BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fleetwood Town (A) - Pre-Season 2020/21

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Rovers win 4-1 and over half of the comments are digs at the manager and his systems. Crikey. Just wait til the actual season starts!

Good run out today.

Eastham > Fisher
Rothwell poor and then injured
Chapman beginning to redeem himself

But most imporantly, Sam Gallagher shouldn't be anywhere near that side, we showed we're better without him today IMO.

I know you can’t really read too much into a friendly like today, but if Chapman, or even Dolan who looked a real prospect on the back of that 45, can be more involved this season, we might start to see more from Gallagher.

They look like they could provide decent service and I’ve a lot more confidence in Gallagher being able to convert than Brereton.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, rigger said:

I thought he was standout in the first half . He has flicks and tricks that will work against any level of opponent. He could team up very well with Nyambe.

Too bad we don't play with wingers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Just not true. Missed a penalty like an abolsute lemon but he wasn't awful, himself and Chapman both linked up fairly well...

And it's not a needless dig at Gallagher, it's a point to be made that we looked really good (esp. second half), without him.

I am not sure that we looked really good, was standard pre season fare really and a result that flattered us, a bit stop start and in bad conditions.

Brereton was really poor. His inability to understand the offside rule meant that quite a few attacks were halted because of him. Thats not me making exaggerated conclusions based on today, he usually looks out of place and today was just an example of that.

Gallagher should be second choice up front with Armstrong very much our main striker. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Watched the full game so thanks for Rovers for that facility on to enable fans to watch. 

Good run out for the players who have been only back a week in training so wasn't expect too much today. 

Players who stood out where Chapman, Armstrong, Dolan. Armstrong does what he does best and scores goal. Exactly why he needs to play as striker and not as a winger. Dolan looks an exciting prospect and looks like the penny has finally drop with Chapman and he's wants to part of this first team going forward

Fisher was awful and shown why I said he isn't good enough to part of first team here. Eastham much better and more confidence. Very surprise Joe Hilton didn't get a go today. 

Interesting that Mowbray stuck to his 4-3-3 system but adapt to playing a main striker as the 9 not has a false 9. 

I thought we dont play with wingers ;)

In all seriousness, you are right that he should play up front. I do think today we saw an example albeit in non competitive positions of how playing actual wide men in their natural position can really give us some balance. Chapman in the first half meant that there was far less emphasis on Nyambe to attack. Also, he himself offered an attacking threat, obviously with his goal, whereas Gallagher/Brereton cannot offer that from a wide role. He was better on the right rather than the left. Rothwell again provides barely any supply to the attackers. Dolan came on and his cross is food and drink for a striker. Wide play like that will get us plenty of goals.

Sadly, I suspect that it was done purely as a means to only play players for 45 minutes, and that once the season starts, wide strikers and probably false 9s will probably be back in fashion.

21 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I know you can’t really read too much into a friendly like today, but if Chapman, or even Dolan who looked a real prospect on the back of that 45, can be more involved this season, we might start to see more from Gallagher.

They look like they could provide decent service and I’ve a lot more confidence in Gallagher being able to convert than Brereton.

Have to agree with that.  I do feel Gallagher would get goals playing centrally if we had wingers.

Gallagher central with 3 behind of Armstrong, Dack, Chapman.

We need proper width this year. Our full backs can't provide it.  

Maybe it's just me but having grown up watching some great wingers at Ewood, that is what I want to see.  Attacking players getting to the line. 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I thought we dont play with wingers ;)

In all seriousness, you are right that he should play up front. I do think today we saw an example albeit in non competitive positions of how playing actual wide men in their natural position can really give us some balance. Chapman in the first half meant that there was far less emphasis on Nyambe to attack. Also, he himself offered an attacking threat, obviously with his goal, whereas Gallagher/Brereton cannot offer that from a wide role. He was better on the right rather than the left. Rothwell again provides barely any supply to the attackers. Dolan came on and his cross is food and drink for a striker. Wide play like that will get us plenty of goals.

Sadly, I suspect that it was done purely as a means to only play players for 45 minutes, and that once the season starts, wide strikers and probably false 9s will probably be back in fashion.

Well Buckley on the left of the front 3. 

Chapman didn't hung the touchline like winger would. Play much further inside but he looks like he wanted it for the first time in ages when I've seen him. Lets hope the penny has finally drop with him and his attitude. Dolan played much wider than Chapman did. 

We never got Rothwell into the game once before he went off injured. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Pre-season games are not about the results.

Unless you get hammered every game against lower league opposition!

We go 1-0 down and it’s seemingly a big deal, but we win 4-1 and it’s “just pre-season”.

We played well today against a difficult side. They sat back a lot and we still managed four goals, something we’ve struggled to do this season.

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

We go 1-0 down and it’s seemingly a big deal, but we win 4-1 and it’s “just pre-season”.

We played well today against a difficult side. They sat back a lot and we still managed four goals, something we’ve struggled to do this season.

A big deal?

In-game commenting needs to be taken with a pinch of salt at any time but I don’t recall anything OTT.

If you seriously think pre-season match results are important then I would be a little concerned.

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

A big deal?

In-game commenting needs to be taken with a pinch of salt at any time but I don’t recall anything OTT.

If you seriously think pre-season match results are important then I would be a little concerned.

Well I suppose winning them goes hand in hand with playing well. So if we lost today, I'm sure there would be concern. 

But ya, ultimately it was just a good run out for 2 different teams getting 45 min each. 

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

A big deal?

They’re not important. The way we play is. And I thought a mainly Under 23’s based side (featuring some 18’s and some first teamers.) dominated their League One outfit for most of the game.

With no Dack, no Gallagher, and none of the released experienced players like Downing or Graham featuring, it was impressive.

What I don’t like is that the reaction when we were losing from many, both on this forum and on social media, far outweighs the flip side positive reaction at a 4-1 win.

4 minutes ago, JoeH said:

They’re not important. The way we play is. And I thought a mainly Under 23’s based side (featuring some 18’s and some first teamers.) dominated their League One outfit for most of the game.

With no Dack, no Gallagher, and none of the released experienced players like Downing or Graham featuring, it was impressive.

What I don’t like is that the reaction when we were losing from many, both on this forum and on social media, far outweighs the flip side positive reaction at a 4-1 win.

Nobody is going to celebrate at 1-0 down.

The second half was far better than the first. Question marks linger over Brereton and Holtby and Travis were quiet.

Armstrong is turning into a game maker.

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well Buckley on the left of the front 3. 

Chapman didn't hung the touchline like winger would. Play much further inside but he looks like he wanted it for the first time in ages when I've seen him. Lets hope the penny has finally drop with him and his attitude. Dolan played much wider than Chapman did. 

We never got Rothwell into the game once before he went off injured. 

I dont even necessarily expect the winger to hug the touchline. Many of the best wingers in the League dont but they still provide an element of width and the possibility to go outside in a way that a Gallagher or even a Rothwell dont.

Chapman in his last 2 part appearances, ie 20 minutes v Reading and half today, provided that width, for example v Reading, he cut in and put in a brilliant cross for Gallagher (the only other cross of a similar level all season was that Nyambe one again for Gallagher) and then soon after he got the ball wide and went on the outside, took 2 on the othee way and then put another really good cross in.

His defensive contribution or lack of is often mentioned (despite the fact that he has started one League game ever under Mowbray, so he hasnt played enough to really be judged on it at senior level!) and he will need to track back but having an actual winger ahead of the full back places less emphasis on said full back to keep pushing on which could potentially lead to us being more solid that way.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Nobody is going to celebrate at 1-0 down.

The second half was far better than the first. Question marks linger over Brereton and Holtby and Travis were quiet.

Armstrong is turning into a game maker.

Rothwell was also very quiet, the half seemed to pass him by. Regarding wingers of which we had three real wingers playing plus Buckley out on the left - we need to learn how to get them into the game more. That means getting the ball to them quicker and the full backs not getting into their space and cluttering up play.

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Rothwell was also very quiet, the half seemed to pass him by. Regarding wingers of which we had three real wingers playing plus Buckley out on the left - we need to learn how to get them into the game more. That means getting the ball to them quicker and the full backs not getting into their space and cluttering up play.

It’s almost like we are starting again.

3 hours ago, RoverKyle said:

I could swear I counted him offside at least 3 or 4 times, which is a lot for one half of football. I wouldn't want to watch it back and check though. Not the easiest half to watch. 

If that's right then fair enough. Wouldn't want to suggest that he was particularly good and the penalty was obviously poor. I was just a bit surprised that he was being picked out as hopeless when for me there were others who were noticeably worse. 

7 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

If that's right then fair enough. Wouldn't want to suggest that he was particularly good and the penalty was obviously poor. I was just a bit surprised that he was being picked out as hopeless when for me there were others who were noticeably worse. 

He got pulled up four times, off side three times, the other time was for a foul. I'll say one thing for him - he's good at flattening the grass. He goes down really easily for a big guy. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He got pulled up four times, off side three times, the other time was for a foul. I'll say one thing for him - he's good at flattening the grass. He goes down really easily for a big guy. 

That he does. Funnily enough that was something which a few Forest fans brought up as a negative when we signed him. I'm a bit more open minded about that sort of behaviour when he gets as many dodgy looking penalties as he does goals!

28 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

All he does is hit the deck. 

Its embarrassing at times.

• Like 1