BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship Season 2020 - 2021

47 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Do you not reckon promotion should trump all of those things though? It’s a big risk to get a rookie in over someone who’s been there, done that and obtained the t-shirt....

Again, just because the Bristol City board want something, doesn’t mean it’s the right or most logical thing....

Well no demands on number of different things like Wages and budgets will play a massive part of appoint any wages at this level espically now post covid. 

I am surprised by Holden being push for the job but if he wants it and working to work under that structure and be more modern day head coach then old fashion manager than fair enough. 

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I bet that either Hughton has turned them down, he priced himself out of it or of course there is potential that Bristol City have simply made the decision which is almost certainly an illogical one, or a masterstroke. I know what my money is on!

I would imagine it will be his wage demands and his vision for the club which will be different from the Owner and CEO. 

Is Hughton likely to get Bournemouth or Watford job? 

So now we know the identities of the other 23 clubs we will be up against.

I wonder how Waggott and co. will be able to spin it as little old Rovers struggling to compete.

Only Forest, Derby and Sheff Wednesday really represent significantly bigger gates etc.

The day I accept that the rest are bigger, better or ahead of Blackburn Rovers is a long way away.

Clearly the 3 relegated clubs will have the benefit of parachute cash but Watford and Bournemouth will have some serious work to do. Then we've the promoted clubs of homeless Coventry, Rotherham and Wycombe. Nope nothing to see there.

At this stage I expect Stoke, Norwich and Middlesbrough to be in and around the top end. I rate O'Neill at Stoke, Norwich will know the league and should transition smoothly. Boro have the Warnock factor so if he's up for it and gets backing they'll be thereabouts. Watford and Bournemouth could do well depending on their appointments and squads but i think without Howe there to hold it together Bournemouth will struggle.

I also think Millwall are to be earmarked for a play off spot. Already done a couple of decent looking deals this summer.

This is the first time in a while theres no stand out side. This year Leeds and WBA were always favourites. Last year Villa and before that Wolves. No such side IMO next year.

There for the taking for a club that does some shrewd business, addresses weaknesses properly and keeps their best players.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JHRover said:

So now we know the identities of the other 23 clubs we will be up against.

I wonder how Waggott and co. will be able to spin it as little old Rovers struggling to compete.

Only Forest, Derby and Sheff Wednesday really represent significantly bigger gates etc.

The day I accept that the rest are bigger, better or ahead of Blackburn Rovers is a long way away.

Clearly the 3 relegated clubs will have the benefit of parachute cash but Watford and Bournemouth will have some serious work to do. Then we've the promoted clubs of homeless Coventry, Rotherham and Wycombe. Nope nothing to see there.

At this stage I expect Stoke, Norwich and Middlesbrough to be in and around the top end. I rate O'Neill at Stoke, Norwich will know the league and should transition smoothly. Boro have the Warnock factor so if he's up for it and gets backing they'll be thereabouts. Watford and Bournemouth could do well depending on their appointments and squads but i think without Howe there to hold it together Bournemouth will struggle.

I also think Millwall are to be earmarked for a play off spot. Already done a couple of decent looking deals this summer.

This is the first time in a while theres no stand out side. This year Leeds and WBA were always favourites. Last year Villa and before that Wolves. No such side IMO next year.

There for the taking for a club that does some shrewd business, addresses weaknesses properly and keeps their best players.

If he was able to spin West Brom as a massive club, he'll spin Boro as a massive club. 

• Like 1

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

If he was able to spin West Brom as a massive club, he'll spin Boro as a massive club. 

Oh he already has. Them and Stoke. Only last week it was Sunderland and Ipswich he was waxing lyrical about.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Very strange.

Agreed. They need Championship experience, Stoke and Huddersfield showed you don't get straight out of this league easily.

Because they are at a juncture whereby they could easily become further and further away from a Premier League return the longer they dont get promoted. They are obviously going to sell a number of key assets, Ake has already raised 40m and the likes of King, Wilson and Brooks will all probably be off. 

Beneath that they do have some players capable of being good Championship players, but will likely have quite a bit of money to play with. I think they would be best served getting someone more proven.

Also, Howe has been there for so many years and things had become stagnant and I think they are in need of a fresh face, not his rookie assistant.

Hughton is the obvious one. Proven track record at this level, a fresh face, experience, a track record, the ability to tighten up a historically leaky defence.

You mention Fulham @Bigdoggsteel they were very much in the best position of anyone, financially and in terms of playing squad to come up, fair play to Parker for getting up through the play offs, and I am not saying that Tindall is definitely a poor choice. But I would personally go for someone with a proven Championship track record at a time whereby they should be one of the favourites for promotion and need to make a strong push to get back as soon as possible otherwise they are likely to settle outside.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Because they are at a juncture whereby they could easily become further and further away from a Premier League return the longer they dont get promoted. They are obviously going to sell a number of key assets, Ake has already raised 40m and the likes of King, Wilson and Brooks will all probably be off. 

Beneath that they do have some players capable of being good Championship players, but will likely have quite a bit of money to play with. I think they would be best served getting someone more proven.

Also, Howe has been there for so many years and things had become stagnant and I think they are in need of a fresh face, not his rookie assistant.

Hughton is the obvious one. Proven track record at this level, a fresh face, experience, a track record, the ability to tighten up a historically leaky defence.

You mention Fulham @Bigdoggsteel they were very much in the best position of anyone, financially and in terms of playing squad to come up, fair play to Parker for getting up through the play offs, and I am not saying that Tindall is definitely a poor choice. But I would personally go for someone with a proven Championship track record at a time whereby they should be one of the favourites for promotion and need to make a strong push to get back as soon as possible otherwise they are likely to settle outside.

Ya, but they must see continuity as the way forward, rather than ripping the plan up and getting a whole new team in. Either option is a gamble I suppose. They will still have a decent side and I can't help but get the feeling last season was just one too many for Howe. Nothing really wrong there apart from that. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, but they must see continuity as the way forward, rather than ripping the plan up and getting a whole new team in. Either option is a gamble I suppose. They will still have a decent side and I can't help but get the feeling last season was just one too many for Howe. Nothing really wrong there apart from that. 

If ever there was a sign that things got stagnant and samey, it was there. For me, it cries out for a bit of experience and a bit of outside thinking. Bournemouth arent a big club so could struggle to get back to the Premier League unless its fairly quick.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

If ever there was a sign that things got stagnant and samey, it was there. For me, it cries out for a bit of experience and a bit of outside thinking. Bournemouth arent a big club so could struggle to get back to the Premier League unless its fairly quick.

Ya, who knows if they aren't right up there they may feel the pressure to pull the plug and get say Hughton in. They seem to have sensible owners anyway. That must be nice. 

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its a fair point about Stagnant about Bournemouth but if they feel that Tindall is the man plus if finances are being tighter this summer with clubs who have made internal appointment after a change of manager which has been seen at League 1 and 2 clubs. 

I'm sure Tindall has his own ideas and if the squad is change enough it come work. 

you do bring up Hughton name every time but why aren't clubs not appointing him I wonder?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Its a fair point about Stagnant about Bournemouth but if they feel that Tindall is the man plus if finances are being tighter this summer with clubs who have made internal appointment after a change of manager which has been seen at League 1 and 2 clubs. 

I'm sure Tindall has his own ideas and if the squad is change enough it come work. 

you do bring up Hughton name every time but why aren't clubs not appointing him I wonder?

Any managerial appointment in theory could work but its what is most likely to work.

I personally think for Bournemouth, at a time of an inevitable turnover of players, probably with a bit of money relatively speaking even if its a fraction of the proceeds from selling off their crown jewels, when they really could do with getting back up if at all possible. They should go for someone with fresh ideas and can attract someone with a proven track record

Obviously as a Rovers fan in the same league I would prefer them to appoint Tindall and Bristol City Holden because whilst of course there is a chance that they could do well, as with anyone, we want other Championship clubs to be as weak as possible. 

Maybe Hughton realises that his stock is high because of the Championship record that he has and he therefore has the choice of being able to wait and pick and choose his ideal job at this level.

• Like 2

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Which clubs are you referring to? Middlesbrough appointed Warnock who is probably as good if not better than Hughton. Birmingham went for Karanka because they seem to like Spain at the moment and are also run by loons. Bristol City, Bournemouth and Watford are still vacant and Hughton is one of the front runners for all of them.

Bristol City have a head coach structure and seem to prefer having a young pliable coach in the dugout with Mark Ashton running things.

Hughton has done enough at this level to be able to name his terms and price and relax and wait for a club to match it. 

Its the age old story. Clubs want sexy and 60 odd year old British managers like McCarthy and Hughton don't get the pulses racing. They do get the job.done well though.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Any managerial appointment in theory could work but its what is most likely to work.

I personally think for Bournemouth, at a time of an inevitable turnover of players, probably with a bit of money relatively speaking even if its a fraction of the proceeds from selling off their crown jewels, when they really could do with getting back up if at all possible. They should go for someone with fresh ideas and can attract someone with a proven track record

Obviously as a Rovers fan in the same league I would prefer them to appoint Tindall and Bristol City Holden because whilst of course there is a chance that they could do well, as with anyone, we want other Championship clubs to be as weak as possible. 

Maybe Hughton realises that his stock is high because of the Championship record that he has and he therefore has the choice of being able to wait and pick and choose his ideal job at this level.

You seen Parker work at Fulham even he was on the coaching staff under previous manager there. He had his own ideas how he wanted his teams to play which was different to previous manager. and he achieve promotion there. 

Bournemouth need a massive turnover in players. Some haven't perform last season. 

Hughton is in 60 years old and he got the Newcastle head coach job on the back of Kinnear health problems and Ashley not wanting Shearer to stay on. So he was once a rookie manager so it can work for some clubs. 

I can understand why some clubs are going for head coach route with them focusing on training and coaching the team whilst recruitment is left to others to scout players and do the leg work as such. 

I do wonder if Hughton wants too much control of non-coaching matters or too much money wages wise. Some managers would complete control and some people are working together with sporting director/director of football. 

27 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Which clubs are you referring to? Middlesbrough appointed Warnock who is probably as good if not better than Hughton. Birmingham went for Karanka because they seem to like Spain at the moment and are also run by loons. Bristol City, Bournemouth and Watford are still vacant and Hughton is one of the front runners for all of them.

Bristol City have a head coach structure and seem to prefer having a young pliable coach in the dugout with Mark Ashton running things.

Hughton has done enough at this level to be able to name his terms and price and relax and wait for a club to match it. 

Its the age old story. Clubs want sexy and 60 odd year old British managers like McCarthy and Hughton don't get the pulses racing. They do get the job.done well though.

I think McCarthy will shortly come back in favour with most championship chairman, as everyone will be having to reduce their budgets this season.

Afteral at Ipswich he reduced the player wage budget by 60% and still kept the challenging for the playoffs each season. The problem is the fans got bored of it and wanted a change.

• Like 1

Hughton has had 4 seasons as a Championship manager, across 3 different clubs. In those 4 seasons he has got automatic promotion twice and got into the play offs twice. In his half season with Brighton he turned them around from relegation to finish mid table.

Call me old fashioned but with that sort of record I'd be paying him what he wants and leaving him to get on with it however he wants.

I've no time for unnecessary gambles on rookies when obvious excellent candidates are waiting for a job. 

A lot of it boils down to people wanting some sort of pat on the back or credit for unearthing someone new rather than just doing the obvious that is known to work.

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Gibson panicked about Woodgate taking the club down. He wanted him appointed and get what he asked for. When Pulis announced he wants going, it was clear that Woodgate would get the job so why did Gibson wait so long to appoint him. strange. 

Birmangham have had most managers and will be surprise if Karanka is still employed by end of the 20/21 season with Birmingham City record with manager. Was Karanka even 1st choice. They have had Rowett, Zola, Redknapp, Cotterill, Monk, Clotet. You are totally corrected by they are run by loons. 

Club owners won't like be told that Hughton price and terms are this. if thats his attitude do you really think they are going to appoint him? 

Do you see Watford appoint Hughton as manager?   

39 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

And they have voted to bring it in immediately 

Reduce the input most L1 and L2 owners have to put in to around £2-4m for the season which is doable.

Problem for the championship is that most owners of a championship clubs are looking likely to have to inject the club with £20-40m of funds at the same time most of their businesses are struggling.

With this backdrop  could see some championship chairman wanting a squad budget of £10-15m a season for over 21s. Would be a way of lowering all player salaries relatively easily and the PFA having no option but to accept.