BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship Season 2020 - 2021

Certainly not seeing the relegated PL sides struggling as per usual this time - Norwich and Bournemouth top two, with Watford only a point behind.

Suppose it shows just how weak the rest of the league is this season...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Certainly not seeing the relegated PL sides struggling as per usual this time - Norwich and Bournemouth top two, with Watford only a point behind.

Suppose it shows just how weak the rest of the league is this season...

Bournemouth are the one that surprise me. A rookie manager doesn't often do that well, although I guess Fulham's squad compensated for Parker's weaknesses. But given I don't think Bournmouth's squad was as strong I am surprised they are doing so well. Norwich and Watford less of a surprise imo.   

13 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Bournemouth are the one that surprise me. A rookie manager doesn't often do that well, although I guess Fulham's squad compensated for Parker's weaknesses. But given I don't think Bournmouth's squad was as strong I am surprised they are doing so well. Norwich and Watford less of a surprise imo.   

Bournemouth had been in the PL 5 seasons and so were pretty well PL class throughout the squad. It really showed second half against Reading.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I and a few others got a panning for endorsing the Norwich approach in the PL last season.

Guess who is top of the Championship.

Playing Yoyo pays well.

Bournemouth have a very strong squad for the Championship and possibly the best set of attacking forwards. 

They might well go back up, but it still wouldnt justify their own chairman and manager saying publically that they had less than 5% chance of survival and throwing in the towel before a ball was kicked, sapping any hope from a season of Premier League football. They could have given the Premier League a proper go, whether that was by not spending as they did but just having a better attitude or indeed spending shrewdly and prudently on players that wouldnt break the wage structure, in an ideal world they could have stayed up and been 10x better off, but also safe in the knowledge that relegation was something that wouldnt pose any risks.

The problem with endorsing such defeatism is that it assumes that the only other option is to take a massive risk and buy a series of over priced and aging players for massive sums, when there is a happy medium. The money that they have spent this summer on players like Hugill and Dowell hasnt particularly improved them either.

On 22/11/2020 at 06:37, roversfan99 said:

They might well go back up, but it still wouldnt justify their own chairman and manager saying publically that they had less than 5% chance of survival and throwing in the towel before a ball was kicked, sapping any hope from a season of Premier League football. They could have given the Premier League a proper go, whether that was by not spending as they did but just having a better attitude or indeed spending shrewdly and prudently on players that wouldnt break the wage structure, in an ideal world they could have stayed up and been 10x better off, but also safe in the knowledge that relegation was something that wouldnt pose any risks.

The problem with endorsing such defeatism is that it assumes that the only other option is to take a massive risk and buy a series of over priced and aging players for massive sums, when there is a happy medium. The money that they have spent this summer on players like Hugill and Dowell hasnt particularly improved them either.

One year PL, one year top in the Championship. rinse and repeat. 

I could take that as a Slow Build as I am sure that Norwich after paying off debts accrued will reinvest properly when timing is right.

They have reasonably rich owners but nowhere near the wealth of our Billionaires so chose caution and not a PL investment gamble to stay up. It working out fine ... so far, and a damn sight better than our feck up.

The Jam Today approach when there is actually jam on the table is ok.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

One year PL, one year top in the Championship. rinse and repeat. 

I could take that as a Slow Build as I am sure that Norwich after paying off debts accrued will reinvest properly when timing is right.

They have reasonably rich owners but nowhere near the wealth of our Billionaires so chose caution and not a PL investment gamble to stay up. It working out fine ... so fat, and a damn sight better than our feck up.

The Jam Today approach when there is actually jam on the table is ok.

I get that, the reason that it didnt sit right with me is because everyone at the club publically accepted relegation before it happened and I refuse to accept that such an attitude was necessary as much as I understand prudence and not taking risks with finances. Even if a team insists on spending absolutely nothing upon promotion, you can still attack the Premier League with a bit more ambition without writing the season off before it starts.

I'd be amazed if Big Sam would be interested in going to Derby. Why drop to the bottom of the Championship? He's virtually retired, not worked for over 2 years, and said he wasn't looking to return. The only way I can see it is one last hurrah and a massive bonus for survival and promotion in the next 18 months. 

If there is truth to it then that's Derby and Sheff Wed who have secured safety already just with managerial changes.

46 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'd be amazed if Big Sam would be interested in going to Derby. Why drop to the bottom of the Championship.

He's not worked for a while now, the trend is for younger german managers etc instead of your big sams etc.

He will get good money, fairly local, and nice bonus etc.....got to pay the bills 

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

He's not worked for a while now, the trend is for younger german managers etc instead of your big sams etc.

He will get good money, fairly local, and nice bonus etc.....got to pay the bills 

True, I get the impression that a big bonus and salary would tempt Allardyce out of retirement.

I just remember when he left Palace he did so on his own terms and said that he was retiring and wasn't looking to manage again. He made a comeback for the Everton job but in fairness that would have been a big temptation - big club, loads of money to spend, chance to challenge for Europe etc. He got an incredible deal at Everton to keep them up and a massive pay off when sacked so he won't need to work.

I'd just be surprised if he dropped into the Championship, especially when they've little chance of going up this season so will be at least 18 months before he can get them promoted. By then he'll be nearly 68. Does he really need to prove himself in the Championship at his age? If it were me I'd be relaxing enjoying life and might make a comeback if it was a Premier League club or international job.

38 minutes ago, JHRover said:

True, I get the impression that a big bonus and salary would tempt Allardyce out of retirement.

I just remember when he left Palace he did so on his own terms and said that he was retiring and wasn't looking to manage again. He made a comeback for the Everton job but in fairness that would have been a big temptation - big club, loads of money to spend, chance to challenge for Europe etc. He got an incredible deal at Everton to keep them up and a massive pay off when sacked so he won't need to work.

I'd just be surprised if he dropped into the Championship, especially when they've little chance of going up this season so will be at least 18 months before he can get them promoted. By then he'll be nearly 68. Does he really need to prove himself in the Championship at his age? If it were me I'd be relaxing enjoying life and might make a comeback if it was a Premier League club or international job.

Long time retired and he looked relatively fit on GMTV this morning.  Looks like he's lost weight.

I'd wager he will be chomping at the bit.

58 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Schhhteve McClaren appointed advisor to the board at Derby. 

His first advice to them should be not to give Rooney the job. ??

In all seriousness how do his ilk keep getting well paid jobs in football. When I see stories like this I think of the old adage 'bullshit baffles brains'.

I actually think this is a smart and astute move by Derby.

McClaren has vast experience, granted not all successful, but he knows the Championship, knows English football and has also worked in Holland, Germany and Israel. He also knows Derby inside out having been manager there twice in recent years.

At the moment they are a bit rudderless with ownership transition and inexperienced caretaker coaches. His advice could be very useful.

With new foreign owners seemingly coming in and having given this appointment their blessing it seems at the very least they recognise the need for someone in there with experience who knows the industry and division to help. That's a good start rather than coming in thinking they know best and running the show like cowboys.

It's probably the equivalent of Venkys appointing Souness as Director of Football when they took over. We all know what they did instead.