BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stuart Metcalfe :(

Sad, sad news.

First saw Stuart playing for Blackburn school boys at Griffin Park and a team mate of his then was an Ian Gillibrand who  was attracting a lot of attention from First Division clubs and eventually went to Arsenal.  Remember my dad saying, forget Gillibrand it's that young Metcalfe who has something about him and he was right (Gillibrand faded into relative obscurity and think he ended up at Wigan).

Think he was only 17 when he made his debut for Rovers and he clearly was a very talented lad and never seemed fazed by anything.

I remember some big, big battles he had with the likes of Trevor Hockey and Willie Carlin (feisty characters) - Metcalfe could certainly mix it!

Formed an awesome partnership with Tony Parkes in Gordon Lee's super unit that won promotion from the old Third Division in the 1970's.

Some great memories.

RIP Stuart.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

RIP Stuart. As a schoolboy, played both with and against Meccy. I remember stopping by his house in Mill Hill to find him kicking a tennis ball against the stone wall on the cobblestones of their back ginnel. That’s how you mastered ball control, old school.

Remember him showing us his new boots paid for by the Rovers, for whom he had just signed. He had picked them up in Manchester. We were in awe. 

His sister, Christine, was the last girl that I dated before leaving for Canada. We all gathered at the Lions Dance Club on Saturday evenings. A good lad, Stuart. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, A Northern Horde... said:

R.I.P. fellow Rover.Thank you for your contribution in the famous old Blue 'n' White.

Didn't Stuart used to co-commentate on Rovers games via Radio Rovers in the past?

I was editing this yesterday morning coincidentally....

5 hours ago, Mercer said:

Sad, sad news.

First saw Stuart playing for Blackburn school boys at Griffin Park and a team mate of his then was an Ian Gillibrand who  was attracting a lot of attention from First Division clubs and eventually went to Arsenal.  Remember my dad saying, forget Gillibrand it's that young Metcalfe who has something about him and he was right (Gillibrand faded into relative obscurity and think he ended up at Wigan).

Think he was only 17 when he made his debut for Rovers and he clearly was a very talented lad and never seemed fazed by anything.

I remember some big, big battles he had with the likes of Trevor Hockey and Willie Carlin (feisty characters) - Metcalfe could certainly mix it!

Formed an awesome partnership with Tony Parkes in Gordon Lee's super unit that won promotion from the old Third Division in the 1970's.

Some great memories.

RIP Stuart.

Yes, ended up at Wigan, lived on Sandy Lane in Lower Darwen and died at a relatively young age.

As others have said, such a sad loss. I recall standing on the Blackburn End with my Grandad in the late 60s watching a youth team match against Liverpool. I'd be 7 or 8 years of age, Metcalfe was outstanding and Grandad told me with reference to mecky, "he'll be signing up soon on £200 a week". I never forgot that, a fortune I thought!

Stuart Metcalfe, you were a Blackburn Rovers legend and one of our own.

RIP.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LDRover said:

Yes, ended up at Wigan, lived on Sandy Lane in Lower Darwen and died at a relatively young age.

That means there were two Ian Gillibrands lived within yards of each other (the other was in Kingston Place and still very much alive and aged about 60) 

Like others, my very fond memories of Stuart were as part of the '75 promotion-winning side, playing alongside Tony Parkes.

I have a vague memory of Stuart being round at my girlfriend's house some time in the early '80s, and he was a a lovely fella.

A life well-lived, but one far too short.

Awful news that a lad who really was "one of our own" has left us at such a comparatively early age.

Others have shared their memories of him and his versatility; we're talking of a Rovers' icon here. Let's hope that the club's tweet is a preliminary to some sort of appropriate recognition by the club of a "local lad made good".

• Like 1

I don't remember Stuart Metcalfe personally as I think he played before my time as a supporter, but I certainly know his name as someone who is part of the fabric of the club. My dad talks highly of him as do all those who've commented above.

Such a shame when news like this is announced, albeit it revives find memories for so many. It sounds like no-one had a bad word to say about him.

RIP sir.

Edited by Atko's Engine

15 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

That means there were two Ian Gillibrands lived within yards of each other (the other was in Kingston Place and still very much alive and aged about 60) 

I thought the Ian Gillbrand who went to Arsenal lived on Branch Road, where Bryan Douglas also lived. But I may be mistaken.

16 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

I thought the Ian Gillbrand who went to Arsenal lived on Branch Road, where Bryan Douglas also lived. But I may be mistaken.

Oh I wasn’t questioning that at all mate, it’s just I know the other Ian Gillibrand and was just pointing out the coincidence of two blokes with the same name living in such close proximity to each other.

4 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Oh I wasn’t questioning that at all mate, it’s just I know the other Ian Gillibrand and was just pointing out the coincidence of two blokes with the same name living in such close proximity to each other.

I know exactly what you mean. I live opposite to a guy who has the same name as me. Or do I have the same name as him ? Now I’m really confused ?

Edited by Riversider28
  • Like 1