BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

It does seem rather draconian, but then maybe that's what's needed to give a chance for most clubs at that level to survive until crowds can return.

I think, in these extraordinary circumstances, the top PL clubs & the PL itself should be doing more with their colossal TV& global sponsorship money to support these lower league clubs and show some solidarity until "normality" returns. But of course there's a fat cat's chance of that; some would rather pay 6 figure weekly salaries to 31 year old inconsistent free agents... (Arsenal/ Willian springing to mind).

• Like 1

Yes it would be ideal if the vast riches of the Premier League were used to prop up the lower leagues but then Isn’t this precisely why the Premier League broke away from the Football League, so they could have the riches for themselves and the TV companies? 

This also begs the question, what will the richer League 1 and 2 clubs do with their excess cash? 

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

It seems like the PFA agree with you Ian. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53696424

Ah, the good old PFA! The one that pays its Chairman a huge salary. Maybe he can share that out to keep clubs afloat.

Professional footballers, like many of the fans will soon be thankful that they have a salary at all. 

2 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I don't see how clubs can survive without it. It's going to take a few years to be fully effective though so unless clubs get fans through the gates soon they are going to go bust. 

Clubs are their own worst enemies....at the first sniff of promotion, expect some creative loopholes to be used either to keep the best talent or to sign new players. And let’s be frank...if we did it to keep Dack & thereby get into the play offs, we are not going to clutch our pearls and express shock & horror are we ?

The riches of the PL are too great, too tempting, too seductive to sustain compliant behaviour. This smacks of “something must be done....this is something....let’s do it...” IMHO.

to whoever offers them more money,i suspect dozens of them will end up playing reserve football in  premier league super squads,you know the ones where they have 60 or 70 pro`s on their books,chelsea,city etc,the premier league will end up a closed shop and the rest of us will be left in oblivion,it`s probably a master plan by some crooked accountant

57 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

where will footballers go?

To any of the dozens of other leagues. If this isn't extended to other leagues it does reduce the competitive advantage English football has had for a while now. How much so remains to be seen.

Where does that leave the Lee Williamsons of the world and the other dross we signed on thousands per week under embargo ?

Guys way down the food chain earning 6 - 8k per week at the likes of Salford is nearly as bad as the top guys earning 50k pwk.  Some realism needed all the way through the pyramid.  They aren't all going to fit onto the Chelseas of the worlds books nor will they get poached by Dutch and Belgian second tier clubs.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. Should probably be based on turnover rather than a flat rate though.

Fuck that. We'd have to sell most of our best players to be compliant. Anything turnover-based merely cements the dominance of the big-city clubs, which is already a problem.

I've been crying out for wage caps for years but if it was done based on turnover I wouldn't like it. That would be a misapplication of it akin to FFP, as it means everything will end up decided on demographics and you'll never see Jack Walker style fairy tales shaking up the order to add excitement.  IMO they should let owners put whatever they want in, as long as it's a gift and not a loan, as the whole point is supposed to be stopping clubs going bust, not stratifying them based on gates.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

Where does that leave the Lee Williamsons of the world and the other dross we signed on thousands per week under embargo ?

Guys way down the food chain earning 6 - 8k per week at the likes of Salford is nearly as bad as the top guys earning 50k pwk.  Some realism needed all the way through the pyramid.  They aren't all going to fit onto the Chelseas of the worlds books nor will they get poached by Dutch and Belgian second tier clubs.

It's the ludicrous difference in funds when you jump up a league, especially to the Prem, that creates this lack of realism. If the riches on offer weren't so disproportionate this unrealistic wages thing would be a much less pronounced problem. The EFL solidarity payments from the Prem should double.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

To any of the dozens of other leagues. If this isn't extended to other leagues it does reduce the competitive advantage English football has had for a while now. How much so remains to be seen.

I'd hazard a guess that a carthorse in L2 gets paid a lot more than a carthorse in the Dutch equivalent. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Exactly. The demand for L1 and L2 players is hardly going to be huge in the Belgium, Dutch, Italian leagues etc. I read the other day that James Norwood at Ipswich is on £9k per week. Even if a salary cap is brought in and he had to halve his wage he's never get that anywhere else in Europe. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I'd hazard a guess that a carthorse in L2 gets paid a lot more than a carthorse in the Dutch equivalent. 

Don't believe the Dutch league has an equivalent as such, we have more professional leagues than any other country if I remember rightly. The caps may change what you're saying though, so it doesn't necessarily matter whether they can earn more here for now.

I was more referring to the Championship though, if a cap comes in here. There are plenty of players in this league who could move to top flights elsewhere if a cap severely cuts what they can earn here.

I'm not against a cap at all btw, just think it needs to be well thought through, and even if it is there are disadvantages too. But overall the sport would be better off if it's done right.

A flat rate is unfair to those Clubs with a larger fan base, turnover, and greater potential. It's not only the rich that want it their way.

It puts too much salary control back in the hands of the Clubs, owners etc. They will abuse it IMHO as they do in most things.

At least agents should have less to fight over.

L1 & certainly L2 are dying as full-time professional leagues. They just don't know it yet. NO club gives a flying one about the fate of any other club.

Another stupid EFL rule bought in..suits smaller clubs like Andy Holt cos of the smaller budget but restricted clubs like Portsmouth and Sunderland massively. Should be linked to turnover of funds and if their owners are willing to fund the club at that level with their own cash should be allow to

• Like 1