Sign in to follow this  
Stuart

Goalkeepers

If we could have sold Raya, got an equal replacement and spent the money well elsewhere then I'd have been happy with the sale.

That applies to any player.

Unfortunately I don't think we did.

Just now, Hasta said:

If we could have sold Raya, got an equal replacement and spent the money well elsewhere then I'd have been happy with the sale.

Agreed, but if Raya goes for £10m this summer and we've haven't included a sell-on it looks a really poor deal for us. 

Also, from an LT article today:-

'Christian Walton signed on a season-long loan to fill the void left by the departure of David Raya as Rovers failed to attract their top targets who Mowbray envisaged would be an upgrade on the Spaniard'

The real problem was selling Raya before he'd landed his preferred targets. Very unprofessional IMO. 

Exactly. As you say, it applies to any player. As the money was wasted and we didnt replace Raya, they have to be considered when considering any judgement in selling him in the first place. Was he replaced? No. Are we weaker post Raya (ie we now have Gallagher plus have spent 1.5m extra) from that transaction? Yes. Therefore it was poor business to sell him.

20 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I’d have been happier if we’d have kept Raya and sold Ben Benson.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well Brentford was on TV alot post Covid lockdown. Plus highlights show every week. 

Ive seen made 4 mistakes whilst watching live games. He made 2 mistakes last night. The header incident which he was lucky with again. then the goal from Bryan. Bringing down Buckley for our Penalty at Griffin Park. Then the Stoke game was he push the ball straight to Lee Gregory who scored instead of catching the ball. 

Thats just 4 Ive seen. Then just a quick google search of David Raya mistake and you find one against Hull City. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=David+Raya+mistake+against+hull&view=detail&mid=95E0466ECE095967068B95E0466ECE095967068B&FORM=VIRE 

So 5 mistakes in total means he has not improved his decision making? Your are judging hi from a handful of games rather than reading what Brentford fans say about him?

Chaddy, you are happy with whatever the club does...we sold him, you are happy. If we didnt sell him, you would be happy we didnt sell him. I dont recall you saying that we should sell Raya in your opinion...until it happened. This is why you will not say whether we should extend Downings contract, you have zero opinion. If we extend, you will be happy and the club made the right decision, if we dont extend, you will be happy and say the club made the right decision.

Selling Raya on it's own is not really the issue here. Yes i rated him and feel he will go on to have a PL career. Despite that, if we had replaced him with an experienced keeper that was better or at least equal, we would all be happy in the main, We didnt. We brought in a desperate loan kid after somehow not managing to line up a replacement before selling off our goalie. He has turned out to be one of the worst goalies I have seen pull on our jersey. 

But you are happy we weakened our squad, all just to score points despite having no opinion on anything ever....

5 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Never liked that BMW thing, corny. Nowhere near as cool as the SAS or BAG (Brereton, Armstrong and Gallagher).

They often have overhauls though and simply replace outgoings with incoming that have the potential to be just as good or better. The M was the latest one this season to come in at 5 million to replace the outgoing Maupay at 20 million. Comes straight in and bags 20+ goals. Out went Konsa for 12 million and in comes Janssen and Pinnock for 8 million combined. 

I expect perhaps B and W to go. I don't think they will actually miss Benrahma that much. On his day unplayable but whenever I have seen him play, he is lazy, inconsistent and greedy. Cant knock the numbers he pulled up though. Watkins would be a good signing for a lower half PL team. M though, first season in the league, so expect them to hold onto him to get better value after a strong second season.

As for the stadium, that's probably been paid for by the net profits they have been pocketing in previous seasons. Doubt they had it all riding on promotion. 

I quite liked the GAY, Gallagher and Yorke.

On 05/08/2020 at 21:19, JacknOry said:

Chaddy, you are happy with whatever the club does...we sold him, you are happy. If we didnt sell him, you would be happy we didnt sell him. I dont recall you saying that we should sell Raya in your opinion...until it happened. This is why you will not say whether we should extend Downings contract, you have zero opinion. If we extend, you will be happy and the club made the right decision, if we dont extend, you will be happy and say the club made the right decision.

Selling Raya on it's own is not really the issue here. Yes i rated him and feel he will go on to have a PL career. Despite that, if we had replaced him with an experienced keeper that was better or at least equal, we would all be happy in the main, We didnt. We brought in a desperate loan kid after somehow not managing to line up a replacement before selling off our goalie. He has turned out to be one of the worst goalies I have seen pull on our jersey. 

But you are happy we weakened our squad, all just to score points despite having no opinion on anything ever....

The silence speaks volumes.

Just now, Amo said:

The silence speaks volumes.

A nonsense letting Raya leave.

The worry is, currently our best goalkeeping option is a joiner with a pack of 8 foot x 4 inch lengths of timber, a bag of nails and a claw hammer.

Just now, darrenrover said:

A nonsense letting Raya leave.

The worry is, currently our best goalkeeping option is a joiner with a pack of 8 foot x 4 inch lengths of timber, a bag of nails and a claw hammer.

Whichever way you slice it, we dropped a bollock selling Raya.

Simply because the money was wasted on Gallagher.

25 minutes ago, Amo said:

Whichever way you slice it, we dropped a bollock selling Raya.

I totally agree.

Just had a shout out on Absolute Radio weekly footy quiz (4 4 Who) 

Which keeper got relegated twice then on his debut for his next club conceded 5 then won the Prem with his next club,?

"Tim Flowers of the mighty Blackburn Rovers" was my answer which got read out with a name check 😁😁😁

(Relegated twice with his first club Wolves, lost 5-1 for Southampton)