BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

• Backroom
14 hours ago, bazza said:

No way.  9+9x36=648

It did when I was at school. No brackets there!!!

If you want the answer to be 333 then you have to express it as

9 +( 9 x 36).  There are no brackets in the original puzzle.

So the doctor's wrong. No matter. I don't expect my GP to be a brilliant mathematician. I expect him/her to be a brilliant doctor.

Even without brackets, you do the multiplication before the addition.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bazza said:

No way.  9+9x36=648

It did when I was at school. No brackets there!!!

If you want the answer to be 333 then you have to express it as

9 +( 9 x 36).  There are no brackets in the original puzzle.

So the doctor's wrong. No matter. I don't expect my GP to be a brilliant mathematician. I expect him/her to be a brilliant doctor.

As others have said, arithmetic precedence dictates the order in which the sum is calculated, you don't really need brackets, although they clearly help and had they been included in the original graphic would have made it easier for many to solve. As they say, every day is a school day mate - you weren't the only person to get caught out by it, though your assertions that you are correct don't really do you any favours.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 2

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Order of operations they call it. 

Brackets,

Orders

Division and

Multiplcation

Addition and

Subtraction

If you stick to that you won't go far wrong

I can’t understand how I have got through to almost my 70th year on earth not knowing this. Amazing, I must be a freak of nature ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Riversider28 said:

I can’t understand how I have got through to almost my 70th year on earth not knowing this. Amazing, I must be a freak of nature ?

I'll be honest I've only ever found it useful when solving these kind of puzzles that pop up on Facebook. You'll probably have been applying it without realising your whole life though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

I'll be honest I've only ever found it useful when solving these kind of puzzles that pop up on Facebook. You'll probably have been applying it without realising your whole life though. 

I’m glad you have faith in me Dom,thanks. ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Order of operations they call it. 

Brackets,

Orders

Division and

Multiplcation

Addition and

Subtraction

If you stick to that you won't go far wrong

Never heard of BODMAS. I wondered why people kept mentioning it. I was never taught this in school. I left high school in 1961.

Therefore I stand corrected. You learn something new every day. I'm still learning.?‍?

• Like 2

Here's a good one I found :

There is a lightbulb inside a closet. The door is closed, and you cannot see if the light is on or off through the door. However, you know the light is off to start. Outside of the closet, there are three light switches. One of the switches controls the lightbulb in the closet. You can flip the switches however you want, but once you open the door, you can no longer touch the switches. How do you figure out without a doubt which switch controls the light?

• Backroom
2 hours ago, broadsword said:

Here's a good one I found :

There is a lightbulb inside a closet. The door is closed, and you cannot see if the light is on or off through the door. However, you know the light is off to start. Outside of the closet, there are three light switches. One of the switches controls the lightbulb in the closet. You can flip the switches however you want, but once you open the door, you can no longer touch the switches. How do you figure out without a doubt which switch controls the light?

Had to experiment with some lamps at home to work this out ?

Ignore switch 1.

Flip switch 2.

Flip switch 3, leave a while then turn off.

Light on = switch 2.

Light off and hot = switch 3.

Light off and cold = switch 1.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I watch that puzzle show on TV chaired by Victoria Coren, is it called " Connect 4 ". ?That is really difficult. " University Challenge " I'm not bad at because it's more general knowledge based.

Only Connect. I love it but usually cannot get a blooming thing. The wall is my favourite. I record the programme so I can pause it at the wall and give myself a longer time to study it. Makes no difference in the end.