BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

• 3 weeks later...

This isn't a normal pre-season though, the players have had a slightly longer international break off, it's not like it's been a full summer and they need three weeks of fitness work. They'll be back in Monday and by Friday they'll be playing 90 minute games behind closed doors. I'd imagine like we saw moreso last year, there's going to be plenty of tweets from Rich Sharpe saying "Rovers played Fleetwood today at Brockhall" and no doubt Ben Brereton has scored four goals when nobody was watching too ;) 

Mowbray has made clear his plan to focus pre-season on friendlies, rather than fitness, believing the work his players put in during lockdown, and after the re-start, will stand them in good stead.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18648940.need-know-rovers-plans-2020-21-season/

Hard not to be anything but bemused by this. Friendlies are even more pointless this pre-season than ever. Gaping holes in the squad. The team (and therefore formation) in these games will be (I’m very worried if not) hugely different by the end of the window than now. No fans. Results irrelevant.

Does Mowbray really think our fitness levels are where they should be? So much so this can be de-prioritised?

5 hours ago, JoeH said:

This isn't a normal pre-season though, the players have had a slightly longer international break off, it's not like it's been a full summer and they need three weeks of fitness work. They'll be back in Monday and by Friday they'll be playing 90 minute games behind closed doors. I'd imagine like we saw moreso last year, there's going to be plenty of tweets from Rich Sharpe saying "Rovers played Fleetwood today at Brockhall" and no doubt Ben Brereton has scored four goals when nobody was watching too ;) 

Creepy. ? first friendly against Fleetwood next weekend announced

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, OnePhilT said:

After seeing how the turf was digging up far too easily in yesterday's cup game (Fisher also made a hashed clearance when it bobbled just in front of him at one point), I'm wondering what they can really do about it. Would there be enough time (or finances!) to re-lay the pitch at this stage?

Maybe Everton didn't want to risk some of their "Stars" on such a surface and simply said forget it.

35 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Could they not just move it to goodison park. 

I don't understand why they didn't arrange it for Brockhall once it was confirmed BCD. Yesterday there seemed to be quite a few stewards who were stewarding absolutely nothing but as it was a league cup match it had to be at Ewood and as such stewarded. These would have to have been paid for a friendly in the same empty stadium. Brockhall with its decent pitches would serve exactly the purpose of a pre season game.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Except we've got Leicester between now and then - a friendly that was announced just two days ago, so I'm not sure your PR announcement would stack up!

It doesn’t always matter if it stacks up. That is what PR is about.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, arbitro said:

I don't understand why they didn't arrange it for Brockhall once it was confirmed BCD. Yesterday there seemed to be quite a few stewards who were stewarding absolutely nothing but as it was a league cup match it had to be at Ewood and as such stewarded. These would have to have been paid for a friendly in the same empty stadium. Brockhall with its decent pitches would serve exactly the purpose of a pre season game.

Made me laugh when it went to half time and you could hear Neil Yardley reading the half time scores as normal like there were 9 or 10k in the ground.

Who was he reading them too?