BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship Season 2020 - 2021

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

Thinking aloud (dangerous, I know), we seem relatively stable compared to several clubs in terms of having a good team (albeit GK, CB and LB gaps need plugging), an experienced manager, and a transfer budget.

We still don't know if we have a transfer budget.

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bristol City have appointed Dean Holden as next head coach with Paul Simpson and Keith Downing assisting him. Holden bringing in his own staff is a positive move and both are very experience people. 

No surprise there rumoured for days.

• Like 1

Crazy, but I am pleased that they have appointed a novice rather than a proven Championship manager in Hughton as it is better for us, being in competition with them.

Reading the comments underneath, it is safe to say that the fans are not happy and understandably so.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 1

Yep, we definitely cant become dependant on other teams being shite

We need to make a few shrewd improvements to weak areas and Mowbray needs to stop with his nonsensical ideas, false 9s, wide strikers etc and get us playing in a way that is familiar and gets the best out of our players.

But Sheffield Wednesday being deducted 12 points and Bristol City and Bournemouth choosing novices or seemingly more qualified and experienced alternatives is a good start in my opinion.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Yep, we definitely cant become dependant on other teams being shite

We need to make a few shrewd improvements to weak areas and Mowbray needs to stop with his nonsensical ideas, false 9s, wide strikers etc and get us playing in a way that is familiar and gets the best out of our players.

But Sheffield Wednesday being deducted 12 points and Bristol City and Bournemouth choosing novices or seemingly more qualified and experienced alternatives is a good start in my opinion.

Don't know too much about Holden's coaching / managerial abilities at Bristol but they seem to have appointed a couple of decent guys to support him (would take them any day over Venus and Lowe) but do know, from relatives down there, that Tindall is very highly rated at Bournemouth and seems, undeservedly, too have lived in Howe's shadow for too long. 

Serious question.

Would any other Championship club take Mowbray?

IMO, there would be no takers - says it all.

14 hours ago, Mercer said:

Don't know too much about Holden's coaching / managerial abilities at Bristol but they seem to have appointed a couple of decent guys to support him (would take them any day over Venus and Lowe) but do know, from relatives down there, that Tindall is very highly rated at Bournemouth and seems, undeservedly, too have lived in Howe's shadow for too long. 

Serious question.

Would any other Championship club take Mowbray?

IMO, there would be no takers - says it all.

100% another club would take him after what he has done here. No doubt about it. 

43 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

100% another club would take him after what he has done here. No doubt about it. 

Maybe Rotherham, Coventry (if he hadn't already been there) or at best an Ipswich if they were to get up again.

Other than that I can't see it. He's done an admirable job which most would respect but nothing sensational that will get clubs queuing up.

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Maybe Rotherham, Coventry (if he hadn't already been there) or at best an Ipswich if they were to get up again.

Other than that I can't see it. He's done an admirable job which most would respect but nothing sensational that will get clubs queuing up.

You could be surprised. I would say a few more than them would be interested. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You could be surprised. I would say a few more than them would be interested. 

Me too. He's rejuvenated his reputation at Ewood. Look at it from the outside.

He took over a Championship team in freefall after the disaster that was Owen Coyle and although suffered relegation he did so on goal difference with a points total that would have kept the team up every other year.

He bounced straight back up via automatic promotion, and has improved from 15th to 11th in his 2 seasons back in Championship. 

All this whilst the club is owned by Venkys. 

Plenty of clubs would take him.

• Like 3

Just now, speeeeeeedie said:

Me too. He's rejuvenated his reputation at Ewood. Look at it from the outside.

He took over a Championship team in freefall after the disaster that was Owen Coyle and although suffered relegation he did so on goal difference with a points total that would have kept the team up every other year.

He bounced straight back up via automatic promotion, and has improved from 15th to 11th in his 2 seasons back in Championship. 

All this whilst the club is owned by Venkys. 

Plenty of clubs would take him.

I wish one of them would.

• Like 7

See i don't think he would. He certainly wouldn't be headhunted. If he was unemployed and keen to return and applied for jobs he might impress in interviews but I don't think many would put him top of their list or pay for his release.

Can forget the likes of Swansea, Bournemouth, Watford, Norwich, Brentford, Barnsley and Huddersfield because they use fancy head coach systems. No chance Stoke, Derby or Forest would be interested. Middlesbrough he's already tried. He might at best get a struggling Sheff Wed or Birmingham to guide them through a sticky spell if struggling.

22 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Crazy, but I am pleased that they have appointed a novice rather than a proven Championship manager in Hughton as it is better for us, being in competition with them.

Reading the comments underneath, it is safe to say that the fans are not happy and understandably so.

Yes. If the old manager isn't good enough, and goes because he has gone stale rather than because he is head hunted etc., then it seems really odd to appoint someone who was a part of that staleness. You'd think that as assistant manager he had a fair bit to do with the rut that they got themselves into. So if the manager needs changing, why put someone who had a key role in the problems in charge? Madness. Poor appointment imo. 

• Like 1

Just now, bazza said:

Be careful what you wish for. A lot of us (stupidly) wanted Big Sam out because of the dire football.

You're comparing a manager who hasn't managed to finish 10th in the Championship to a manager who has finished 10th in the Premier League.You're comparing chalk and cheese or apples and oranges.

Just now, bazza said:

I'm not comparing Mowbray to Sam. We could get a far worse manager than Mowbray if we get rid is what I'm warning about.

There are far better managers than Mowbray about out there as well. This club cannot continue to plod along in mid table whilst he builds up his pension pot.

• Like 3