BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blue and white halves reversed is unmistakably a Blackburn Rovers kit. Big clubs like Man U and Liverpool just generic red so without the crest who is it really. All white spurs, Real Madrid could be anyone.

I appreciate we nicked ours off eton and others have nicked it off us. But even if you hid the club crest anyone that knows anything about football would know that’s a Blackburn Rovers kit. Change the colours to red, yellow, whatever then it must be the Rovers away kit. The recent kit style are just generic training tops could probably buy at sports soccer. 

4 hours ago, matt83 said:

2007 ish. Just stick with that. 

72BF8A9E-62FD-4DB6-AA71-598BB93DEBDA.jpeg

I wish we'd have halved away kits every year, just with rotated colours. So few teams in world football have a style of kit as uniquely identifiable as ours - we should make as much of it as possible.

Yellow & Black halves would be excellent.

• Like 1

On the question of 3rd kits, we've had one 4 of the last 10 seasons (12/13, 14/15, 16/17 and 19/20). The 6 seasons where we haven't, the away kit has either been predominantly red or yellow. 

So can't see any justification for a 3rd kit this season, especially as the blue away shorts can be used instead of the white ones with the home shirt against teams with mainly red home colours but white shorts. 

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I wish we'd have halved away kits every year, just with rotated colours. So few teams in world football have a style of kit as uniquely identifiable as ours - we should make as much of it as possible. 

Don't these companies pour money into marketing divisions?

I know BRFCS is a small sample size but there's always a clamour for the red & black halved jersey, and I bet there's plenty of fans outside here who'd lap it up.

Seems the club are missing a trick.

3 hours ago, Amo said:

I know BRFCS is a small sample size but there's always a clamour for the red & black halved jersey, and I bet there's plenty of fans outside here who'd lap it up.

They do, but Umbro don't give a fuck about us - we don't shift enough stock.

They just pick something out of their back catalogue and whack our badge / sponsor on it. Job's a good'un. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

They just pick something out of their back catalogue and whack our badge / sponsor on it. Job's a good'un. 

But they don't select our kits from their back catalouge. All of our home or away shirts have been designed from scratch and are not available as a teamwear option. The only kits that come from the teamwear catalogue are the third kits, and that's down to the club not wanting to have a contract that means we have to have one every single season like pretty much every other club in the country. If we do ever need one, the club sort it themselves, hence the fact that Umbro never even acknowledged that we third kit last season.

Umbro are actually one of the few manufacturers that actually create unique kits for their clubs. Even Hummel who are often credited with making unique kits, resuse their designs a lot. This season they have given Bristol City and Charlton pretty much the same kit bar an extra red stripe on the collar and cuff on one of them.

I think you have to give some credit to the club for not forcing a third kit on the fans every season given the number of clubs that do even when they aren't actually needed. Norwich are the worst offenders for this and Newcastle do it a lot too. Spurs are releasing a grey forth kit this season despite the fact there is no team in the world to play against that would force them to use it.

Edited by Gumbi

5 hours ago, Amo said:

There does always seem to be a clamour for red and black halves, but last time (2007 as posters above have mentioned) whilst it was a much loved shirt and sold well, it wasn't the commercial triumph that you might have expected. 

It was significantly outsold by the 2008 away shirt _20200905_235336.JPG.ea8d7ffb0040d69e9b3fc89ecac83444.JPG

Which was in turn itself battered in the sales figures by the 2009 shirt_20200905_235409.JPG.648ae2141e0b202954608a625b9cd869.JPG

Not only that, but the 2007 home shirt sales were (in comparison to normal) disastrous because the red and black halves cannibalised the blue and white. 

I was told the logic for all this - it was 10 years ago but I'll try and recall accurately. Because the halved shirt is so distinctive, it is generally worn by fans only on football related occasions, like attending home matches or playing 5-a-side with mates or whatever. You don't grab it as first choice to nip to the pub or do the weekly supermarket shop because it stands out and immediately identifies you in an environment where you might not want to be identified. 

What they achieved with the next two away shirts (and especially the 2009 white one) was something that would much more readily be used as everyday leisurewear, which was why they both outsold the red and black halves, and also why that shirt caused the drop in home shirt sales in 2007. People didn't want to buy two "non-leisurewear" shirts so chose one or the other. 

In short, Umbro (or Nike, Kappa, whoever) realise that the home shirt is basically untouchable bar a few tweaks around the edges, and therefore home shirt sales don't vary much from season to season. So the away shirt is the only chance to be creative in an attempt to boost sales.

Which is why commercially it just doesn't work to have both as halved, and that's why it has been 13 years since it happened. 

Edited by Ben Frost
spelling
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Ben Frost said:

Which was in turn itself battered in the sales figures by the 2009 shirt_20200905_235409.JPG.648ae2141e0b202954608a625b9cd869.JPG

Ugh, really? ?

I never got the love for that one or the logic behind it.

"Okay, Blackburn's home colours are blue, white and red... So, for the away strip, we'll go..."

• Like 2

Who on earth at the club has come up with the ridiculous notion that you only ever wear our fantastic, unique halved home shirt at Ewood, whilst when it’s time to go th’Asda you’d be straight into your wardrobe for whatever that year’s throwaway away shirt is?

Edited by Mattyblue

15 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

What a bunch of idiots.

Don’t they realise that they won’t sell any because their fans won’t be able to wear them to nip to the Asda in case someone notices they are a fans of the club?!

Wait, no, isn’t that the whole point...? ?

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Gumbi said:

But they don't select our kits from their back catalouge. All of our home or away shirts have been designed from scratch and are not available as a teamwear option. The only kits that come from the teamwear catalogue are the third kits, and that's down to the club not wanting to have a contract that means we have to have one every single season like pretty much every other club in the country. If we do ever need one, the club sort it themselves, hence the fact that Umbro never even acknowledged that we third kit last season.

Umbro are actually one of the few manufacturers that actually create unique kits for their clubs. Even Hummel who are often credited with making unique kits, resuse their designs a lot. This season they have given Bristol City and Charlton pretty much the same kit bar an extra red stripe on the collar and cuff on one of them.

I think you have to give some credit to the club for not forcing a third kit on the fans every season given the number of clubs that do even when they aren't actually needed. Norwich are the worst offenders for this and Newcastle do it a lot too. Spurs are releasing a grey forth kit this season despite the fact there is no team in the world to play against that would force them to use it.

Do you not think it looks poor when we are turning up at numerous games wearing either something we've picked from a catalogue or even wearing last seasons kit with a different sponsor stuck on?

I think it looks awful and unprofessional 

I want the club to look smart, professional and full of class. We should wear our World famous blue and white wherever and whenever we can.

Those halves are Blackburn Rovers and we didn't even need a crest until the 70s such is the importance of it.

Turning up wearing some generic rubbish from a catalogue that fans can't even buy or a new sponsor stuck on an old kit just looks naff. Like we haven't any idea.