BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The State of Ewood Park!

16 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I suggested something similar and a few posters ridiculed the idea. During the school holidays a few dozen kids under supervision would clear the area of weeds and rubbish. Offering each of them a season ticket and a McDonalds for dinner would cost next to nothing.

Not only would it cost buttons, it would make those involved feel connected to the club, perhaps for the first time in some cases. Great idea.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Mercer said:

IMO, a can't be arsed attitude prevails at Ewood.

IMO, a rocket up several arses needed.  Better still, sack, IMO, the bunch of can't be arsed / lazy b@st@rds and appoint folk with real pride in the club and its community.

This attitude is obviously seeps down through the hierarchy of the club. 

If only we had owners who cared, if only we had a board who cared ( or a functioning board at all ).

Can you imagine this sort of attitude prevailing when Jack was around and John Williams was in the building?

From a bastion of the local community, representing the town nationwide, the pride of Lancashire, to not moving shite and filth piling up outside the main entrance because 'it isn't our job to sort it'.

If such a relatively small and inexpensive task requires outrage on the media and complaints being sent in by fans to sort then it doesn't bode well.

• Like 6

If the residents have their own parking bays then surely it wouldn't harm then to try and keep them tidy ?  If they get charged for them somehow then fair enough it's the vendors responsibility.

Wouldn't expect them having to clear up when there are matches on regularly either but in this odd hiatus get outside with a bin bag and brush if it's your space.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MCMC1875 said:

The backstreet is reasonably tidy. The eyesores are the parking bays which the club have ignored for 10 years. 

Well I had to drive past Ewood earlier today so I went to have a quick look. And would have to disagree with you. 

Going towards Kidder Street from Tweed Street, there are a few cans and some McDonald's packaging up against the walls on the parking bays. Certainly nothing "piling up" as alleged a few posts up. If I lived in one of those houses I'd just litter pick it myself - and they quite possibly do, but maybe it just comes back every Friday night when kids do what kids do down back alleys near fast food places. 

However a couple of the houses choose to keep their bins on the alley, and there were some overflow bin bags, but on the opposite side from the parking bays. 

Going the other way from Tweed Street to the Darwen End, hardly any litter by the parking bays, probably because it's further from McDonald's. However the end house on the terrace (where the burger van parks) had the back gate open, and the yard was full of bin bags, and a couple of the bin bags had made their way on to the back alley. 

Like I said, if I lived on that row I would tidy it myself, but each to their own. All the traffic lights on the A666 / Kidder Street / ridiculous bus lane junction were out of action so as soon as I got home I emailed Steve Waggott to ask why the **** Rovers hadn't sorted that one out ?‍♂️ 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ben Frost said:

All the traffic lights on the A666 / Kidder Street / ridiculous bus lane junction were out of action so as soon as I got home I emailed Steve Waggott to ask why the **** Rovers hadn't sorted that one out ?‍♂️ 

Good Grief.

Is that the best you can come up with?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'll have a look later after work.

Excellent ?... If you take one of those litter grabbing stick things and a bin bag I reckon you'd be done in 15 minutes. 

(Although I wouldn't touch the bin bags referred to in the end terrace at the Darwen End. Just looked well dodgy, might be unsafe waste) 

1 minute ago, Ben Frost said:

Excellent ?... If you take one of those litter grabbing stick things and a bin bag I reckon you'd be done in 15 minutes. 

So why can't Rovers do it then? ?

That was the general thrust of my post, I really don't think anyone is expecting the Club to do anything unreasonable at all yet you make it sound as if they're asking them to split the atom!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

So why can't Rovers do it then? ?

That was the general thrust of my post, I really don't think anyone is expecting the Club to do anything unreasonable at all yet you make it sound as if they're asking them to split the atom!

As far as I know, most maintenance staff are still on furlough (presumably this will change at the end of October). Those that are working are keeping Ewood compliant for matches and Brockhall safe for training. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Prelude said:

Screenshot_20201015-201600_Gmail.jpg

That one reads slightly better than the other ones which were slightly pathetic. Divert blame and dither. Even in this one I don’t doubt for one second they are “preserving ewood park at the standards THEY have been accustomed to.” That’s the problem. Zero standards.

Plus they don’t seem to grasp furlough wasn’t and isn’t mandatory. Could have easily had a skeleton crew in doing basic maintenance.

Unfortunately they’ve effectively had to be shamed again into delivering basic standards but they do seem to be lumbering into action. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, MCMC1875 said:

When the houses on Nuttall Street were being demolished, a body was was dug up in one of the backyards between Tweed Street and Kidder Street which briefly halted the work and led to a murder investigation. 

Jack's actions even solved a murder. What a guy!

Considering that Ewood is Jack's real legacy (alongside the title win and of course his success in business) of course it's important that the stadium be maintained. Particularly the Jack Walker stand. On the other hand it's all very superficial because people don't realise image and mentality should go hand in hand. 

Edited by Vinjay
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, MCMC1875 said:

When the houses on Nuttall Street were being demolished, a body was was dug up in one of the backyards between Tweed Street and Kidder Street which briefly halted the work and led to a murder investigation. 

And David batty has never been seen since ??

• Like 2

On 18/10/2020 at 03:49, MCMC1875 said:

Aye it was a sad and tawdry story that one with the murdered lad being from my younger brother's year at school, Julian Brookfield. 

The poor soul would likely still be buried in that back yard to this day but for the Jack Walker stand being built.

I used to walk down that alley way many years ago to school. Down from Marlton Rd, under the "mucky bridge", past the Aqueduct and down the alley towards St Barts. Maybe you have a different view of things as a kid but I certainly don't ever recall it being in as bad a state as it is now. Is that because the residents of the adjacent houses were prouder back then or because the council and club have both had their budgets cut in them years? I know which one I'd wager...

Unfortunately for every story you tell about how you clean your flags, there'll be a story about someone who doesn't. Not all people will clean up after themselves but the surrounding businesses should be looking at maintaining the area to the best of their ability in order to attract new investment. As Blackburn Rovers are the biggest business in the area (excluding the likes of McDonalds or Aldi who are big business and have no real footprint on the local community) they should be taking the burden of responsibility and keeping all adjacent roads and alleyways as clear of litter and grime as possible. It will cost pittance in comparison to the thousands a week they pay players.

As an aside, I always remember my Grandad regularly sweeping the alleyway at the back of his Marlton Rd house. Never see that kind of thing anymore and as I got older you could start to see the difference between his flags front / back and everybody else. As it has been said, a simple matter of pride.

That maintenance guy sounds like most people you meet in life. "Oh, I think this area is our responsibility but that isn't". A man driven by numbers on a spreadsheet and determined to his very best at avoiding responsibility. Whether the rubbish is on the bays or the access road by it just get out there and pick it up. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I used to walk down that alley way many years ago to school. Down from Marlton Rd, under the "mucky bridge", past the Aqueduct and down the alley towards St Barts. Maybe you have a different view of things as a kid but I certainly don't ever recall it being in as bad a state as it is now. Is that because the residents of the adjacent houses were prouder back then or because the council and club have both had their budgets cut in them years? I know which one I'd wager...

Unfortunately for every story you tell about how you clean your flags, there'll be a story about someone who doesn't. Not all people will clean up after themselves but the surrounding businesses should be looking at maintaining the area to the best of their ability in order to attract new investment. As Blackburn Rovers are the biggest business in the area (excluding the likes of McDonalds or Aldi who are big business and have no real footprint on the local community) they should be taking the burden of responsibility and keeping all adjacent roads and alleyways as clear of litter and grime as possible. It will cost pittance in comparison to the thousands a week they pay players.

As an aside, I always remember my Grandad regularly sweeping the alleyway at the back of his Marlton Rd house. Never see that kind of thing anymore and as I got older you could start to see the difference between his flags front / back and everybody else. As it has been said, a simple matter of pride.

That maintenance guy sounds like most people you meet in life. "Oh, I think this area is our responsibility but that isn't". A man driven by numbers on a spreadsheet and determined to his very best at avoiding responsibility. Whether the rubbish is on the bays or the access road by it just get out there and pick it up. 

I used to do a similar walk to St Barts from Hollin Bank and the back alleys were as clean as the front streets. No rubbish anywhere because the local people had pride in the appearances of their properties and surrounding areas.

It’s a much more depressing walk from the “Mucky Bridge “ now with rubbish strewn all around the back alleys and a general lack of property upkeep. My mum would turn in her grave if she could see it now, so sad. There is no excuse for living in such conditions. It’s got nothing to do with not having any money, as a family back in the 50/60s, we didn’t have any luxuries, just a sense of pride in where we lived. Soapbox rant over.

• Like 2

On 16/10/2020 at 06:10, matt83 said:

Plus they don’t seem to grasp furlough wasn’t and isn’t mandatory. Could have easily had a skeleton crew in doing basic maintenance 

The club did have a skeleton crew in through the lockdown. It’s just that they were doing work to make the ground Covid safe for when we can get back in and doing work on those areas where there is statutory safety work to be done.