BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Worst Rovers signing ever?

On 09/08/2020 at 17:43, Sparks Rover said:

Martin Dahlin was a big disappointment 

Kevin Arnott I think it was, I was very young and it was a big signong from Sunerland or Southampton....waste of time

I remember Woy saying that Dahlin was not as good as he remembered him after another gash performance in a Rovers shirt. Woy was obviously using Tony's European scouting network. It spoke volumes about how poorly clubs are run if players are being signed on memory. 

Kevin Arnott is one of my earliest memories as a Rovers fan. Him and Micky Speight. Arnott was a Sunderland lad iirc. 

• Like 1

Murphy’s nadir was that home game against Peterborough - three nil down after about 20 minutes. 

He didn’t lift a leg and was hauled off at half time. 

I literally cannot watch/listen to anything he’s on to this day, as he goes on about ‘work rate’ ‘desire’

Prick 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 8

On 11/08/2020 at 20:43, Hasta said:

I remember Donis tormenting one of the Neville's so much at Old Trafford that he got subbed after half an hour and Irwin was moved across to try and cope with him.  Was a one trick pony with his speed and it didn't work out but far, far from one of our worst signings.

Give me a break, 1 season and back to Greece. Tormenting a Neville (apparently) doesn’t do it for me 

23 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Murphy’s nadir was that home game against Peterborough - three nil down after about 20 minutes. 

He didn’t lift a leg and was hauled off at half time. 

I literally cannot watch/listen to anything he’s on to this day, as he goes on about ‘work rate’ ‘desire’

Prick 

You've gotta let it go, man. ?

9 hours ago, IrelandsRover said:

Give me a break, 1 season and back to Greece. Tormenting a Neville (apparently) doesn’t do it for me 

I don't think you understood the title of this thread.

Donis isn't even in the worst 20 Rovers signings ever.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

I'm surprised none of us have mentioned Keith Andrews. I mean compared to some of our expensive turkeys and dodgy dealings we've done under Venky's he wasn't that bad, but it was still a embarrassing signing. Ince made the inspired move of calling in his mate from MK Dons. Never a Premier League player. I remember he just used to run around, pointing aimlessly like he was in the thick of the action. He was promoted at least two levels above his station. Allardyce was able to make some use of him by bypassing the midfield entirely.:lol:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Amo said:

I'm surprised none of us have mentioned Keith Andrews. I mean compared to some of our expensive turkeys and dodgy dealings we've done under Venky's he wasn't that bad, but it was still a embarrassing signing. Ince made the inspired move of calling in his mate from MK Dons. Never a Premier League player. I remember he just used to run around, pointing aimlessly like he was in the thick of the action. He was promoted at least two levels above his station. Allardyce was able to make some use of him by bypassing the midfield entirely.:lol:

At least Andrews showed a little bit of willing for the shirt though. It is the most basic requisite for a footballer but one which we sadly can't expect from them all.

I was also there at West Brom when McCarthy got sent off. We were hammering them until that point. 1-0 down I think we were (or 2-1?) before Keith Andrews rifled one in the bottom corner in the last minute. The few that travelled - mid week game - went into absolute raptures that almost emptied the home fans next to us. It was a sweet moment after taking 60 minutes of shit from the epitome of a yoyo nothing club. 

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Amo said:

i could`nt fault keith for effort,what turned everone against him was the fact he thought he was a hybrid of zidane and johann cruyff,instead of just doing the simple stuff he really did have delusions over his ability,all those ambitious passes that ended up in the riverside or to the opposition and those attempted dribbles that lost us posession,every time he got the ball i used to exercise my vocal chords?

18 hours ago, Amo said:

Andrews was awful, but nowhere near the worst. He only irritates me now when he gets wheeled out as the Blackburn pundit when we're on TV. All the greats to choose from and they bring in him...

• Like 1

Keith Andrews wasn't awful. He was brought in two divisions up by a manager who was already disliked. Keith tried his best for us but he didn't have the quality for the Prem.

I'll never knock a player who gives his best for the Rovers even in spite of fans cat-calling him. You cannot have him in the same pigeon hole as Murphy, Orr, Best and Duffy.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead

This comes up now and again about Andrews giving his best. I think people are re writing history and I say this every time. 
I can legitimately remember him ducking out of at least one challenge that lead to a goal (Chelsea at home). If we were in the PL now, Corry Evans would probably look the same. 
He was playing a long way above his ability, that is true and it isn’t his fault he was picked, he really wasn’t the grafter that people keep suggesting. He was absolutely shite.

• Like 2

Grabbi  by a country mile for me

The story goes Souness wanted a centre forward and asked his team to go out and get the top scorer in Serie B.

We ended up with a (homesick) player who considered himself a no 7 for a price at which you could apparently have bought the town his parent Club was in, let alone the Club or the player.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Grabbi  by a country mile for me

The story goes Souness wanted a centre forward and asked his team to go out and get the top scorer in Serie B.

We ended up with a (homesick) player who considered himself a no 7 for a price at which you could apparently have bought the town his parent Club was in, let alone the Club or the player.

Pretty much agree with Grabbi, cost £7 million (plus wages) scored 2 goall then a free transfer.  But he was a "wide striker" in Italy so Tony would probably have loved him!

• Like 3