BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Match Time Machine

The legendary Plymouth game in 75 i think it was, just because iv'e heard so much about it.  Would be nice to see if it lived up to its status.

Other than that any wins over Manure or Liverpool or the 1970's Burnley derbies.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The legendary Plymouth game in 75 i think it was, just because iv'e heard so much about it.  Would be nice to see if it lived up to its status.

I was about to come in and post that one.

My Grandad always said, even after 95, that this was his favourite ever game. Such a shame there doesn't seem to be any footage out there of it.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I was about to come in and post that one.

My Grandad always said, even after 95, that this was his favourite ever game. Such a shame there doesn't seem to be any footage out there of it.

This was the game I would have loved to have seen. I was working in Cornwall at the time and I had been to the game at Home Park a couple of weeks before when we lost 2-1, so it was sweet to put one over on my Argyle workmates.

I was fortunate to see the 7-2 Spurs game and the 5-2 Plymouth match. Both fantastic occasions for different reasons. The Rovers side of the early 1960s was the best I've seen in blue and white halves so I'll have to give that match the vote

Just now, jim mk2 said:

I was fortunate to see the 7-2 Spurs game and the 5-2 Plymouth match. Both fantastic occasions for different reasons. The Rovers side of the early 1960s was the best I've seen in blue and white halves so I'll have to give that match the vote

I was at the Plymouth match as well Jim. Two great performances but different in character. In the Spurs game we totally out skilled them from start to finish, Possibly the best I saw Bryan Douglas play, they'd no answer to him in midfield. it could have been 10-2 easily

In the Plymouth game it was more about our fighting spirit and determination to run Plymouth into the ground, especially after half time. Our level of intensity never let up and they were well beaten at the end.

I would have liked to have seen that Boxing Day match, West Ham 2- Rovers 8 game.

• Like 2

Rovers 7 v Spurs 2, my first visit to Ewood and lucky enough to see one of our best ever performances.

My Dad took me and I also want to recheck where I was. I've got a recollection of looking down to the pitch so it could have been the Nuttall St, it definitely wasn't the Riverside as I remember looking at the crowd in there from across the pitch. I think Dad gave me a special treat that first day as after that he took me in the Enclosure/ Paddock (?) Darwen side and put me over the wall. Memory not what is was ......

I thought the ground look full that day and surprised that it was only 21K ish

There's a FaceBook page with a lot of quality matchday photos from the game

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 4

I remember a game  early 90s I think where they gave us the darwen end for a period, terracing.....Hendry popping up and scoring a last minute winner or equaliser.....I was in the darwen end and that sticks with me.

Anyone put a game to my description?

Edited by Sparks Rover

Being in my 30s I’d like to go back to a game that had Douglas and Clayton playing just to see how good they were for myself. 

Or maybe to the game against Darwen in the late 1800s when it all kicked off. I think we nicked one of there players or something. I remember reading about a game between the two that got abit tasty shall we say 

Surprised I'm only the second to mention this I think, but the title win at Anfield. Not because of the game itself of course but the rollercoaster of emotions and the aftermath (I'm assuming here I get to stay a while after the match!). I was only 10 at the time and couldn't attend, which I was pissed at my parents for (they went, box tickets I think, or limited to two for some reason anyway). Would love to have experienced it.

After that, the Worthy final, or the 5-0 Burnley drubbing, both of which I did get to see. Wouldn't mind going back in time to see the legendary Douglas though, see what all the fuss was about ;)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I remember a game  early 90s I think where they gave us the darwen end for a period, terracing.....Hendry popping up and scoring a last minute winner or equaliser.....I was in the darwen end and that sticks with me.

Anyone put a game to my description?

Leicester at home? Around 87/88ish?

Hendry scored a last minute equaliser to make it 3-3.

• Like 2

Considering I've never been a season ticket holder for sporting and then working reasons I've been lucky to see some great games almost by random chance. Beating Man Utd 3-0 at Old Trafford was pretty special. Bryan Douglas running Law and Charlton, Stiles etc ragged was another great performance.

It was incredible that when Bryan was the best attacking midfield player in England for about 2 seasons he only got one game there. We played Switzerland away, won 8-1, Bryan ran the show in midfield, scored a goal - and never got another cap !

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Yeah Rovers fans were in both ends for that one, and I think a few more around that time.

Blimey, I didn't realise that. I was at every home game that season as well as I had done my ACI and couldn't play. I was always on the Blackburn End. 

10 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Blimey, I didn't realise that. I was at every home game that season as well as I had done my ACI and couldn't play. I was always on the Blackburn End. 

Think this is actually posted in the nostalgia thread too.

Rovers fans in both ends, away fans in the Darwen End enclosure, and the TV cameras on the Riverside, which was extremely rare back then.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1