BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Doncaster Rovers (H) CARABAO CUP RND1 - Sat 29th Aug

2 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

How do you know that he's holding out for Rovers, when it's been stated that Rovers will not spend seven figures on one player in this window?

So, when Mowbray told him, Goalie, left back, then you, did he think it would be peanuts that he would need to give Donny? Don't talk rubbish. The money is there for the right player, jesus we paid 12m last season for a pile of shit,you think we won't spend a couple of million on quality for the  next 5 years at least?

24 minutes ago, TruRover said:

I hope that only Lenihan is in that starting backline at the beginning of the league season.

Based on today only Wharton looked remotely near Championship standard. Thought Lenihan was very poor but also thought the midfield piled pressure on the defence by being non existent between Holtby going off and Dolan coming on.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, unleaded said:

Why give Bell that contract ... another pitfall contract extension from our manager.... he’s not going to improve .. even as a back up he’s not reliable....

Bell was so bad today I nearly wanted him to be subbed for Benmett! 

• Like 5

I quite enjoyed the game especially second half, we certainly made hard work of what should have been a routine afternoon. Very few players enhanced their credentials to be part of the the first 11. The football we played until we went behind was far too safe, side ways and backwards passing, a lack of chances created and too few players getting into the box.

Fisher 6.5- His distribution was better than his previous outings, made a couple routine saves. Perhaps could have done better for the second goal although he may have been unsighted by Leninan and it may have also taken a deflection of him.

JRC 6- Out of position too often defensively and didn't offer a huge amount going forward. I still think it is imperative that we sign another right back as we have no reliable back up option to Nyambe.

Lenihan 5.5- All of the place second half both defensively and on the ball.

Wharton 7.5- One of the few players to emerge with credit and to enhance his credentials. Comfortable on the ball, good in the air and solid defensively. Also a lovely bit of play to start the attack for the equaliser.

Bell 3- Shocking.

Travis & Johnson 5.5- Disappointing performances from both. Failed to get to grips with Doncaster in the second half and offer no spark going the other way except for slowing play down.

Holtby 7 - Nice goal and one of a few players who looked to pass forwards. Personally I would like to see him playing further forward.

Chapman 5.5- Looks like he has enjoyed his lockdown a bit too much. He's a shadow of the player he was a few years ago much like Rothwell he just tried to keep things safe rather than take some risks to make something happen.

Brereton 6.5- The role on the left is not a role that will make him look a £7 Million player but this was one of his better efforts. He seemed to really spark into like after we went behind but then when his big moment came he inexcusably missed the target.

Armstrong 7-  A decent performance but needs the ball into him quicker all this backwards and sideways passing doesn't help him. 

Rothwell 5.5- A very Rothwell type performances. A lack of end product and gave the ball away a few times. Also like Chapman he seems to have lost that desire to run at people and instead just played it safe to often.

Dolan 7- Very bright, wanted the ball and to run at the opposition. Also unlike say someone what like Buckley he isn't easily pushed of he ball. He is the sort of player who has that spark that gets you on the edge of your seat when he gets the ball much like Chapman and Rothwell did when they first signed, lets hope Mowbray doesn't coach it out of him as well. His delivery is also good.

• Like 2

Another good review of Dolan...looks very promising this lad.I have seen nothing of Bell to suggest he can make any impact at this level,Div 1 standard at best.Holtby has legs made of Rice Paper.

Defence still a worry and needs immediate attention.

So far,so good in a fine darker shade of Blue!:brfc:

Edited by A Northern Horde...
  • Like 2

Armstrong isn’t what everyone makes out. Way overrated imo. Lad scores wonder goals and has pace. He has always had a lazy spell in him. A lot of games last season and especially the season before where he didn’t look interested. This 10million price tag on his head is laughable. 

Just cause he didn’t look interested today doesn’t mean something up. Watch him closely and it’s pretty normal for him. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I swear I watch different games to people. 

JRC just isn't a FB - his defending at that position is atrocious. He needs to be making the AMR berth his own with Dolan. 

Rothwell was fantastic today - I don't understand what people want from a CM. Nobody else in our team makes that pass through to Armstrong (for the Brereton miss). 

JRC did well getting forward - agree not great defensively. 

Rothwell over cooks it virtually every time.  One good pass, no goals - no assists. - even Bell got an assist!  

6 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

JRC did well getting forward - agree not great defensively. 

Rothwell over cooks it virtually every time.  One good pass, no goals - no assists. - even Bell got an assist!  

Rothwell makes things happen and terrifies the opposition when he carries the ball from midfield.

For a team lacking in creativity, how he's never been given a run of games at CM to see if he can make it happen consistently is beyond me.

It was also more than one good pass - that's just the one I chose to highlight. 

• Like 3

Both full backs did well going forward but were poor defensively. Sound like a broken record, but we expect a lot from them. We basically play wing backs with a back 4 and the midfielders don’t drop in readily enough. Hopefully we get these new defenders in quickly and we can start trying to build a solid foundation. Horror show at the back at times today.

Brereton did alright, but it looks like he wants to pick the ball up deep and drive at players. He did this reasonably well and had a bit of joy, but we have at least 4 players who do this better than him. For a forward his positioning is incredibly poor, can’t ever see him getting a decent goal return. Nothing more needs saying about the open goal. It’s so typical it’s stopped becoming worth talking about.

One attack, Bell got forward really well and got beyond all the front three. He put in a shite cross that flew straight out of play, but the thing that really stood out to me here was that Armstrong, Brereton and Chapman were all hanging back at the left hand corner of the box within about 5 feet of each other. Nobody in the middle, nobody attacking the far post apart from a deep (too late) run from Rankin-Costello... our right back. The attack needs a focal point.

Travis and Armstrong were quiet. Johnson and Chapman anonymous. I’d make Rothwell play two touch every day in training for a while, he always wants to play it first time or has to take at least 27 touches. 

For me the brightest spark of the game was Dolan. What a player he looks. Seems to have a tremendous attitude, reads the game so naturally. He might be short, but he’s not physically lacking... blown Chapman out of the water. I’d like to see him blooded straight away, starting games. Nyambe, JRC and Dolan down that right hand side would terrify opponents.

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Holding on for rovers.  Barnsley have put two bids in but he doesn't see that as much of an improvement on Donny  Goalie, left back then Whiteman. Plus, the money isn't haigh enough for Donny, Sheff Utd have a sell on clause

You don't mention a CB but it seems pretty clear CB is next on the agenda, and getting two has been mentioned.

Decent first-half but went to pieces when Holtby went off.  Started the second-half poorly and paid the price.  Pleased with the recovery to win the match - in Cup games that's all the matters.

I was impressed with Dolan again - the difference between him and Chapman is chalk and cheese - and really can't see much future for Chapman here.  Once again, I thought Rothwell flattered to deceive.  He has the ability but very rarely delivers an end product.  A squad player but not a regular starter for me.

We are desperate for a left-back.  Bell simply can't defend and going forward he rarely gets a decent cross in.  Again, OK for a back-up option but not as a starter.

A decent left-back and experienced centre-back should be our main priorities at this point.  I think we are well covered in midfield with Johnson, Travis, Evans, Holtby, Buckley, Davenport.

I must admit that I liked the new home strip.  

Fisher 6.  Missed opportunity with a sloppy 2nd goal that slipped through.

JRC 7. Looked lively, keen to venture, growing in statue. Will deserve a run further up the field.

Lenihan 6. Okay, nothing more.

Wharton 8. Solid, grabbed his chance by the scruff of the neck. He has racked up games and crucially winning games on loan and it showed. Good distribution.

Bell 4. Oh my...

Travis 6.5. Battled away, better than the friendlies.

Johnson 6. Okay, but are the legs going / gone?

Holtby 7. Cracking goal, and nice touches - we lost our way without him for a while.

Chapman 4.5. Another missed opportunity, game passed him by.

Brereton 7. Pressed, harried and chased. Missed a sitter, but goals will come with performances like that.

Armstrong 7. Like Bereton, good performance.

Rothwell 5.  I am a fan, but another to miss an opportunity to stake a claim to start. Will be frustrated as had plenty of touches.

Dolan 8. Great, exciting cameo. Deserves a chance to start, set to entertain.

A good match, with a deserved win.  Doncaster battled hard, so will have been a helpful run out ahead of the league start. 

Credit to @Ewood Ace - I copied & pasted your review and added my scores / summary ??

Edited by JPTSwindon
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Rothwell makes things happen and terrifies the opposition when he carries the ball from midfield.

For a team lacking in creativity, how he's never been given a run of games at CM to see if he can make it happen consistently is beyond me.

It was also more than one good pass - that's just the one I chose to highlight. 

He's had opportunities and disappointed more often than not. He's been playing league one opposition and their number 9 caused us more problems second half than Rothwell did them. 

32 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Decent first-half but went to pieces when Holtby went off.  Started the second-half poorly and paid the price.  Pleased with the recovery to win the match - in Cup games that's all the matters.

I was impressed with Dolan again - the difference between him and Chapman is chalk and cheese - and really can't see much future for Chapman here.  Once again, I thought Rothwell flattered to deceive.  He has the ability but very rarely delivers an end product.  A squad player but not a regular starter for me.

We are desperate for a left-back.  Bell simply can't defend and going forward he rarely gets a decent cross in.  Again, OK for a back-up option but not as a starter.

A decent left-back and experienced centre-back should be our main priorities at this point.  I think we are well covered in midfield with Johnson, Travis, Evans, Holtby, Buckley, Davenport.

I must admit that I liked the new home strip.  

Again selective memory when it comes to Rothwell. His through ball to Armstrong in the build up to Breretons open goal miss was great. He also played a lovely driven pass opening up the game to the right winger.

I'd like to see him have a run on the left of the midfield 3. I think our issue may be who plays in the centre of the 3.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Armstrong isn’t what everyone makes out. Way overrated imo. Lad scores wonder goals and has pace. He has always had a lazy spell in him. A lot of games last season and especially the season before where he didn’t look interested. This 10million price tag on his head is laughable. 

Just cause he didn’t look interested today doesn’t mean something up. Watch him closely and it’s pretty normal for him. 

Madness. He's always a threat and scores consistently. Sometimes he has a weaker game but always first on the team sheet.

3 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Again selective memory when it comes to Rothwell. His through ball to Armstrong in the build up to Breretons open goal miss was great. He also played a lovely driven pass opening up the game to the right winger.

I'd like to see him have a run on the left of the midfield 3. I think our issue may be who plays in the centre of the 3.

I agree with this. One thing from today was I thought we would have been better if Holtby had played deeper and Johnson on the left. I would also look to drop Johnson altogether and bring Evans or Davenport in.