BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Goalkeepers

Just now, darrenrover said:

A nonsense letting Raya leave.

The worry is, currently our best goalkeeping option is a joiner with a pack of 8 foot x 4 inch lengths of timber, a bag of nails and a claw hammer.

Whichever way you slice it, we dropped a bollock selling Raya.

Simply because the money was wasted on Gallagher.

• Like 4

Just had a shout out on Absolute Radio weekly footy quiz (4 4 Who) 

Which keeper got relegated twice then on his debut for his next club conceded 5 then won the Prem with his next club,?

"Tim Flowers of the mighty Blackburn Rovers" was my answer which got read out with a name check ???

(Relegated twice with his first club Wolves, lost 5-1 for Southampton)

• Like 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53803874

Joe Hart going to Spurs sums up everything wrong with football. It’s clearly more in his interests to be a reserve reserve for a PL club than play competitive matches in the Championship.

It’s a shame that coronavirus didn’t bring down the whole bloated, wasteful, arrogant empire.

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

Joe Hart going to Spurs sums up everything wrong with football. It’s clearly more in his interests to be a reserve reserve for a PL club than play competitive matches in the Championship.

It’s a shame that coronavirus didn’t bring down the whole bloated, wasteful, arrogant empire.

Exactly my first thought when i saw that report. It also explains why there are some pretty average keepers in the championship. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Exactly my first thought when i saw that report. It also explains why there are some pretty average keepers in the championship. 

Indeed. PL clubs have endless resources (despite furloughing staff and letting tax payers foot the bill) and since the emergency goalkeeper loan option was removed seem to be hoovering up all of the experienced keepers leaving most Championship clubs with lads learning their trade.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Indeed. PL clubs have endless resources (despite furloughing staff and letting tax payers foot the bill) and since the emergency goalkeeper loan option was removed seem to be hoovering up all of the experienced keepers leaving most Championship clubs with lads learning their trade.

Which might make clear the absurdity of people criticising our keeper from not meeting the standards of the likes of Friedel and Flowers.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Which people are they?

You need to look back on the board . At least one poster has described Christian Walton as "talentless" - a completely over the top description of a player on the books of a Premier League club with 156 appearances in professional club football and 12 for England at under 19,20 and 21 levels.

• Moderation Lead
22 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Which might make clear the absurdity of people criticising our keeper from not meeting the standards of the likes of Friedel and Flowers.

Literally nobody has said that. People wanted Walton to be able to catch a ball, imagine that.

The only references to our old goalkeepers that I can recall are people being nostalgic....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

You need to look back on the board . At least one poster has described Christian Walton as "talentless" - a completely over the top description of a player on the books of a Premier League club with 156 appearances in professional club football and 12 for England at under 19,20 and 21 levels.

To be fair though he was fairly shite for us, which is all that should matter.

Fine lines

It was post lockdown that swung the tide against him before that it was a bit up and down. Most inconsistent young keepers will get some level of stick on SM when they are making basic errors. 

The Walton of pre lockdown might given the unique circumstances have been tolerated to stay or come back even it might not have been with open arms by everybody.

Sadly we may be looking at worse now or should i say lesser experienced although talk of Steele again is horrific.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Walton was described as "talentless" which in my opinion is way over the top for someone in their chosen profession who has achieved some level of success.

OTT yes, but not 'abusive'.

6 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Walton was described as "talentless" which in my opinion is way over the top for someone in their chosen profession who has achieved some level of success.

I described him as "talentless" numerous times and I'm more than happy that that description is accurate.

That's presumably why he is 24 but only 4th choice at his parent Club. What "success" has he actually achieved?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Stuart said:

Just glad we won't be wasting money on him and that people can shut up about it.

5 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I described him as "talentless" numerous times and I'm more than happy that that description is accurate.

That's presumably why he is 24 but only 4th choice at his parent Club. What "success" has he actually achieved?

His success is to represent his country at three different levels, to be employed by a club in arguably the best league in the world and already to have made over 150 appearances as a professional. "Talentless" is for those scrambling around in the parks.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

His success is to represent his country at three different levels, to be employed by a club in arguably the best league in the world and already to have made over 150 appearances as a professional. "Talentless" is for those scrambling around in the parks.

Calling a professional footballer as talentless tells me Revidge doesn't play football. Any man here who plays the game will tell you that when you come across a player that level higher than you the difference is miles apart.

My brag of the day: when I was younger I was mincing it about at Chasetown (I knew the dream was over) and played against a young Raheem Sterling, who at the time was at QPR. It was around 09 / 10 as I was just leaving school. He had a bad game and went off at half-time, but he was a couple of years younger and a lot smaller. You could tell he was going to be a good en though, the way he moved, picked the ball up and dribbled was just a cut ahead of everybody else.

Later that year I played against Tranmere and came up against Max Power. If you'd have asked me then I'd have told you Max Power was going to play for England. He tore me a new one and it was me hoiked off just after half time.

Point being you knew straight away that them two lads had more talent in their small toe than we did as a collective. And lo and behold there they are, earning thousands of pounds a week to play a game we play for free.

There isn't a "talentless" professional footballer in existence. 

• Like 6