BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Doncaster Rovers (H) CARABAO CUP RND1 - Sat 29th Aug

I thought we were very poor today. First 20 minutes basically a mirror image of the domination we showed vs Blackpool on Tuesday, but I thought we looked even less bothered than the two friendlies. Travis quiet, Armstrong frustrated, Bell abysmal. Some really poor football from Rothwell second half, and Chapman seemed to go missing after 20 minutes too. Dolan changed the game again, and I think he's probably merited a start now. 

Amari'i Bell was simply disgusting today. He gave the ball away countless times, gave them the most ridiculous corner I've seen in a long time, and for some people, getting fouled for the penalty will rescue him, but it simply doesn't for me. He was at fault for their second and was just poor all game. Sick of seeing him play. I'd rathe Bennett play RB and Rankin-Costello play on the left.

My ratings:

Fisher - 4

Rankin-Costello - 8 (MOTM)
Lenihan - 6
Wharton - 6
Bell - 3

Travis - 5
Johnson - 5
Holtby - 7

Chapman - 5
Armstrong - 6
Brereton - 6

Subs:
Rothwell - 4
Dolan - 7

Thought Armstrong looked very miserable.....probably not happy with Mowbray’s line up / setup . As one of the more “ senior “ players his attitude is questionable.....negativity in a dressing room is bad news .....needs to do a bit of growing up . He looked less than chuffed with JRC’s equaliser. Hopefully, his head is not at St James’ Park . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I thought we were very poor today. First 20 minutes basically a mirror image of the domination we showed vs Blackpool on Tuesday, but I thought we looked even less bothered than the two friendlies. Travis quiet, Armstrong frustrated, Bell abysmal. Some really poor football from Rothwell second half, and Chapman seemed to go missing after 20 minutes too. Dolan changed the game again, and I think he's probably merited a start now. 

Amari'i Bell was simply disgusting today. He gave the ball away countless times, gave them the most ridiculous corner I've seen in a long time, and for some people, getting fouled for the penalty will rescue him, but it simply doesn't for me. He was at fault for their second and was just poor all game. Sick of seeing him play. I'd rathe Bennett play RB and Rankin-Costello play on the left.

My ratings:

Fisher - 4

Lenihan - 6
Wharton - 6
Bell - 3

Travis - 5
Johnson - 5
Holtby - 7

Chapman - 5
Armstrong - 6
Brereton - 6

Subs:
Rothwell - 4
Dolan - 7

How the hell does Bell get 3? ???

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

In midfield, the downgrade between Holtby and Rothwell was obvious. A long lay off for the former is all we need and probably reason to give Downing a call. Johnson I though was possibly the best of the midfielders. Travis bar one tackle was not his usual self.

Agreed, Rothwell was sensational when he came on. We've not seen those types of runs and passes from the centre of the park for a number of years.

Should give him a run of 5 games with Travis to see if they can form a partnership. 

1 minute ago, Dolly blue said:

Thought Armstrong looked very miserable.....probably not happy with Mowbray’s line up / setup . As one of the more “ senior “ players his attitude is questionable.....negativity in a dressing room is bad news .....needs to do a bit of growing up . He looked less than chuffed with JRC’s equaliser. Hopefully, his head is not at St James’ Park . 

Starts at the top.

Mowbray rooted to his chair all game - again.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah he's had his best ever competitive game for Rovers I think. But it's been a performance of a winger not really a striker.

So odd to have a 6ft+ striker who seems to want to be a winger - always starting wide and running at players with ball at feet. And hates all the classic centre forward play - ie. getting in the box, heading it, playing back to goal etc (before people say "Mowbray made him like that"  as far as I can tell he was like that at Forest too).

But he has been at his best so far today.

He's doing the job that Mowbray has asked him to do. He's obviously not a traditional #9, as he doesn't like playing with his back to goal, but he could play up front in the centre for us. He just likes the ball to feet. 

11 minutes ago, JoeH said:

My ratings:

Fisher - 4

Lenihan - 6
Wharton - 6
Bell - 3

Travis - 5
Johnson - 5
Holtby - 7

Chapman - 5
Armstrong - 6
Brereton - 6

Subs:
Rothwell - 4
Dolan - 7

Didn't get to see the game but was Fisher that bad?

Thought BB had a good game, put himself about and tried to make things happen. Was always willing to beat his man and he rolled his fullback a number of times especially in the 2nd half. Shocking miss tho.

Chapman offered very little, meanwhile Dolan was very lively. He looks so Lightweight but uses his body so well with his low centre of gravity. Actually feel like he should be starting against Bournemouth.

Their first goal was never a pen and there second was down to shocking errors from bell and fisher. In general though the defence wasn’t good enough. I hope that only Lenihan is in that starting backline at the beginning of the league season. 

happy to get the win.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Well a win's a win. Pretty much confirmed what we already knew though.

Johnson can't play the sitting role. 

Bell. Just no

Centrebacks not convincing or keeper.

Chapman done here.

JRC/Dolan very good.

Brereton improving. 

Armstrong not great centrally. 

Rothwell loses the ball all the time.

I swear I watch different games to people. 

JRC just isn't a FB - his defending at that position is atrocious. He needs to be making the AMR berth his own with Dolan. 

Rothwell was fantastic today - I don't understand what people want from a CM. Nobody else in our team makes that pass through to Armstrong (for the Brereton miss). 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dolly blue said:

He didn't look like a Championship player at this time last year.

If Newcastle have offered £10m for him, I'll drive him up there myself. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Holding on for rovers.  Barnsley have put two bids in but he doesn't see that as much of an improvement on Donny  Goalie, left back then Whiteman. Plus, the money isn't haigh enough for Donny, Sheff Utd have a sell on clause

I'd advise your mate to not wait - don't think we have enough money for him. 

Edited by Exiled_Rover

4 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I swear I watch different games to people. 

JRC just isn't a FB - his defending at that position is atrocious. He needs to be making the AMR berth his own with Dolan. 

Rothwell was fantastic today - I don't understand what people want from a CM. Nobody else in our team makes that pass through to Armstrong (for the Brereton miss). 

I half agree with you, I thought JRC was terrible and consistently AWOL (has Mowray played him in every position bar his favoured one?) but I also thought Rothwell was extremely disappointing when he came on today and I'm a fan of his.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Holding on for rovers.  Barnsley have put two bids in but he doesn't see that as much of an improvement on Donny  Goalie, left back then Whiteman. Plus, the money isn't haigh enough for Donny, Sheff Utd have a sell on clause

He's likely to be disappointed ........ my mates son says Doncaster want £3m for him.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CD_93 said:

Starts at the top.

Mowbray rooted to his chair all game - again.

Couldn’t agree more! Mowbray would not inspire me in any way , shape or form. Armstrong looked like his son today ....miserable, not involved, can’t be arsed ...don’t think either man is over bright ...but they get well paid to do a job for this club . ....and, if they’re miserable....how the bloody hell do they think we feel !

• Like 4