BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Worst Rovers signing ever?

In terms of being a disgrace to the shirt, Orr and Murphy, with the likes of Etuhu and Best not far behind. Horrible time to be a Rover that 12/13 season (apart from Kean leaving). All useless on the pitch but I hated having them at the club.

In terms of us signing players for dodgy reasons that weren't even proper footballers, Myles Anderson and Edinho.

For players not living up to a big transfer fee, Kevin Davies, Barry Ferguson, Grabbi and - as it stands, thankfully he's got time to change this - Mr Brereton. Must be a £7m curse as the slightly more expensive ones, Rhodes and Andy Cole, worked out.

• Like 1

Kevin Davies for me. Taking player inflation into account, that would be like paying at least 20-30 million, maybe even more for him at least in today's money. Throw in that we gave them a young James Beattie, Rovers fan and future England international as a sweetener. Awful deal. 

As well as that, whilst we got him on a free transfer, the lack of impact from Javi De Pedro was the biggest under-performance vs expectations for me, even more than Murphy and that's saying something. Was only about 12/13 at the time, genuinely thought he was going to tear up the league. My first insight into the dangers of judging a player from Championship Manager!

• Like 1

Javi de Pedro was brilliant for Spain in the 2002 world cup, as well as being a key player in a very good Real Sociedad team for a few seasons. 

The revelations about the medical practices at Real Sociedad that have since emerged might explain why he was barely fit enough to wobble onto the pitch when he arrived at Ewood. A few incidents post retirement suggest he wasn't the most stable character either. 

I should have suspected it wasn't all going to work out quite as well as I'd hoped when my new jersey from the official store was delivered with 'DEPEDRO' rather than 'DE PEDRO' printed on it. ?

All that being said the worst signing for what it represented was Myles Anderson.  The biggest waste of money was Corrado Grabbi, a huge sum for the time squandered on someone with no top level experience worth talking about. 

• Like 2

Jesus we have had some beauties. Bad for different reasons, say a high fee and high expectations (Ferguson) V low cost, but borderline criminal (Anderson). 

I will go with the one that disappointed me the most and has gone on to show how good he could have been, Niko Kalinic. Around that time we had a bit of a history of finding gems without spending that much. McCarthy , RSC in the striker department for example. Allardyce had a reputation for wheeling and dealing and here we had a situation where we gave him a few quid. He just never got going though and was very unlucky and often misused, 

Not the worst, but just looking at it from a different angle. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Jesus we have had some beauties. Bad for different reasons, say a high fee and high expectations (Ferguson) V low cost, but borderline criminal (Anderson). 

I will go with the one that disappointed me the most and has gone on to show how good he could have been, Niko Kalinic. Around that time we had a bit of a history of finding gems without spending that much. McCarthy , RSC in the striker department for example. Allardyce had a reputation for wheeling and dealing and here we had a situation where we gave him a few quid. He just never got going though and was very unlucky and often misused, 

Ferguson holds a place in my heart for a) not being good enough and b) insulting the fans by saying he couldn't get up for a Lancashire derby like he could for the Old Firm game (in their third rate league).

Up there with Murphy as just being an utter cunt.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Ferguson holds a place in my heart for a) not being good enough and b) insulting the fans by saying he couldn't get up for a Lancashire derby like he could for the Old Firm game (in their third rate league).

Up there with Murphy as just being an utter cunt.

Did he say that? That was a very silly thing to say. Especially as a professional , who we had spent big money on. Even if it was the truth for him! 

49 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I remember Niko Kalinic being comically unlucky when it came to hitting the wordwork. His goal return wasn't exactly terrible, but could have been so much better with a little bit of luck.

He was a little light weight too but has since improved physically. Was he around in the period Sam played 4-5-1 with Chris Samba as the lone forward ?

• Like 2

It's the mercenary type of player that I despise and we've had plenty of them, particularly in the last decade as Rovers have been taken for a ride but the jewel in that particular crown is Murphy. When he is on tv I switch over. He strikes me as a selfish, conceited little shit. A lot of names on here are of players that were awful but the majority at least tried.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, belfast_rover said:

I remember Niko Kalinic being comically unlucky when it came to hitting the wordwork. His goal return wasn't exactly terrible, but could have been so much better with a little bit of luck.

He was a little light weight too but has since improved physically. Was he around in the period Sam played 4-5-1 with Chris Samba as the lone forward ?

Ya, I think I read he hit the woodwork 7 times for us, or was it 11? Either way, very unlucky. I don't think the lone striker role suited him either.