BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fleetwood Town (A) - Pre-Season 2020/21

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He looks like a winger having to stand in for the full back in an emergency. He has no real idea of how to play the fullback role successfully. You need to be decisive and he's terminally indecisive.

In defensive situations like one on one or positioning he's not improved 1 bit in his time here. I think look back over the seasons when he's played the amount of times someone has walked past him in the LB position or got their cross in would be far too high.

People keep saying he's good back up but i don't think so neither do i think Mowbray sees him as that. I think he looks at him as another of his option players to rotate about given the opposition. That in itself fills me with dread.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Chapman did more in 5 minutes than Rothwell did in 45. As did the young lad Dolan. You can have all the talent in the world but if the end result is nothing you're not long for the first team world.

Rothwell came off injured after 30 minutes. Did you not notice that? or play the same position as the 2 pacey players both played down the right side where Fleetwood weakness was

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rothwell came off injured after 30 minutes. Did you not notice that? or play the same position as the 2 pacey players both played down the right side where Fleetwood weakness was

Just after he had missed a sitter, when Armstrong set him up in the box.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No I never noticed him go off, that's probably because I hardly noticed him when he was on the pitch. The game just passed him by. It's not always easy getting into the game from out wide but he's got to do better than that.

Players come in two groups for me 1) The players that can play right from the kick off. 2) The players that can play when the first group have set up the game for them to shine. I'd say Rothwell belongs in Group 2.

The young kid comes on and right away you know he wants to be out there. Not just on the ball but off it as well. He was showing for a pass all the time and he put himself about harrying the Fleetwood defence.

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

In defensive situations like one on one or positioning he's not improved 1 bit in his time here. I think look back over the seasons when he's played the amount of times someone has walked past him in the LB position or got their cross in would be far too high.

People keep saying he's good back up but i don't think so neither do i think Mowbray sees him as that. I think he looks at him as another of his option players to rotate about given the opposition. That in itself fills me with dread.

Looking at him purely as a left full back he's not even back up standard. He must be great to play against because he always give the winger room to turn on the ball. Rule No 1 - Never let your winger turn with the ball and get a run at you. Keep them facing back down the pitch.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Looking at him purely as a left full back he's not even back up standard. He must be great to play against because he always give the winger room to turn on the ball. Rule No 1 - Never let your winger turn with the ball and get a run at you. Keep them facing back down the pitch.

as a former full back(albeit not a very good one)i can confirm this is correct,nothing worse than being ran at,it tires you out,gives the winger more confidence and in the end you end up getting booked or sent off for one to many fouls

3 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

as a former full back(albeit not a very good one)i can confirm this is correct,nothing worse than being ran at,it tires you out,gives the winger more confidence and in the end you end up getting booked or sent off for one to many fouls

The thing is if you let them turn and run at you usually they are running and you aren't - only one winner there 9 times out of 10.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Chapman did more in 5 minutes than Rothwell did in 45. As did the young lad Dolan. You can have all the talent in the world but if the end result is nothing you're not long for the first team world.

It's almost as if Rothwell isn't a wide player.

3 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

Depends how fast you are - I played FB too (sadly not good enough to play CM!) and it all depended on the opponent. If you were faster, I gave him space and challenged him to beat me. If he was faster, I got close and harried him. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Depends how fast you are - I played FB too (sadly not good enough to play CM!) and it all depended on the opponent. If you were faster, I gave him space and challenged him to beat me. If he was faster, I got close and harried him. 

" I got close and harried him "- shorthand for " I got close and kicked him ". I use to say " Right, I've seen how quick you are, now let's see how brave you are ".

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Its infuriating people paid thousands per week to coach, manage can't acknowledge that when they can clearly see it. Usually a lad with a bit of pace can dig himself out of a few holes at this level. The Olssons were a prime example of that but iv'e never really seen it in Bell.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

" I got close and harried him "- shorthand for " I got close and kicked him ". I use to say " Right, I've seen how quick you are, now let's see how brave you are ".

Nah, I was never that player. Just got much closer to them and pressured them. At my level there were v few who had quick enough feet to beat you if you pressured them as they were receiving the ball.

The ones that did, and were faster than you, rinsed you.

33 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Nah, I was never that player. Just got much closer to them and pressured them. At my level there were v few who had quick enough feet to beat you if you pressured them as they were receiving the ball.

The ones that did, and were faster than you, rinsed you.

There's an art in being close enough to worry your opponent into not turning yet not close enough that he can turn and do you in one easy movement. Positioning is all important. Bell has a lot to learn.

• J*B unpinned this topic
On 23/08/2020 at 17:58, Exiled_Rover said:

He's a CM. 

Is he though really? He prefers to run with the ball than pass it. He's too "head down" to be a true CM in my opinion 

I think technique wise he could make CM - he can pass pretty well when he wants to, and has really good feet. But the way he moves around the pitch so freely and every time he receives the ball he wants to turn and run - sometimes quite blindly - is a real issue which he hasn't broken out of in 2 years.

I cant really see that much of a future for him at Rovers to be honest. Obviously talented but lacks a clear role and path forward.

• Like 1