BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Worst Rovers signing ever?

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Controversial question. Did Kean make any good signings? 

Rhodes is one that comes to mind. Anyone else? Dann I suppose. 

You could argue a few fall in the half-decent category. Olsson, Formica and Rochina weren't top-flight quality players, but not awful. Was he in charge when we signed Jermaine Jones?

The Venkys era has been the worst for the club in my lifetime as I wasn't around for the 60's and 70's, but back then the club was a different place with even bad signings getting the benefit of the doubt. 

Venkys and Kean erased all that. Murphy's legs had gone, and did his wife start having a pop at Rovers fans on social media too? Hardly endearing if it happened. Orr wasn't a bad player per se from what I remember, but him sucking up to Kean puts him on the list. Best was awful. Came in, got injured, and turned into one bad attitude.

Shebby Singh's Portuguese quintet weren't professional footballers, neither was Anderson's son which points at conspiracies and potential nefarious activities.

Rovers managed to recover from Davies and Grabbi, the club is nowhere near thanks to many of the jokers already listed.

No one offering up Steve Agnew? Rovers record signing in the summer of 1991. Don Mackay's big investment courtesy of Jack Walker. He broke his leg in pre season, and I don't think that he ever played a game for Rovers, before leaving post promotion having contributed absolutely nothing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Nuno Gomes's legs had gone, but he made up for it with a good brain and vision.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

The Venkys era has been the worst for the club in my lifetime as I wasn't around for the 60's and 70's, but back then the club was a different place with even bad signings getting the benefit of the doubt. 

Venkys and Kean erased all that. Murphy's legs had gone, and did his wife start having a pop at Rovers fans on social media too? Hardly endearing if it happened. Orr wasn't a bad player per se from what I remember, but him sucking up to Kean puts him on the list. Best was awful. Came in, got injured, and turned into one bad attitude.

Shebby Singh's Portuguese quintet weren't professional footballers, neither was Anderson's son which points at conspiracies and potential nefarious activities.

Rovers managed to recover from Davies and Grabbi, the club is nowhere near thanks to many of the jokers already listed.

No one offering up Steve Agnew? Rovers record signing in the summer of 1991. Don Mackay's big investment courtesy of Jack Walker. He broke his leg in pre season, and I don't think that he ever played a game for Rovers, before leaving post promotion having contributed absolutely nothing. 

Then spent years trying to prise nephew Jordan away from Ewood to wherever he was at.

To be fair i think without the bad luck he'd have turned out to be a decent signing.

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If we cast our minds back Kean didn't want Rhodes him and his little crew were trying to get another SEM guy through the door. Forget his name now but he certainly wasn't a patch on Rhodes.

Good old Shebby got that over the line with the help of Preston Derek who was well in with Hudds chairman. 

• Like 3

im`e sure there were plenty of bad signings from decades ago,paul mckinnon,viv busby,jimmy quinn(i never like him tbh) spring to mind,but they were signed for reasonable fees for the era and did`nt drain the finances by being on stupidly massive deals,the likes of best and murphy did`nt even put in the effort,thats why i hate them so much and for me the worst signings we`ve ever made,incidentally,keans love bunny bradley orr was`nt a bad player just the slavish devotion to his master that turned everyone against him

Interesting collection.

I remember being at Brentford and saw O’Mars score a hat trick against us. I think that’s why we bought him. 

Ben Arentoft was pretty crap. Scored a spectacular 30 yard own goal at Brentford. 

Shearer was unimpressive. Steady on. Duncan Shearer, signed for stop Swindon scoring goals.  He did that alright but didn’t do much for us  

Grabbi and Davies biggest wastes of money. Leon Best, Murphy, Dickson of “in the dock” green all biggest wastes of space  and money. 

Goulon just wtf. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wasn’t that Glen Mullan that recommended we sign Rhodes, or am I imagining that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

If we cast our minds back Kean didn't want Rhodes him and his little crew were trying to get another SEM guy through the door. Forget his name now but he certainly wasn't a patch on Rhodes.

Good old Shebby got that over the line with the help of Preston Derek who was well in with Hudds chairman. 

Yeah ironically I seem to recall Rhodes was one of the reasons Kean resigned in that shabby was having too much influence and made his job untenable. 

Kevin Davies.

7 million when that was a lot of money in the game. Expectation was high. Beattie went the other way cheaply as part of it. Davies was crap for us, Beattie was great for them. We then sold him back at a significant loss, bringing Ostenstad over as a makeweight in that deal. He was even worse. Davies ended up at Bolton, who I hated, for free, and was great for them.

Still makes my blood boil.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Harsh to say someone was the worst cos they broke their leg, disappointing though 

A record signing who never played a game is worth a mention. It was unfortunate that he broke his leg. I don't remember what took him so long to come back. Players are usually only out for a few months with a "normal" break.

42 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Then spent years trying to prise nephew Jordan away from Ewood to wherever he was at.

To be fair i think without the bad luck he'd have turned out to be a decent signing.

I'd forgotten about that. 

I remember him playing for Barnsley, he was a very good player.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dreyski said:

Nuno Gomes's legs had gone, but he made up for it with a good brain and vision.

I thought Gomes was was very good but wasnt given as much time as he deserved. You could tell he was a proper footballer and not coming here for a final paycheck. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Wasn’t that Glen Mullan that recommended we sign Rhodes, or am I imagining that?

Recall reading that - he texted someone to sign Rhodes or something. Or was it he texted the manager to tell him which subs to bring on?

1 hour ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Interesting collection.

I remember being at Brentford and saw O’Mars score a hat trick against us. I think that’s why we bought him. 

Ben Arentoft was pretty crap. Scored a spectacular 30 yard own goal at Brentford. 

Shearer was unimpressive. Steady on. Duncan Shearer, signed for stop Swindon scoring goals.  He did that alright but didn’t do much for us  

Grabbi and Davies biggest wastes of money. Leon Best, Murphy, Dickson of “in the dock” green all biggest wastes of space  and money. 

Goulon just wtf. 

You forgot Bradley Orr

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Egil Ostenstad

Sebastian Perez

Odd choices.

Ostenstad didn't pull up any trees but he was okay backup in our promotion season.

Perez was a classy player, just his family didn't settle. I think we got our money back for him. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Amo said:

Odd choices.

Ostenstad didn't pull up any trees but he was okay backup in our promotion season.

Perez was a classy player, just his family didn't settle. I think we got our money back for him. 

Especially when you consider the players he didnt mention. I can think of at least 10 worst signings than either.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

im`e sure there were plenty of bad signings from decades ago,paul mckinnon,viv busby,jimmy quinn(i never like him tbh) spring to mind,but they were signed for reasonable fees for the era and did`nt drain the finances by being on stupidly massive deals,the likes of best and murphy did`nt even put in the effort,thats why i hate them so much and for me the worst signings we`ve ever made,incidentally,keans love bunny bradley orr was`nt a bad player just the slavish devotion to his master that turned everyone against him

Jimmy Quinn a harsh 

Never understood the hatred of Quinn from what seemed to be the moment he turned up.

Perez was class you could see that a mile away, not sure Hodgson had any idea what he was doing with him. Also heard he didn't fit in with the clique in the dressing room at the time, a bit like Davies. If Sherwood didn't like you you'd no chance.

• Like 1

Am I really the first to offer for consideration the following three names? Richard Witschge from the Premier League-winning squad; and from the mid-1960s, Allan Gilliver and George Jones.

I'd be the first to agree with anyone who says that none of them can compete with yer Corrado Grabbis, Danny Murphys and Myles Andersons et al at the top of this particular league table, but all surely deserve to be found in mid-table?!

If only Witschge had been as good as he thought he was, . . .

Allan Gilliver had a different problem; he turned out to be more injured than we thought he was when we laid out all of £30,000 - forgive me showing my age, but in the era when "£30,000 was £30,000" - for him.

And is my memory failing me, or did we not then sign George Jones from Bury to fill the Gilliver-sized hole in the forward line, and he also failed to deliver?