BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

41 minutes ago, DE. said:

If this rule is not legally viable how can it be brought in? The only clubs it would punish would be those who couldn't afford to go the legal route to get any punishment voided.

It’s interesting it. It can surely only apply to new contracts so some clubs will have a short term advantage.

In effect though, it’s stopping players being able to earn more unless they get to the Championship. Is that a restriction of trade? Or is it the same as every other industry? Wage levels all over the world reflect the money going into the industry. It’s the exact same argument for why men and women don’t get paid the same for “the same job”. Driving a taxi for the general public or driving a rolls Royce Royce for a billionaire are effectively “the same job” functionally. It’s certainly been the divide between the 1st and 2nd tiers for a while now.

Maybe L1/L2 standards (on the pitch) will go up as players with ambitions to earn more will have to move up, rather than move to a club recently relegated or being bank rolled.

However, it further increases the gap between the haves and the have-nots.

It will be interesting too to see how this plays out in the Championship. I can see a split between two camps: ambitious clubs who have had (and therefore need) PL football and those who haven’t.

The full European Super League and/or a two tier PL and/or three tier EFL probably needs to come in to address the current imbalance.

When are people going to realise that football finances are never going to be the same again. You have the premier league advicing clubs to expect a 40% drop in the next TV sales.

Maybe just maybe larger clubs are going to be happy with this as it allows them to pay off some of their debts and invest in other things than player wages.

Take the example of Ipswich, Marcus Evans business empire presently has 0 income, do you honestly think he is going to be able to put anything into Ipswich this season or do you think he may start asking for some of the £100m+ he has put into Ipswich back. Also League 1 and 2 clubs may also be able to sell themselves more easily to other local investors with a lower wage cap requirement. 

Portsmouth presently have a wage budget of £3.3m in total so they are already virtually complying. Wycombe and Oxford had a £1.8m budget last season and both made the playoffs.

The £2.5m budget is only for players over the age of 22, and they can only have 22 of these a season, so encourages clubs if they want to spend more to invest in youth team players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phili said:

The £2.5m budget is only for players over the age of 22, and they can only have 22 of these a season, so encourages clubs if they want to spend more to invest in youth team players.

All this does is encourage those clubs to become farms for the bigger clubs.

Which all fine until you are the club being picked off - and thanks to EPPP you can’t even name your price.

7 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

And they made 55 people redundant. Mesut gives it large about being a Muslim, Turkish and therefore an outsider in Europe, but he's a crap Muslim if he is sponging money whilst others are losing their jobs. A greedy, lazy nob is just that, whatever the ethnic and religious background.

& the billionaire US owners who asked the millionaire players to take a pay cut to protect jobs ? ?

2 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

& the billionaire US owners who asked the millionaire players to take a pay cut to protect jobs ? ?

Billionaires don't normally have hundreds of millions sat in the bank waiting to be used, the billions are normally the value of their investments etc.

To be honest, the owner has had to fund alot of his US interests as well so may not have huge amounts of spare capital sitting around.

I think all clubs from top to bottom need to have a big shakeup and get back on an even keel financially. All premier league clubs seem to be about to go spending as though nothing has happened? Apart from the top 4 with Champions League cash, the rest are just a poor TV deal away from administration.

11 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

And they made 55 people redundant. Mesut gives it large about being a Muslim, Turkish and therefore an outsider in Europe, but he's a crap Muslim if he is sponging money whilst others are losing their jobs. A greedy, lazy nob is just that, whatever the ethnic and religious background.

Arseholes come in all colours.

But...the BILLIONAIRE owners asked players to take a 12.5% pay cut to help to protect the future of the club & those employed by the club. Özil apparently refused to accept this because he wasn’t convinced as to the owners’ motives. Subsequently, once the majority of the players accept the cut; the BILLIONAIRE owners made 55 people redundant anyhow, despite the salary sacrifices of the players.

In the meantime, Özil uses a large chunk of his salary to make his own charitable donations so as to ensure the money goes where he wants it to....as he doesn’t trust the owners.

I guess I’m saying, I’m not so sure that Özil is entirely the bad guy here....

C46CC641-7F73-42D1-8E74-8D516CA7E323.png

34 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

But...the BILLIONAIRE owners asked players to take a 12.5% pay cut to help to protect the future of the club & those employed by the club. Özil apparently refused to accept this because he wasn’t convinced as to the owners’ motives. Subsequently, once the majority of the players accept the cut; the BILLIONAIRE owners made 55 people redundant anyhow, despite the salary sacrifices of the players.

In the meantime, Özil uses a large chunk of his salary to make his own charitable donations so as to ensure the money goes where he wants it to....as he doesn’t trust the owners.

I guess I’m saying, I’m not so sure that Özil is entirely the bad guy here....

C46CC641-7F73-42D1-8E74-8D516CA7E323.png

He definitely isn't the bad guy, he didn't draw up his own contract. It's what he represents that is the issue - a game completely out of touch with reality.... and it's fanbase. 

• Like 3

So Özil donated 23% of his weekly wage to charity. If you earned £1000 per week and donated £230 that's quite a hefty sum. However after Özil's donation he was left with £268,667.......still a small fortune to the likes of us.

Puts things into perspective a bit.

19 minutes ago, bazza said:

So Özil donated 23% of his weekly wage to charity. If you earned £1000 per week and donated £230 that's quite a hefty sum. However after Özil's donation he was left with £268,667.......still a small fortune to the likes of us.

Puts things into perspective a bit.

80K a week to charity, now that's a hefty gift and better than disappearing into an American billionaire's loose change

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

Whilst donating £80k is great, I'm not sure he needs to publicise the fact he's doing it.

I used to work with a girl who's nephew required some sort of rare cancer treatment in the USA at a significant cost. They managed to raise the money and I'm told a couple of footballers made sizeable donations, but on the strict proviso their names weren't leaked. Class when doing it for purely altruistic purposes.