BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Excitement ahead of the coming season?

How are people feeling ahead of the current season? Has anyone managed to maintain even a slither of excitement?

Just personally totally disillusioned with the whole situation. Of course primarily regarding the pandemic which is out of anyones hands. Maybe part of the season will be watchable in stadiums. Maybe not. Ans if it is, all very sparse. All very diluted. No singing allowed, no atmosphere. No sitting with mates. No last minute winners followed by going mad. No drinks in a packed pub or the concourse. Sitting for hours with a mask on. No away days. No away fans at Ewood.

There is a feeling of stagnation with the manager to chuck in for me too.

The owners seem to have now totally forgotten about us, even more so than before. Not even a suggestion that we will strengthen. The incredibly high possibility of having a kid on loan in net again. Our assets will inevitably leave in the next 12 months. No communication from the club. No further idea on how we can watch the games.

Just for example saw the cup draw. Usually id be hoping for specific games, maybe Harrogate away or similar. As it is, I didnt give a shit. Probably will be the same on fixture release day on Friday. Id usually eagerly anticipate the opening day fixture, weve had some horrible starts in recent years but it doesnt dampen excitement. Losing at Southend, going 3 down at home to Norwich in 25 minutes, last years frustration at home to Charlton. And then theres looking out for specific away days, Preston and the day out there. 

Im just interested to know if I am the exception and if people are out there desperately counting down the days until the new season.

• Like 6

• Moderation Lead

I can’t go to the games, I can’t drink cheap Heineken in the Working Men’s before hand either, so I’m really indifferent towards it so far....

Even if we had a few signings, a new kit, season tickets on sale- I would still be the same. COVID has sapped my enthusiasm for a lot of things that we have to have ‘diet’ versions of. 

• Like 7

It's going to be awful experience when we can go to games again.

Social distance seating, less than half capacity (no change for us I suppose), wearing masks during games, no chanting/singing, no away days.

I can't see myself rushing back under these stipulations to be honest.

• Like 2

I am completely ambivalent towards the new season primarily because BCD does absolutely nothing for me and completely dilutes the product. Normally the new seasons fixtures would signal planning road trips, booking trains and speaking to fellow travellers regarding arrangements. I can't even get frustrated about the lack of pretty much anything coming from the club either on or off the field.

I had a conversation yesterday with the ex stadium and security manager at Ewood. He now works as a consultant and is working closely with the National League and several of their clubs looking at the feasibility of getting supporters back into stadiums. His words were that it's going to be extremely difficult to take a unilateral approach given the many different stadium designs and logistics. I personally don't believe we will be watching live football for several months yet despite the bluster of the people in power.

• Like 6

Finding it hard to get going at all. Would normally have watched this morning's draw and hoped for a decent match up. On Friday I'd have spent the morning planning which away days I'd go for, which weekends I'd conveniently come back home for and drop by Ewood, when the crunch time is so we'd know if this season might be the one, who we play on Boxing Day, New Year's etc...

Couple the likely prevailing situation of limited home fans only, and even then with minimal fun and interaction with the sadly unsurprising lack of signings, kit or even general news and developments from the club and it just feels a bit hollow really.

My last Rovers match was Derby away and I had a great time despite the score - new ground, typical wedged away end, plenty of alcohol (numbs the pain!) and found a great pub in Derby afterwards. The fact that that could well be my last such experience in years genuinely hurts.

I could stand the finish to the end of last season I think for two reasons - we could hardly do anything else as an alternative passtime anyway, and the closeness to the climax of the season coupled with the intensity of matches meant it was actually rather fun, for all the usual anger, pain and frustration.

Being as it is now, when the world has practically reopened except for football grounds, coupled with the lack of general excitement, in all honesty I will find it very hard to maintain full interest. I'm not spending my weekends following text updates or looking for dodgy streams. 

• Like 1

I have zero excitement ahead of the coming season and it has nothing whatsoever to do with COVID,

Those likely  restrictions if they come in are unavoidable and out of our control and whilst I think the current measures being taken to get the virus downfrom minimal to negligible  levels are a massive over-reaction and I don't agree with them, we'll likely have to suck up the inconvenience if we wish to attend in person. (I may not bother attending on principle until its restriction free but that's a separate issue)

My apathy is entirely due to our lack of prospects on the pitch. And I'm sure I'll feel this way until  Mowbray, Waggott, Venus and Lowe depart.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

How are people feeling ahead of the current season? Has anyone managed to maintain even a slither of excitement?

Just personally totally disillusioned with the whole situation. Of course primarily regarding the pandemic which is out of anyones hands. Maybe part of the season will be watchable in stadiums. Maybe not. Ans if it is, all very sparse. All very diluted. No singing allowed, no atmosphere. No sitting with mates. No last minute winners followed by going mad. No drinks in a packed pub or the concourse. Sitting for hours with a mask on. No away days. No away fans at Ewood.

There is a feeling of stagnation with the manager to chuck in for me too.

The owners seem to have now totally forgotten about us, even more so than before. Not even a suggestion that we will strengthen. The incredibly high possibility of having a kid on loan in net again. Our assets will inevitably leave in the next 12 months. No communication from the club. No further idea on how we can watch the games.

Just for example saw the cup draw. Usually id be hoping for specific games, maybe Harrogate away or similar. As it is, I didnt give a shit. Probably will be the same on fixture release day on Friday. Id usually eagerly anticipate the opening day fixture, weve had some horrible starts in recent years but it doesnt dampen excitement. Losing at Southend, going 3 down at home to Norwich in 25 minutes, last years frustration at home to Charlton. And then theres looking out for specific away days, Preston and the day out there. 

Im just interested to know if I am the exception and if people are out there desperately counting down the days until the new season.

No your not alone mate. I feel the same . I’d be excited about going to fleetwood for the pre season Friendly as it is a ground I haven’t been to. Looking when we play Wycombe and Preston away etc . Even some under 23 away games like ramsbottom and places I haven’t been .I didn’t even know when they were being released or even thought of it until your post . Normally it’s earmarked in my diary ready to get the holidays booked for said weekends. Maybe the way the season ended, the noise or lack of potential signings and knowing we won’t be attending the first game add to all this. I’m hoping once it kicks off I will feel differently, I know after we beat Bristol on the first game after lockdown my enthusiasm was as a strong as ever so I’m hoping for a good start and maybe get used to the situation rather than be frustrated by it

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 2

Can't really get excited about the season when you aren't going to be allowed into Stadiums in normal way and sit together with your friends, discussing football with people around in the stadium, watching the game on tv before the game, having a pre match burger. Going into the club shop before the game. 

Normally I would be going some pre season games but not allowed. or even attend some of the under 23 or under 18 games either. 

So to get excited when if you are going to be allowed into stadiums only if you were a facemask, social distancing and only allowing to used the concourse for toilet facilities isn't normal football supporters life . 

I will still check the fixtures when they come out on Friday or when signings are made but this isn't a normal pre season. 

Football won't be normal until we are allowed to return to normal British life and thats is only through a Vaccine or treatment in my opinion  

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I am completely ambivalent towards the new season primarily because BCD does absolutely nothing for me and completely dilutes the product. Normally the new seasons fixtures would signal planning road trips, booking trains and speaking to fellow travellers regarding arrangements. I can't even get frustrated about the lack of pretty much anything coming from the club either on or off the field.

I had a conversation yesterday with the ex stadium and security manager at Ewood. He now works as a consultant and is working closely with the National League and several of their clubs looking at the feasibility of getting supporters back into stadiums. His words were that it's going to be extremely difficult to take a unilateral approach given the many different stadium designs and logistics. I personally don't believe we will be watching live football for several months yet despite the bluster of the people in power.

Non-league teams are really pushing for it. It's just not viable for many of them to play without gate receipts.

They've already had fixtures and dates released, and if they can't have 3-400 in grounds that could easily accommodate 2000+ it's just ridiculous.

• Like 1

Right now, there is no excitement, just fear really.

Our shambolic transfer policy is worrying and at this moment in time we are likely lining up on the opening day like:

-------------------------Fisher

Nyambe----Lenihan---Williams---JRC

Thats not great.

Obviously, chances are we will sign some players by then but most people are saying nothing is close at the moment and the amount of time it usually takes to get a signing over the line isn't a great confidence boost.

Then there is always the possibility of Dack, Arma, Trav or Lenihan being sold to keep the wolves from the door.

So, no, not excited at present.

• Like 3

We don’t even know if we will be able to watch the BCD games.

The idea of listening to the radio with no crowd noise is about as enthusing as a Becks Blue shandy at a vegan BBQ. In November. In the rain.

At some point, we are going to have to get used to doing normal things in less than normal circumstances.

We can choose to vape knowing that it could harm our health (and potentially others around us). Much like vaping the long term effects of coronavirus on our lungs are not yet known. We should be able to go to venues (especially outdoor ones) with the same caveats.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Right now, there is no excitement, just fear really.

Our shambolic transfer policy is worrying and at this moment in time we are likely lining up on the opening day like:

-------------------------Fisher

Nyambe----Lenihan---Williams---JRC

Thats not great.

Obviously, chances are we will sign some players by then but most people are saying nothing is close at the moment and the amount of time it usually takes to get a signing over the line isn't a great confidence boost.

Then there is always the possibility of Dack, Arma, Trav or Lenihan being sold to keep the wolves from the door.

So, no, not excited at present.

Good point. Even on the pitch there isn’t much to get excited about.

• Like 1

The enthusiasm is severely lacking so far for the new season. On the pitch it is so annoying, for once there is great value in the transfer market, if you think we could sign Phillips, Cunningham, Lindsay, Whiteman and lets say Martin (i may have got the spellings wrong) and solve pretty much all of our issues in the side and still have change out of £6m. I am sure their wages are pretty much the same as the players we released as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I'm excited cos I will get to watch all of our games on Ifollow. I'm not excited by how the window is going. Mowbray clearly wants Downing back, if that deal can't be done, it should raise concerns. On paper the easiest deal of all time, but ya, Ifollow..yeah. 

Out of interest as a fan from afar. How much is the experience of watching the games diluted without the fans?

For example, for me the overall experience is massively impaired in terms of attending, but I even found the away games I hadnt planned to attend to be surreal, almost like training games. It just felt weird. But obviously part of that may have been subconsciously for example that even if we had made the play offs, I couldnt go to them either. But the individual games lost importance.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Out of interest as a fan from afar. How much is the experience of watching the games diluted without the fans?

For example, for me the overall experience is massively impaired in terms of attending, but I even found the away games I hadnt planned to attend to be surreal, almost like training games. It just felt weird. But obviously part of that may have been subconsciously for example that even if we had made the play offs, I couldnt go to them either. But the individual games lost importance.

Well I don't get to watch many Rovers game live, so being able to watch  every game on Ifollow is a revelation. I have a VPN and could mess around, but wasn't always possible to get it to work.  Used to get over at least once a season in my 20s (3 one season :) ) , but in my 30s about once every 2-3 seasons. I have an Ireland season ticket, I live about 3km from the stadium, so go and watch them a bit , for my sins. Haven't had much to cheer about with either team in the last number of years, so honestly, I prefer watching at home with a beer. If what I was watching was easier on the eye, I would be more excited about going. 

The games on ifollow post lockdown did look weird, like training games,but maybe that was just because we were shi*e. I'm sure Leeds, WBA, Fulham and even Brentford fans enjoyed it. I like the 2 guys that do the commentary on Ifollow, so it was good having them still doing it. I mean it does take from the experience of any sport not having a crowd, even wrestling, if you can call that a sport. The fake crowd noise was ok, til it hit me that it was fake. I think a solid 5,000 being allowed into Ewood and spread out would make it more enjoyable to watch. I just hope the option for Ifollow continues for the season! 

• Like 1

As flat as a witches tit ..

8 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I can’t go to the games, I can’t drink cheap Heineken in the Working Men’s before hand either, so I’m really indifferent towards it so far....

Even if we had a few signings, a new kit, season tickets on sale- I would still be the same. COVID has sapped my enthusiasm for a lot of things that we have to have ‘diet’ versions of. 

Spot on ..its the "match day" experience that I look forward to most ..from 12-30 to 6-30pm ..all that's going to change big style ..and not for the better.

• Like 2

There isn't really any although i'm looking forward to just seeing some football regularly. Think for quite a few clubs of our ilk with our type of fanbase this is the crossroads between a lot transitioning to TV season tickets in the future. The whole landscape could change the longer it goes one once people get used to every game from their armchairs.

As for the team i'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised with the management giving a vibrant youthful look to it and a higher tempo approach to every game. Due to the cut backs and lack of crowds they might gamble with getting a season into as many youngsters as poss and hoping for the best.

Otherwise it's favourite city, rotating and mid table boring tip tap.