BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship Season 2020 - 2021

I can't see any fair way that a cap could be imposed in the Championship without the Premier League playing along with it too. Otherwise it will just exacerbate the existing problem with parachute equipped clubs coming down and blowing everyone out of the water.

I agree with the idea in principle but only if fairly applied across all divisions.

Hughton can be very selective about where he goes. I am sure the club would really have to show him they are serious about automatic promotion, let alone making the top 6. 

As for McCarthy, ya, not a sexy choice but gets the job done and meets or exceeds expectations wherever he goes. I don't actually get why some fans are critical of his style (ignorance perhaps?) because he plays different ways depending on the players at his disposal. Case in point 1, look at Ipswich after he left.

There are just a lot of basket case owners in the Championship too. I reckon he would do well at Sheffield wednesday for example, but I think he will probably end up at Barnsley. Who knows what way the season will pan out though. Jesus Wigan could do a lot worse if they could persuade him to drop down to League 1.  

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

2 minutes ago, phili said:

Reduce the input most L1 and L2 owners have to put in to around £2-4m for the season which is doable.

Problem for the championship is that most owners of a championship clubs are looking likely to have to inject the club with £20-40m of funds at the same time most of their businesses are struggling.

With this backdrop  could see some championship chairman wanting a squad budget of £10-15m a season for over 21s. Would be a way of lowering all player salaries relatively easily and the PFA having no option but to accept. 

We would have had to let our whole squad go. What was our wage bill there, was 8 million or was it 12? 

Just now, phili said:

According to the accounts for the 2017/2018 season our wages paid was £16.8m as first team is around 90% of that it was pretty much £15m.

That was the pre-tax loss not the wage bill

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11676/11671654/blackburn-report-16-8m-loss-for-league-one-promotion-season

Rovers wage bill was £8m

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18636225.salary-caps-introduced-championship-discussions-ongoing/

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

8 million is still massive when compared to next seasons limit. Hard to see how Wigan can keep almost any of their senior players even if their takeover goes well. If your whole wage bill stretches to about 50 grand a week, you can't be having a player on 8-10 unless they're so good that they almost get you promotion by themselves.

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

8 million is still massive when compared to next seasons limit. Hard to see how Wigan can keep almost any of their senior players even if their takeover goes well. If your whole wage bill stretches to about 50 grand a week, you can't be having a player on 8-10 unless they're so good that they almost get you promotion by themselves.

It is massive. I think Wigan's was about £5m that season and then the next highest was Shrewsbury's at about £2.5m iirc. 

It would be interesting to see what Wycombe's was this season for comparison.

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

12 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

£16.8m for both according to the accounts

Capture.PNG

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Curious. It was reported widely as £8m at the time and Sharpe is still going with that. But if they are the accounts and that isn't a printing error then fair enough. 

I can't work that one out, as no one left when we were relegated to League 1 and we added a number of players such as Whittingham and Dack.

Looks like most players had 40% wage cuts in their contracts. 

By the looks of it we really need to get turnover back to £22m a season and develop and sell a £10m player asset per season.

I think Mowbray did say the football budget for the lge 1 season was about 8 million.  The rest was probably still paying off outstanding monies owed to god knows how many other people.

Who knows who's actually on the payroll of BRFC.

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Hughton can be very selective about where he goes. I am sure the club would really have to show him they are serious about automatic promotion, let alone making the top 6. 

As for McCarthy, ya, not a sexy choice but gets the job done and meets or exceeds expectations wherever he goes. I don't actually get why some fans are critical of his style (ignorance perhaps?) because he plays different ways depending on the players at his disposal. Case in point 1, look at Ipswich after he left.

There are just a lot of basket case owners in the Championship too. I reckon he would do well at Sheffield wednesday for example, but I think he will probably end up at Barnsley. Who knows what way the season will pan out though. Jesus Wigan could do a lot worse if they could persuade him to drop down to League 1.  

Ah come on - how sexy is this?

Still, he would be an upgrade on TM, no doubt and knows how to get the best out of what he has.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Thinking aloud (dangerous, I know), we seem relatively stable compared to several clubs in terms of having a good team (albeit GK, CB and LB gaps need plugging), an experienced manager, and a transfer budget.

Other clubs seem to have various difficulties, be it a points deduction, novice managers appointed, or massively reducing wage bills.

Maybe we could get to the playoffs despite Mowbray next season?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

Thinking aloud (dangerous, I know), we seem relatively stable compared to several clubs in terms of having a good team (albeit GK, CB and LB gaps need plugging), an experienced manager, and a transfer budget.

Other clubs seem to have various difficulties, be it a points deduction, novice managers appointed, or massively reducing wage bills.

Theres no way that we, as a team coming off 15th and 11th place finishes, could get a top 6 finish in spite of our manager.

4 hours ago, Mike E said:

Apart from the incoming Gareth Ainsworth, TM is the longest serving manager in the Championship.

Not sure if it says more about this madcap League than our manager’s proficiency, but he can have no complaints on having the time (and the freedom) to mould together a side and way of playing. So with what looks like a wide open league this time, surely we need to now see a sustained assault on the top 6?

*And of course, such freedom and stability means there should be no shortage of interested parties when there’s next a vacancy...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Apart from the incoming Gareth Ainsworth, TM is the longest serving manager in the Championship.

Not sure if it says more about this madcap League than our manager’s proficiency, but he can have no complaints on having the time (and the freedom) to mould together a side and way of playing. So with what looks like a wide open league this time, surely we need to now see a sustained assault on the top 6?

*And of course, such freedom and stability means there should be no shortage of interested parties when there’s next a vacancy...

I think the serious push for the top 6 should have been this season coming as we've been "Building" for a few transfer windows now but it will only be realistic if Mowbray resolves some of the issues we have:

1. Signing a decent Keeper, centre back and left back

2. Keeping hold of our better players

3. Mowbray making the minor adjustments to our starting 11 that are required such as NOT playing Gallagher outwide.

4. Striking the right balance between  attack and defence. Post lockdown we conceded way too many goals to consider any form of realistic promotion push.

I can't see those 4 things happening because of Coronavirus, Mowbray's stubbornness and his questionable transfer record. 

Edited by davulsukur