BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fleetwood Town (A) - Pre-Season 2020/21

Well I've just watched the game up to after our 4th goal. I saw the rest of the game in real time. Rovers defence in the 2nd half were atrocious. They played the ball back so many times that Eastham must have had more on-the-ball minutes than any other player. Contrast that to Fisher in the 1st half who had so little to do. He wasn't at fault for their goal. Alright he made one awful mistake with a misplaced pass and Davenport had to clear off the line, but not Fisher's fault.

All Rovers players were OKish. It's a pre-season runabout. Players I noticed having a particularly good game were Armstrong, Buckley, Chapman and Dolan. Good to see a nice Rovers shirt without that horrible Bet 10 logo.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bazza said:

Well I've just watched the game up to after our 4th goal. I saw the rest of the game in real time. Rovers defence in the 2nd half were atrocious. They played the ball back so many times that Eastham must have had more on-the-ball minutes than any other player. Contrast that to Fisher in the 1st half who had so little to do. He wasn't at fault for their goal. Alright he made one awful mistake with a misplaced pass and Davenport had to clear off the line, but not Fisher's fault.

All Rovers players were OKish. It's a pre-season runabout. Players I noticed having a particularly good game were Armstrong, Buckley, Chapman and Dolan. Good to see a nice Rovers shirt without that horrible Bet 10 logo.

When you play with two central midfielders, neither of whom can run with the ball in Evans and Johnson  it's always going to be a bit turgid

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont even necessarily expect the winger to hug the touchline. Many of the best wingers in the League dont but they still provide an element of width and the possibility to go outside in a way that a Gallagher or even a Rothwell dont.

His defensive contribution or lack of is often mentioned (despite the fact that he has started one League game ever under Mowbray, so he hasnt played enough to really be judged on it at senior level!) and he will need to track back but having an actual winger ahead of the full back places less emphasis on said full back to keep pushing on which could potentially lead to us being more solid that way.

Rothwell isn't a winger then but wide midfielder who drifts inside.

It's more of Chapman's attitude and work rate that's worry me playing for under 23's. If the penny has finally dropped and he is willing to improve attitude and work rate then great

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It's more of Chapman's attitude and work rate that's worry me playing for under 23's. If the penny has finally dropped and he is willing to improve attitude and work rate then great

Whatever Rothwell is supposed to be, hes not very effective. 

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Just watched it through...think we’re definitely going 433.

Some decent performances. Best of the bunch were Davenport, Chapman, Wharton and Dolan. I actually thought BB lead the line quite well too.

Brereton was offside numerous times. Kept breaking down attacks doing so.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Brereton was offside numerous times. Kept breaking down attacks doing so.

Maybe I just want him to do well so badly. But I think he’s hugely improved since returning from Lockdown.

I like JRC too. He could easily play as one of the front 3

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Maybe I just want him to do well so badly. But I think he’s hugely improved since returning from Lockdown.

I think there is an element of that to be fair. You look at us all getting overly excited over his post lockdown performances and getting our hopes up at any slither of ability shown. 

I also would rather see Rankin Costello play further forward and see what he can do in his natural position. Would love to see him left, Chapman right, and Dack off Armstrong at one point.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

And that's why he hasnt started many games last season. 

I would playing him from left cutting in. Talent is there

Thats where he always plays but unfortunately, whilst there are some attributes there, he doesnt seem to have anything at the end and theres only so many times you can think "the talent is there now is the time to show it" yet he doesnt come up with the goods.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Thats where he always plays but unfortunately, whilst there are some attributes there, he doesnt seem to have anything at the end and theres only so many times you can think "the talent is there now is the time to show it" yet he doesnt come up with the goods.

That's why he hit form in the last few games last season..

Time to judge him is from 12th September against Bournemouth not from 30 mins of a pre season game

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's why he hit form in the last few games last season..

Time to judge him is from 12th September against Bournemouth not from 30 mins of a pre season game

I didnt mention todays game. I was judging on the last 2 seasons. Last season he did his "Better than Brereton but still saving his contribution for when our chances have gone" routine and scored a tidy finish v West Brom and a heavily deflected goal v Reading. It has to be far better and theres only so long you can say that. His contract is up next season and it might be time to part ways if he doesnt start contributing.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

I didnt mention todays game. I was judging on the last 2 seasons. Last season he did his "Better than Brereton but still saving his contribution for when our chances have gone" routine and scored a tidy finish v West Brom and a heavily deflected goal v Reading. It has to be far better and theres only so long you can say that. His contract is up next season and it might be time to part ways if he doesnt start contributing.

I deffo wouldnt be parting way with Rothwell.

Rothwell's performances werent good enough. Hes knows it aswell. 

Hoping for a good season from him

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I deffo wouldnt be parting way with Rothwell.

Rothwell's performances werent good enough. Hes knows it aswell. 

Hoping for a good season from him

So am I but I mean if he has another poor season there would be little reason to provoke talks for a new deal.

If he has a good season then great. 

14 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Very encouraging start for Dolan and hopefully you're correct that Chapman has finally got focused and is ready to get into our first team.

Definitely agree on Arma too, has to play as a striker, i really don't rate him out wide.

For the next pre season id love to see a front 3 of:

Chapman---Armstrong----Dolan

For a good 45mins (if either Chapman or Dolan can play LW)

3 pacey, tricky, dynamic players. Everything Gallagher and Brereton are not.

Arma is still quality outside specially when he cuts in 

• Like 2

Think people are looking into negatives too much, I'm a big critic when we are shit but insane little negatives yesterday, the oerfoakce was as good as it gets fjr a first friendly. 

Johnson and Evans are break up players you cant have them on the pitch at the same time in a real game unless your trying to see out a win late on, I expect that both of them will depart at the end if the season with Bennett and mulgrew If not ready gone which frees up a lot of big wages, so travis and Davenport are the future, defensive mids they are classed as but have more to offer in attack than Evan's and johnson, travis is your typical ball winner Davenport a typical defensive mid that links defence to attack, all we lack Is a box to box and that's why we are interested in whiteman or whatever his name is at Doncaster, playing a midfield 3 we need that sort of player who can take the ball off the defence and start an attack.

Gallagher is coming good at the back end of last season he was starting to score goals and play well I've always had faith in him as he proved himself under a very bad owen Coyle team so I've every confidence he will be an asset this season onwards asking as hes used properly, he's been harshly criticised when he's been out of position. Brereton has what it takes I can see that but lacks confidence, mowbray may have to swallow his pride and send him on loan to league 1 so he can score goals and gain his confidence, but again he's not been helped and harshly criticised while playing out of position. Fact is galley and brereton are strikers not wingers, mowbray needs to stood messing with these players if you need wingers then recruit but atm we dont we have Armstrong, Chapman, Dolan, rothwell, costello as options, look how much better we was going forward when we had two pacey wingers on ? My choice would be Armstrong down the left and Costello on the right in his key position but I've a feeling mowbray is gonna out him at left back if he dosnt get a new one in which will be wasted as he's a very talented attacking winger who proved he can do the defensive work when at left back last season so the left back won't be exposed, Chapman used as an impact sub while fighting to earn a first 11 spot aslong as he gets his head down and grafts cause this is his last chance of a decent career otherwise if he does what he did last season and sulcked instead of rolling up his sleeves and proving his worth he will be another on a long list of talented players who end up in the lower leagues and fading. Dolan is a brilliant talent everything you want in a winger, normally even in friendlies young lads are hesitant and too nervy to have a pop at these big experienced lads but he was direct and quick and was eager to prove what he can do and looked to Express himself, he will be an asset for us no doubt soon, play him in cup games for now and as back up but needs to play with the 23s for most parts as we don't just wanna throw him in yet, best to ease him in. 

In terms of defence lenihan, wharton, William's, carter and a new one will be our options but what we should see and are likely to see is carter and magloire loaned out so lenihan and a new defender as regular starters, Wharton 3rd choice competing for a place, Williams who's injury prone anyway and will leave at the end of the season will be left out most of the time must waiting for injuries and suspensions to get games

10 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

This is what’s frustrating me at the moment. I really want to see JRC play in the front 3 for a few games but he’s being shoehorned into the LB position because we don’t have anyone else of any quality to play there! Hope we get someone in so he can play further up.

• Like 5

From what I could see, Fleetwood put out their play-off first team and subs for the whole game and were taking it very seriously.

Add in the wind, particularly in the first half and that was a game strewn with banana skins especially as we fielded two totally different in the two halves.

So a win, let alone a 4-1 romp is an achievement even with all the pre-season caveats.

What is encouraging is that probably 19 of the 23 players seriously enhanced their case for inclusion in the first starting XI.

What is discouraging is Mowbray will pick the wrong XI, the wrong tactics and the wrong subs...

• Like 4

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Chapman did more in 5 minutes than Rothwell did in 45. As did the young lad Dolan. You can have all the talent in the world but if the end result is nothing you're not long for the first team world.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, philipl said:

From what I could see, Fleetwood put out their play-off first team and subs for the whole game and were taking it very seriously.

Add in the wind, particularly in the first half and that was a game strewn with banana skins especially as we fielded two totally different in the two halves.

So a win, let alone a 4-1 romp is an achievement even with all the pre-season caveats.

What is encouraging is that probably 19 of the 23 players seriously enhanced their case for inclusion in the first starting XI.

What is discouraging is Mowbray will pick the wrong XI, the wrong tactics and the wrong subs...

I agree with you Phillip It was a decent performance given the circumstances. I thought 4-1 flattered us but I'll take it every day. Armstrong looked particularly sharp, especially for his second goal. What we are desperately lacking is a central midfield player who can carry the ball from our half into the last third.  Oh for a young David Dunn. Our central midfield are all pretty stodgy spear carriers. Every team needs one in that role but two is a luxury.