BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Worst Rovers signing ever?

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It's the mercenary type of player that I despise and we've had plenty of them, particularly in the last decade as Rovers have been taken for a ride but the jewel in that particular crown is Murphy. When he is on tv I switch over. He strikes me as a selfish, conceited little shit. A lot of names on here are of players that were awful but the majority at least tried.

Ya, when people give out about the Mowbray/Bennett relationship, we need to have some perspective. The f**king Kean/Murphy one was immeasurably worse, containing 2 absolute p**cks. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

Not the worst either, but personally a very disappointing one for me was Jack Byrne. I had high hopes, but I also had a niggling feeling looking at Coyle in his uncomfortable (for my eyes) tight and high shorts, that he wasn't going to be operating under the best manager. He's top 3 players, if not 1st on the list of best players in LOI now. Seems to be back enjoying football again. I'd say he will be back in England at some point. 

14 minutes ago, belfast_rover said:

I remember Niko Kalinic being comically unlucky when it came to hitting the wordwork. His goal return wasn't exactly terrible, but could have been so much better with a little bit of luck.

He was a little light weight too but has since improved physically. Was he around in the period Sam played 4-5-1 with Chris Samba as the lone forward ?

Yeah he was one who you could tell was clearly a fantastic player, but didn't have a lot of luck, not suited our style of play at the time.

20 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Can’t argue with many of the names mentioned but in terms of financial outlay vs performance I’d say Brereton has to be  up there. One of our all-time most expensive signings and spent whilst we’re in the Championship. Completely wasted (so far).

Or even financial outlay versus game time. A bizzare one alright (so far ;) ) 

Worst in terms of money wasted can’t really look past Big Ben, grabbi and Davies. 

Worst in terms of just being bad-goulon.

Worst in terms of proportional to expectation-Dwight the shite, Barry Ferguson.

Worst in terms of 5th columnist type behaviour-Danny Murphy, Bradley, Leon best.

Overall-as someone described above as being a disgrace to the shirt bad, for me a tie between Murphy and Orr

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Worst in terms of money wasted can’t really look past Big Ben, grabbi and Davies. 

Worst in terms of 5th columnist type behaviour-Danny Murphy, Bradley, Leon best.

Overall-as someone described above as being a disgrace to the shirt bad, for me a tie between Murphy and Orr

I think you've pretty much nailed it there. I'd chuck in Maceo Rigters in with Goulon. He'd just won the golden boot at the Euro U21 championship I think, but a deeper delve into his goal scoring history suggested it was a one off.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Pretty much nailed it. I’d chuck in Gally, Etuhu, Petrovic, Goodwillie and Grella too. Oh and the Portuguese cohort.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

In terms of ability it would have to be Myles Anderson.

In terms of attitude & conduct Best & Murphy.

In terms of fee Brereton.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Pretty much nailed it. I’d chuck in Gally, Etuhu, Petrovic and Grella too. 

Yeah.

Expectations-dahlin as well  

goodwillie needs to go on any shortlist as well. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not the worst either, but personally a very disappointing one for me was Jack Byrne. I had high hopes, but I also had a niggling feeling looking at Coyle in his uncomfortable (for my eyes) tight and high shorts, that he wasn't going to be operating under the best manager. He's top 3 players, if not 1st on the list of best players in LOI now. Seems to be back enjoying football again. I'd say he will be back in England at some point. 

He also went to Wigan where he couldnt get a game, and then settled in League 1 with Oldham. Maybe he isnt good enough to play above League 1 level, suppose the Irish league is difficult to directly compare.

Just now, savage90 said:

Hard to look any further than Grabbi, although he will always remind me of better times! If Dickson Etuhu and Danny Murphy were one player it would be him by a country mile.

Radosav Petrovic is also up there. 

Indeed, I plumped for ‘Rado’ on my shortlist too. His ‘performance’ in our 7-1 drubbing away to Arsenal was one of the worst I’ve ever seen in a Rovers shirt. I got closer to Arsenal’s midfielders from up in the stands. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

Just now, savage90 said:

Hard to look any further than Grabbi, although he will always remind me of better times! If Dickson Etuhu and Danny Murphy were one player it would be him by a country mile.

Radosav Petrovic is also up there. 

I remember Dunn and Flitcroft being asked who the worst player they ever played with was. They laughed and wouldn't give a name, only to say if you'd had a bad day in training, you'd 'Had a Grabbi'.

I'd forgotten about Petrovic. He's got to be up there as well. Awful.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

He also went to Wigan where he couldn't get a game, and then settled in League 1 with Oldham. Maybe he isnt good enough to play above League 1 level, suppose the Irish league is difficult to directly compare.

Ah he's better than that I would say. Stood out in very good Man city youth teams. Granted it's always hard to judge the step up.  24 now, so he would want to be going back over in the next year or two max I would think. 

Just now, Carbz said:

David Goodwhillie

The Scottish Rooney? Surely not? The fact that he is at Clyde now and played for Doune Castle before that, tells you everything you need to know about him.

The Scottish Rooney wasn't even the worst comparison Steve Kean made. Who remembers our version of Gabriel Batistuta?

Just now, LeftWinger said:

The Scottish Rooney? Surely not? The fact that he is at Clyde now and played for Doune Castle before that, tells you everything you need to know about him.

The Scottish Rooney wasn't even the worst comparison Steve Kean made. Who remembers our version of Gabriel Batistuta?

My own personal favourite was Dennis Irwin who we had for three seasons and barely played a game

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Controversial question. Did Kean make any good signings? 

Rhodes is one that comes to mind. Anyone else? Dann I suppose. 

Yakubu

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I think you've pretty much nailed it there. I'd chuck in Maceo Rigters in with Goulon. He'd just won the golden boot at the Euro U21 championship I think, but a deeper delve into his goal scoring history suggested it was a one off.

Rigters is a great shout. Remember him being playing in the 4-1 loss to Coventry in the FA cup. Poor team performance, and Keith Treacy wasn't much better than Rigters, but even putting this aside it's up there with one of the most inept performances I've ever seen in a Rovers shirt. It's how I imagine Ali Dia was in his single appearance for Southampton. Like watching 10 footballers and a bloke from the crowd.

I think Sparky's talent for picking up bargains hurt him too. We'd gotten used to buying top strikers for a couple of million quid & I remember a lot of us having really high hopes not based on much more than Hughes' midas touch. 

• Like 1