outgoings with incoming that have the potential to be just as good or better. The M was the latest one this season to come in at 5 million to replace the outgoing Maupay at 20 million. Comes straight in and bags 20+ goals. Out went Konsa for 12 million and in comes Janssen and Pinnock for 8 million combined. 

I expect perhaps B and W to go. I don't think they will actually miss Benrahma that much. On his day unplayable but whenever I have seen him play, he is lazy, inconsistent and greedy. Cant knock the numbers he pulled up though. Watkins would be a good signing for a lower half PL team. M though, first season in the league, so expect them to hold onto him to get better value after a strong second season.

As for the stadium, that's probably been paid for by the net profits they have been pocketing in previous seasons. Doubt they had it all riding on promotion. 

16 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Im sure he did. All keepers make mistakes. 

So you don't know?

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

But crucially, he was ours! Improving year on year. 

Raya might well been ours but his decision making is still as poor as last season to now. His shot stopping isn't the problem but his communicating and decision making isn't good enough. 

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So you don't know?

Raya might well been ours but his decision making is still as poor as last season to now. His shot stopping isn't the problem but his communicating and decision making isn't good enough. 

Have you watched every Brentford match this season? How do you know if his decision making is still the same? Why dont you go to the Brentford forums to see what their fans think of his decision making.

As for not good enough, its good enough to be recognised as one of the best keepers in the Championship - while we had Peter Crouch's brother in goal. 

• Like 4

Of course not, he has seen him make a couple of mistakes on TV, and is disregarding any signs or proof that he may have developed overall, made less mistakes or indeed the fact that he was our permanent player, traded in to sign a crap striker and sign at least one young and inferior keeper temporarily in order to justify it all! Even championing other kids to loan in to carry on the cycle.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Of course not, he has seen him make a couple of mistakes on TV, and is disregarding any signs or proof that he may have developed overall, made less mistakes or indeed the fact that he was our permanent player, 

Well Brentford was on TV alot post Covid lockdown. Plus highlights show every week. 

Ive seen made 4 mistakes whilst watching live games. He made 2 mistakes last night. The header incident which he was lucky with again. then the goal from Bryan. Bringing down Buckley for our Penalty at Griffin Park. Then the Stoke game was he push the ball straight to Lee Gregory who scored instead of catching the ball. 

Thats just 4 Ive seen. Then just a quick google search of David Raya mistake and you find one against Hull City. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=David+Raya+mistake+against+hull&view=detail&mid=95E0466ECE095967068B95E0466ECE095967068B&FORM=VIRE 

I didn't rate Raya when he was here and thought that £3 Million for him was good money and I still do. However some of the vitriol aimed at Raya aimed by certain posters on here is pathetic especially when you consider that was a good professional for the club, has never said a bad word about it and only left after the manager had made it clear he wasn't wanted. Raya is what he is, he's a keeper capable of the spectacular but also capable of such basic mistakes as he showed last night. Unlike some though I didn't take any pleasure in seeing a player who had come through our academy make such a crucial mistake last night just so I could score some I told you so points, I felt gutted for the lad.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 7

the crux of the matter is mowbray sold a good goalkeeper,could`nt find a replacement and brought a rubbish one in when panicking,rank bad management again that`s gone unnoticed by anyone in the shambles we call a boardroom,i just hope to god i never see walton within 50 miles of ewood again and he`s got some inflated view of himself that he thinks he can challenge for the 1st team jersey now the ?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well Brentford was on TV alot post Covid lockdown. Plus highlights show every week. 

Ive seen made 4 mistakes whilst watching live games. He made 2 mistakes last night. The header incident which he was lucky with again. then the goal from Bryan. Bringing down Buckley for our Penalty at Griffin Park. Then the Stoke game was he push the ball straight to Lee Gregory who scored instead of catching the ball. 

Thats just 4 Ive seen. Then just a quick google search of David Raya mistake and you find one against Hull City. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=David+Raya+mistake+against+hull&view=detail&mid=95E0466ECE095967068B95E0466ECE095967068B&FORM=VIRE 

4 leading to goals in a season, if that is the case, over 49 games is not too bad at all, for a goalkeeper years from his peak. He made a few more here last season.

I am not even pretending that he is a goalkeeper who I really, really rate or trust. But there is plenty of raw talent should a club own him.

Walton made over 10 mistakes leading to goals in 46 games and even if he had have improved it wouldnt have been of any use to us which is key and why it is unfathomable that you can champion us getting another kid on loan.

If you choose to revel in his mistakes to try and justify what happened last summer then each to their own, lets leave it there.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

4 leading to goals in a season, if that is the case, over 49 games is not too bad at all, for a goalkeeper years from his peak. He made a few more here last season.

I am not even pretending that he is a goalkeeper who I really, really rate or trust. But there is plenty of raw talent should a club own him.

Walton made over 10 mistakes leading to goals in 46 games and even if he had have improved it wouldnt have been of any use to us which is key and why it is unfathomable that you can champion us getting another kid on loan.

If you choose to revel in his mistakes to try and justify what happened last summer then each to their own, lets leave it there.

Thats just 4 I've seen. Depends on your opinion as he is hardly a rookie with no English league experience is he? 

I haven't once compare him to Walton so why keep bringing that up every opportunity just made your point. We all know about Walton and his mistakes. Blimey we all posted about it on here. 

I am happy we sold Raya last summer. 

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thats just 4 I've seen. Depends on your opinion as he is hardly a rookie with no English league experience is he? 

I haven't once compare him to Walton so why keep bringing that up every opportunity just made your point. We all know about Walton and his mistakes. Blimey we all posted about it on here. 

I am happy we sold Raya last summer. 

Presumably less happy that we wasted the money on Gallagher and dont own a senior goalkeeper.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Presumably less happy that we wasted the money on Gallagher and dont own a senior goalkeeper.

wasn't exactly happy with the replacement. 

But my overall post was about Raya and not once did I mention any replacement or anything else. I'm Just talking about Raya thats all. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Just now, Hasta said:

If we could have sold Raya, got an equal replacement and spent the money well elsewhere then I'd have been happy with the sale.

That applies to any player.

Unfortunately I don't think we did.

Agreed, but if Raya goes for £10m this summer and we've haven't included a sell-on it looks a really poor deal for us. 

Also, from an LT article today:-

'Christian Walton signed on a season-long loan to fill the void left by the departure of David Raya as Rovers failed to attract their top targets who Mowbray envisaged would be an upgrade on the Spaniard'

The real problem was selling Raya before he'd landed his preferred targets. Very unprofessional IMO. 

• Like 1

Exactly. As you say, it applies to any player. As the money was wasted and we didnt replace Raya, they have to be considered when considering any judgement in selling him in the first place. Was he replaced? No. Are we weaker post Raya (ie we now have Gallagher plus have spent 1.5m extra) from that transaction? Yes. Therefore it was poor business to sell him.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hasta said:

If we could have sold Raya, got an equal replacement and spent the money well elsewhere then I'd have been happy with the sale.

That applies to any player.

Unfortunately I don't think we did.

I’d have been happier if we’d have kept Raya and sold Ben Benson.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

So 5 mistakes in total means he has not improved his decision making? Your are judging hi from a handful of games rather than reading what Brentford fans say about him?

• Like 1

Chaddy, you are happy with whatever the club does...we sold him, you are happy. If we didnt sell him, you would be happy we didnt sell him. I dont recall you saying that we should sell Raya in your opinion...until it happened. This is why you will not say whether we should extend Downings contract, you have zero opinion. If we extend, you will be happy and the club made the right decision, if we dont extend, you will be happy and say the club made the right decision.

Selling Raya on it's own is not really the issue here. Yes i rated him and feel he will go on to have a PL career. Despite that, if we had replaced him with an experienced keeper that was better or at least equal, we would all be happy in the main, We didnt. We brought in a desperate loan kid after somehow not managing to line up a replacement before selling off our goalie. He has turned out to be one of the worst goalies I have seen pull on our jersey. 

But you are happy we weakened our squad, all just to score points despite having no opinion on anything ever....

• Like 5

5 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Never liked that BMW thing, corny. Nowhere near as cool as the SAS or BAG (Brereton, Armstrong and Gallagher).

They often have overhauls though and simply replace outgoings with incoming that have the potential to be just as good or better. The M was the latest one this season to come in at 5 million to replace the outgoing Maupay at 20 million. Comes straight in and bags 20+ goals. Out went Konsa for 12 million and in comes Janssen and Pinnock for 8 million combined. 

I expect perhaps B and W to go. I don't think they will actually miss Benrahma that much. On his day unplayable but whenever I have seen him play, he is lazy, inconsistent and greedy. Cant knock the numbers he pulled up though. Watkins would be a good signing for a lower half PL team. M though, first season in the league, so expect them to hold onto him to get better value after a strong second season.

As for the stadium, that's probably been paid for by the net profits they have been pocketing in previous seasons. Doubt they had it all riding on promotion. 

I quite liked the GAY, Gallagher and Yorke.

• Like 2

On 05/08/2020 at 21:19, JacknOry said:

Chaddy, you are happy with whatever the club does...we sold him, you are happy. If we didnt sell him, you would be happy we didnt sell him. I dont recall you saying that we should sell Raya in your opinion...until it happened. This is why you will not say whether we should extend Downings contract, you have zero opinion. If we extend, you will be happy and the club made the right decision, if we dont extend, you will be happy and say the club made the right decision.

Selling Raya on it's own is not really the issue here. Yes i rated him and feel he will go on to have a PL career. Despite that, if we had replaced him with an experienced keeper that was better or at least equal, we would all be happy in the main, We didnt. We brought in a desperate loan kid after somehow not managing to line up a replacement before selling off our goalie. He has turned out to be one of the worst goalies I have seen pull on our jersey. 

But you are happy we weakened our squad, all just to score points despite having no opinion on anything ever....

The silence speaks volumes.

• Like 1