BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackpool (A) - Tuesday 25th August

22 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Holtby is another knee jerk signing that kind of sums up the scattergun approach. Decent player but made of glass comes available because other clubs don't fancy taking the risk even though they might like him. We get wind of it, dive in sign him up then spend the next 12 months wondering how to use him.

We need to move away from this system to something a bit more balanced because we have the base of a decent squad now.  It's fair enough when you are throwing one together quickly but time for some smart thinking now.

I agree it's bizarre we signed him considering deficiencies in other areas. But equally he does have quality so we need to figure out how to unlock that.

Could see him having a really good season this year now he's settled. 

Much prefer someone like him whose obviously a talented player who always gives you hope, rather than a plodder.

A centre 3 out of Travis, Holtby and one out of Evans/Johnson/Davenport is decent at this level. Strongest part of the team.

Question will be what happens when Dacks back?I guess he will be playing false 9? Which I just don't think works imo. And then you end up with the lunacy of Gallagher and Breo on the wing. Or you go "wingless wonders" 4312 which at least let's you play strikers as strikers. But leaves us very narrow and where does that leave Dolan and Chapman?

Have to say formation wise things look as uncertain as ever.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I agree it's bizarre we signed him considering deficiencies in other areas. But equally he does have quality so we need to figure out how to unlock that.

Could see him having a really good season this year now he's settled. 

Much prefer someone like him whose obviously a talented player who always gives you hope, rather than a plodder.

A centre 3 out of Travis, Holtby and one out of Evans/Johnson/Davenport is decent at this level. Strongest part of the team.

Question will be what happens when Dacks back?I guess he will be playing false 9? Which I just don't think works imo. And then you end up with the lunacy of Gallagher and Breo on the wing. Or you go "wingless wonders" 4312 which at least let's you play strikers as strikers. But leaves us very narrow and where does that leave Dolan and Chapman?

Have to say formation wise things look as uncertain as ever.

According to the LT Mowbray wants to focus on them getting fitter and playing a pressing game which goes right against everything else he's been trying to implement recently.

With an influx of youth and the players we have i think that's the best way to go but it remains to be seen what he really does. I think the rotation etc will hit new heights this season as he tries to integrate more whilst still figuring out what to do with some of his signings.

I think he'll play it slow with Dack which is the right thing to do.

Brereton showing his capabilities, out of position all the time and young yet still shows glimpses of what he can do with the backing from fans and the manager,easthams distribution brilliant again, Fisher better, Dolan as sharp as ever, we defended brilliantly from the front again it didnt feel like a friendly, when you have players like chapman, arma and Dolan up top who can really pressure the opposition back line and keepers that have lead to us catching them out and scoring in the last two games it can work wonders if we can keep up that airt of work rate and tempo this season 

• Like 1

I watched the majority of the friendly yesterday and I continue to be impressed by the high quality of youngsters coming through the ranks. This is certainly a golden era for us in terms of young talent coming through. 

Dolan is ready for first team action, no doubt about that. From the glimpses I've seen of Brennan, he looks like he's going to be a class act. His touch is excellent. JRC has a great engine and desire for the game. He'll become a fans favourite I reckon. You can see Buckley is very technically gifted but he's too physically weak at the moment to use his talents to the max. Wharton looked strong and good in the air but I feel like he lacks mobility and can be too easily turned over. He'll be a good defender but he'll need to read the game very well as I don't think he'll have the pace to recover from mistakes. Brereton is starting to look the part. He's slowly becoming someone you think he'll make something happen when he gets the ball rather than someone who will try something and immediately lose it or be outmuscled. 

Although we've played two poor teams and we've got signings to come (hopefully!), the signs are that we'll score goals but also concede lots of goals (as per) as it stands. Blackpool bypassed our midfield with relative ease and were able to run at our back 4. They didn't have the quality to expose those holes but many teams in the Championship will. 

Edited by rovers11
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

JRC's best position is outside left (Rothwell's role) according to Mowbray. He's an attacking midfielder by trade. 

Haha, it has quoted me again for some reason!

But indeed I mentioned in the transfer thread, that i think we look light in attacking areas, in terms of an over-reliance on expecting kids to come through and immediately settle. But I would definitely like to see him further forward. When Nyambe is back fit, I would immediately put Rankin Costello on the left and see if he can impact games. 

• Mike E unpinned this topic