Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mike E

Stuart Metcalfe :(

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Sad, sad news.

First saw Stuart playing for Blackburn school boys at Griffin Park and a team mate of his then was an Ian Gillibrand who  was attracting a lot of attention from First Division clubs and eventually went to Arsenal.  Remember my dad saying, forget Gillibrand it's that young Metcalfe who has something about him and he was right (Gillibrand faded into relative obscurity and think he ended up at Wigan).

Think he was only 17 when he made his debut for Rovers and he clearly was a very talented lad and never seemed fazed by anything.

I remember some big, big battles he had with the likes of Trevor Hockey and Willie Carlin (feisty characters) - Metcalfe could certainly mix it!

Formed an awesome partnership with Tony Parkes in Gordon Lee's super unit that won promotion from the old Third Division in the 1970's.

Some great memories.

RIP Stuart.

    

Edited by Mercer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RIP Stuart. As a schoolboy, played both with and against Meccy. I remember stopping by his house in Mill Hill to find him kicking a tennis ball against the stone wall on the cobblestones of their back ginnel. That’s how you mastered ball control, old school.

Remember him showing us his new boots paid for by the Rovers, for whom he had just signed. He had picked them up in Manchester. We were in awe. 

His sister, Christine, was the last girl that I dated before leaving for Canada. We all gathered at the Lions Dance Club on Saturday evenings. A good lad, Stuart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, A Northern Horde... said:

R.I.P. fellow Rover.Thank you for your contribution in the famous old Blue 'n' White.

Didn't Stuart used to co-commentate on Rovers games via Radio Rovers in the past?

I was editing this yesterday morning coincidentally....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mercer said:

Sad, sad news.

First saw Stuart playing for Blackburn school boys at Griffin Park and a team mate of his then was an Ian Gillibrand who  was attracting a lot of attention from First Division clubs and eventually went to Arsenal.  Remember my dad saying, forget Gillibrand it's that young Metcalfe who has something about him and he was right (Gillibrand faded into relative obscurity and think he ended up at Wigan).

Think he was only 17 when he made his debut for Rovers and he clearly was a very talented lad and never seemed fazed by anything.

I remember some big, big battles he had with the likes of Trevor Hockey and Willie Carlin (feisty characters) - Metcalfe could certainly mix it!

Formed an awesome partnership with Tony Parkes in Gordon Lee's super unit that won promotion from the old Third Division in the 1970's.

Some great memories.

RIP Stuart.

    

Yes, ended up at Wigan, lived on Sandy Lane in Lower Darwen and died at a relatively young age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember going to Ewood in the late 60s to see an England Youth International. I reckon 99% of the crowd were there to see our new wonderkid - Stuart Metcalfe.

Great Rover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said, such a sad loss. I recall standing on the Blackburn End with my Grandad in the late 60s watching a youth team match against Liverpool. I'd be 7 or 8 years of age, Metcalfe was outstanding and Grandad told me with reference to mecky, "he'll be signing up soon on £200 a week". I never forgot that, a fortune I thought!

Stuart Metcalfe, you were a Blackburn Rovers legend and one of our own.

RIP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know the cause of death? 69 doesn’t seem that old nowadays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

When he first came on the scene he was hailed as the next Bryan Douglas. Unfair, as the Douglas’s only come along, if you’re lucky, once in a lifetime. Stuart, however, was still a class act and a great servant to the club, in one of the most difficult periods in it’s history. I believe he deserves to be incorporated into the Hall of Fame.

RIP and condolences to all his family and friends

Edited by renrag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

I was editing this yesterday morning coincidentally....

 

Many thanks for posting this on such a sad day.

Stuart was remarkably restrained!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LDRover said:

Yes, ended up at Wigan, lived on Sandy Lane in Lower Darwen and died at a relatively young age.

That means there were two Ian Gillibrands lived within yards of each other (the other was in Kingston Place and still very much alive and aged about 60) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like others, my very fond memories of Stuart were as part of the '75 promotion-winning side, playing alongside Tony Parkes.

I have a vague memory of Stuart being round at my girlfriend's house some time in the early '80s, and he was a a lovely fella.

A life well-lived, but one far too short.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, den said:

Anyone know the cause of death? 69 doesn’t seem that old nowadays.

I don’t actually know but sure I heard he had Alzheimer’s. Might be totally wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awful news that a lad who really was "one of our own" has left us at such a comparatively early age.

Others have shared their memories of him and his versatility; we're talking of a Rovers' icon here. Let's hope that the club's tweet is a preliminary to some sort of appropriate recognition by the club of a "local lad made good".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first games where at the end of the 60s but Metcalfe was an integral part of all the old hard men teams . Jim smiths and Kendall. Great player from great times. RIP

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I don't remember Stuart Metcalfe personally as I think he played before my time as a supporter, but I certainly know his name as someone who is part of the fabric of the club. My dad talks highly of him as do all those who've commented above.

Such a shame when news like this is announced, albeit it revives find memories for so many. It sounds like no-one had a bad word to say about him.

RIP sir.

Edited by Atko's Engine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, matt83 said:

I don’t actually know but sure I heard he had Alzheimer’s. Might be totally wrong. 

Thanks Matt, I’ve now read that somewhere else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, den said:

Thanks Matt, I’ve now read that somewhere else. 

That seems to be very prevalent in footballers of a certain era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

That means there were two Ian Gillibrands lived within yards of each other (the other was in Kingston Place and still very much alive and aged about 60) 

I thought the Ian Gillbrand who went to Arsenal lived on Branch Road, where Bryan Douglas also lived. But I may be mistaken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

I thought the Ian Gillbrand who went to Arsenal lived on Branch Road, where Bryan Douglas also lived. But I may be mistaken.

Oh I wasn’t questioning that at all mate, it’s just I know the other Ian Gillibrand and was just pointing out the coincidence of two blokes with the same name living in such close proximity to each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Oh I wasn’t questioning that at all mate, it’s just I know the other Ian Gillibrand and was just pointing out the coincidence of two blokes with the same name living in such close proximity to each other.

I know exactly what you mean. I live opposite to a guy who has the same name as me. Or do I have the same name as him ? Now I’m really confused 😂

Edited by Riversider28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two blokes called Riversider28 living across the road from each other?

What are the odds?? Even in Blackburn!🤔😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.