BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Worst Rovers signing ever?

6 hours ago, Amo said:

Nepotism has always been rife in football.

I doubt we signed Paul Dalglish or Julio Santa Cruz for football reasons.

That one was beyond nepotism and they weren't the sons of or related to a fecking shithead.

Maybe they even had some talent, I don't know, which that one most certainly did not.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

That one was beyond nepotism and they weren't the sons of or related to a fecking shithead.

Maybe they even had some talent, I don't know, which that one most certainly did not.

Dalglish carved himself out a lower league career i think.

Miles kickaball isn't even non league standard.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SamTheLeedsRover said:

For relative size of money to era, Kevin Davies. He only scored twice, both against Sasa Illic of Charlton who fumbled them both. Although I think Woy has some blame here. Always remember Dave Jones at Soton saying he rejected 3 million, but would have accepted 3.5. Woy‘s next bid was 7.25million ?‍♂️ Frivolous with Jack’s cash for sure.

Personally, I always hated Ashley Ward. He was just crap. That 1 on 1 in the United game of 99 where we needed to win to stay up, and he chipped crapply wide. I cried my eyes out that night at Ewood watching Jack do the same. Thanks Ashley

Hodgson was a disaster for us. 

• Like 4

On 07/08/2020 at 11:52, Exiled_Rover said:

Ferguson holds a place in my heart for a) not being good enough and b) insulting the fans by saying he couldn't get up for a Lancashire derby like he could for the Old Firm game (in their third rate league).

Up there with Murphy as just being an utter cunt.

The Lancashire derby he was referring to was Bolton Wanderers ffs. The idiot hadn't a clue about Rovers' real rivals. Souness discovered the true feelings of the real East Lancs derby and put them on a par with the old firm games and the Turkish ones.

A bit harsh to include Vince Grella here. His body couldn't take the hammering and he had to retire early from football in Australia.

Amoruso- I don’t think I’ve seen a slower defender. Jayson Leutwiler is probably the worst keeper I’ve seen playing for us, but I’m too young to remember Alan Fettis, which a chap at work has mentioned! He’s coaching in Man Utd’s set-up now though, according to Wikipedia.... 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Fettis

My all time top crap player though is Etuhu. The bloke was an absolute waste of space. Those mentioned above might have been crap, but at least they tried! 

Edited by scotchrover
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead
5 minutes ago, scotchrover said:

Amoruso- I don’t think I’ve seen a slower defender. Jayson Leutwiler is probably the worst keeper I’ve seen playing for us, but I’m too young to remember Alan Fettis, which a chap at work has mentioned! He’s coaching in Man Utd’s set-up now though, according to Wikipedia.... 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Fettis

My all time top crap player though is Etuhu. The bloke was an absolute waste of space. Those mentioned above might have been crap, but at least they tried! 

Haha, I had a look at that wiki entry earlier this week. Apparently, Victor Valdes was full of praise for our Alan and talked the man out of retirement when he was at United! 
Probably a better coach than he ever was a player....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, scotchrover said:

Amoruso- I don’t think I’ve seen a slower defender.

The thing that I always find funny about the Rangers-Rovers connections from those years is that there never seemed to be anyone who did it for both clubs. Inexplicable how Lorenzo and Ferguson are both modern day greats for Rangers, but couldn't cut the mustard down here, and yet Tugay could barely get a game in Glasgow! Sure fitness and age played a part, but even so.

The worst thing about the Murphy-Etuhu axis to begin with is that you couldn't tell for a while whether one of them was letting the other down it terms of their legs having gone/not putting the effort in. It was only after a couple of months it became obvious that they were both as bad as each other!

• Like 2

On 07/08/2020 at 12:14, belfast_rover said:

I remember Niko Kalinic being comically unlucky when it came to hitting the wordwork. His goal return wasn't exactly terrible, but could have been so much better with a little bit of luck.

I remember him getting slaughtered on MOTD for missing a hatful of chances against Sunderland. 

It was quite mean-spirited and not long after Croatia had dumped England out the Euro qualifiers. ?

Edited by Amo

15 minutes ago, Amo said:

I remember him getting slaughtered on MOTD for missing a hatful of chances against Sunderland. 

It was quite mean-spirited and not long after Croatia had dumped England out the Euro qualifiers. ?

The two " big strapping lads " we have up front at the moment make Kalinic  look like Alan Shearer ! What was that defender called we got from Rangers back in the day  ? Dawson  ? He was pretty average. I thought he came from Rangers ?

One worse than that  from Rangers was Stuart Munro, we spunked the town hall clock on him and he played ONE game for us. I think his signing was the final nail in Don Mackay's coffin. My claim to fame - I saw Stuart Munro play for Rovers !

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The two " big strapping lads " we have up front at the moment make Kalinic  look like Alan Shearer ! What was that defender called we got from Rangers back in the day  ? Dawson  ? He was pretty average. I thought he came from Rangers ?

One worse than that  from Rangers was Stuart Munro, we spunked the town hall clock on him and he played ONE game for us. I think his signing was the final nail in Don Mackay's coffin. My claim to fame - I saw Stuart Munro play for Rovers !

munro cost £400,000,just at start of jack  putting his money,he must have thought ffs don aint half wasting my money ,added to the distinctly average steve agnew,who cost even more,jack must have thought i`ll have to get rid of don before he wastes even more of my fortune

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Ill fated signings him and Agnew although i remember the fanfare, then the flop.

Dawson was another yet i don't recall seeing him play yet do recall the tales of regular sightings of him and Andy Kennedy on the piss everywhere. 

Not the out and out worst but Barry Ferguson was so underwhelming. I remember the summer we signed him and Emerton and all my mates started to pay attention to us/abuse me. Think we beat Wolves 5-1 on the opening day of the season as well, heady days. Didn't know how good I had it at the time ? 

49 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Martin Dahlin was a big disappointment 

Kevin Arnott I think it was, I was very young and it was a big signong from Sunerland or Southampton....waste of time

kevin arnott was a great player,he was a class above the division,came on loan from sunderland when he fell out with manager alan durban,unfortunately at the time there was no way rovers could afford the transfer fee or his wages,i think sunderland listed him at half a million quid or something,completly mental fee at the time when rovers could barely afford the electric bill for the floodlights

• Like 3

3 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

munro cost £400,000,just at start of jack  putting his money,he must have thought ffs don aint half wasting my money ,added to the distinctly average steve agnew,who cost even more,jack must have thought i`ll have to get rid of don before he wastes even more of my fortune

Agnew had been a class act at Barnsley but unfortunately he got a bad injury almost as soon as he arrived. A bit like Jimmy Kerr who we signed from Bury. I saw him a lot before we signed him, I had a mate who was an occasional player for Bury's first team, and Jimmy was the real deal. He could have been another Archie Gemmell only bigger.

20 hours ago, IrelandsRover said:

Giorgos Donis 

I remember Donis tormenting one of the Neville's so much at Old Trafford that he got subbed after half an hour and Irwin was moved across to try and cope with him.  Was a one trick pony with his speed and it didn't work out but far, far from one of our worst signings.

• Like 2