BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stuart Metcalfe :(

Very sad news.  Remember him making his debut and what a superb player he was.  Started out as a winger but developed into an outstanding midfield player.  A key member of the Third Division Championship side under Gordon Lee and such a wonderfully gifted player.  RIP Stuart. 

• Like 1

Only saw him once as i can recall when i was a kid and that was away at Newcastle and the infamous og in a dead rubber game.

Always seemed though that he was held in high esteem by Rovers fans from his era so that was no big deal. In fact i think he'd made a comeback just to help the club out.

RIP

Edited by tomphil

One of those rare Rovers players that a lot of local folk will have played with and against as well. Mecky played for (I think) Feniscowles in the West Lancs League after he retired as a pro and also in the Orphanage Cup well into his 40s. A brilliant player and a fantastic bloke too. Terrible news this. RIP Mecky ?x

One of my favourite players in my early days of watching the Club.

Wonderfully gifted player even if he often had to swivel round 180 degrees to get the ball onto his favoured foot. I used to have a picture on my bedroom wall of him dribbling with the ball and an opposition player on his knees in the background looking in  wonderment at how Meccy had managed to take it round him.

Also remember seeing us playing Chelsea in the Championship c1976 against an 18 year old Ray "Butch" Wilkins and thinking how I'd much  rather have Metcalfe.

Of course in recent years you'd be more likely to see him out and about locally enjoying a few beers and laughs with the likes of David Bradford who used to run Brownhill Post Office. You would never get that today with today's multimillionaire players who aren't actually fit to place his boots.

RIP Stuart.

• Like 6

Ended up working at Calderstones hospital for many years as a mental health nurse with my mum, also as Rev says was a regular in the boozers around Pleckgate and Brownhill, as people have said, different times!

RIP Stuart.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Sad, sad news. He really was one of our is own and if kissing the badge was in vogue in Mecky's days he could have done it with sincerity.

I remember carrying him off the pitch at Port Vale in 1975 as we had just clinched promotion. We were one big, happy family and he was integral to that. He was a great player for us with skill and real aggression and formed a great combination with Tony Parkes. The accolades are a fitting tribute to a Blackburner to his core.

RIP Stuart.

• Like 7

What a shock that news is. I remember Stuart when he first came into the team on the right wing. He was a real handful, very tricky and quick, he could cross a ball which is a bit of a rarity in todays football. We all know he favoured his right foot more than most but he still ran full backs ragged. He was our best player in the 4-1 Cup defeat by City and I thought he was the only one of our players that wouldn't have looked out of place in their  very good team. Later on he moved into midfield where he was just as effective. Although he wasn't a big lad he could take a kick and give a kick, you didn't take liberties with him. He'd walk into the current team either on the right wing or in central midfield.

Like a few of the other posters on here he was roughly my age and  I suppose we all identified with him more closely because of that reason.

Thanks for the memories Stuart.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Sad, sad news. He really was one of our is own and if kissing the badge was in vogue in Mecky's days he could have done it with sincerity.

I remember carrying him off the pitch at Port Vale in 1975 as we had just clinched promotion. We were one big, happy family and he was integral to that. He was a great player for us with skill and real aggression and formed a great combination with Tony Parkes. The accolades are a fitting tribute to a Blackburner to his core.

RIP Stuart.

I was in that same throng on the pitch at Burslem after he scored too. And I will always remember the large Rovers following, chanting, "Nice One, Stuart" for one of our very own.

So sad. One of my favourite players of all time. Thanks for the happy memories. God Bless.

• Like 4

So sorry to read about Stuart Metcalf this morning.  He was part of my youth.

I think that he could have made it today.  He had the rare ability to beat a man by taking the ball so near to his opponent that it was untrue even though the opponent would know he was going on his right foot.  He was excellent.

Thanks for the memories and rest in piece Stuart.

Just now, A Northern Horde... said:

R.I.P. fellow Rover.Thank you for your contribution in the famous old Blue 'n' White.

Didn't Stuart used to co-commentate on Rovers games via Radio Rovers in the past?

Yeah from memory he was on most games in the Souness era

• Like 1

Sad news indeed. I always used to laugh at his one-footedness, as he went round in endless circles in the centre of the pitch. Wasn't it Meccy who scored that unbelievable (own?) goal from half way one rainy evening at Ewood - I could swear I have a memory of being in the old Nuttal Street stand with my Dad, with the rain being driven in wild sheets from the Blackburn End to Darwen end, and watching in disbelief as Meccy hit the ball into the net. (Maybe I dreamed this!?)

Anyway, a top bloke, always a Rover and another who would put many of today's so called 'professional footballers' to shame with his commitment to the club.

Legend. RIP Meccy.