BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thomas Kaminski

Early days yet obviously, but I'm liking what I see. His distribution is exceptional and definitely gives us an extra body when playing out from the back. As others have said, a number of his passes through to midfield, avoiding the press, were very Tosin-esque.

He does seem a little unorthodox, but hey, as long as he keeps it out of the onion bag, who cares!

I actually think he's a bit more astute than we're giving him credit for. The one that hit his chest from Rooney's free kick was, imo, very good positioning. It was one of those where you don't know if someone will get a touch or it'll just curl into the bottom corner, so he actually positioned himself to give himself the best chance to cover either. No-one got a touch, so it hit his chest. If there was a touch, he was poised to go to his right to make the save.

Again, the header from their left back towards the end (Buchannan was it? who incidentally shouldn't have been on the pitch after his lunge at Dolan), watch the replay from the camera facing the goal, his eyes are fixed on the attacker the moment he knows it's going over the defender's head and his positioning was bang on.

As I said, early days, but quietly impressed at the moment.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Roverthechimp said:

For me it is fine if a keeper is a "puncher" and uses it effectively and consistantly. Better a solid hand on it than half assed attempt at catching intermixed with punching which leaves defenders unsure and causes avoidable errors

If he isn't good at catching then yes it's understandable if he punches. It's not ideal though. Ideal is a keeper who can and does catch effectively. Punching the ball frequently will eventually lead to trouble.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

And Johnson very often tucks into the defence as a centre-back in possession, acting as the Tosin through the middle anyway.

Johnson is poor at taking the ball on the half turn from the defence, last season he was always good for losing the ball at least once a game. The tactics at the moment seem to not expect him to do that which is ideal.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Johnson is poor at taking the ball on the half turn from the defence, last season he was always good for losing the ball at least once a game. The tactics at the moment seem to not expect him to do that which is ideal.

Could, but won't because it's too much like hard work, put together a lengthy video of many clips of him doing this over the last three games. Video evidence says he's doing it.

10 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Could, but won't because it's too much like hard work, put together a lengthy video of many clips of him doing this over the last three games. Video evidence says he's doing it.

I know without the use of videos that Johnson was and is a liability at taking the ball on the half turn. The amount of times he played us into trouble last year doing so was plenty.

The higher press/different tactics coupled with his seemingly improved fitness seems to suit him, and he also seems to be getting forward more, hence the goals.

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I know without the use of videos that Johnson was and is a liability at taking the ball on the half turn. The amount of times he played us into trouble last year doing so was plenty.

The higher press/different tactics coupled with his seemingly improved fitness seems to suit him, and he also seems to be getting forward more, hence the goals.

You said he hasn't done it this year.. he has, a lot.

4 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

Early days yet obviously, but I'm liking what I see. His distribution is exceptional and definitely gives us an extra body when playing out from the back. As others have said, a number of his passes through to midfield, avoiding the press, were very Tosin-esque.

He does seem a little unorthodox, but hey, as long as he keeps it out of the onion bag, who cares!

I actually think he's a bit more astute than we're giving him credit for. The one that hit his chest from Rooney's free kick was, imo, very good positioning. It was one of those where you don't know if someone will get a touch or it'll just curl into the bottom corner, so he actually positioned himself to give himself the best chance to cover either. No-one got a touch, so it hit his chest. If there was a touch, he was poised to go to his right to make the save.

Again, the header from their left back towards the end (Buchannan was it? who incidentally shouldn't have been on the pitch after his lunge at Dolan), watch the replay from the camera facing the goal, his eyes are fixed on the attacker the moment he knows it's going over the defender's head and his positioning was bang on.

As I said, early days, but quietly impressed at the moment.

Walton was sooooo slow with his distribution, it was infuriating.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Trinidad Rover said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2020/october/kaminski-earns-belgium-call-up/

What a signing this is proving to be - his resale value now vs the peanuts we paid for him???

More importantly, he’s also a very decent keeper who can get better.

Nice one.

Exactly. 

Its seems to be getting better with every game and he is looking like a bargain signings after 5 games 

8 minutes ago, briansol said:

In fairness Belgium has a world-class keeper in Courtois, and Mignolet is quite good as well. Being number 3 behind them is not so bad.

To be fair, he isnt number 3. Seems like he is also behind someone called Roef who also dislodged him at Gent, and Casteels who dropped out injured who is at Wolfsburg.

• Backroom
On 09/10/2020 at 16:11, Trinidad Rover said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2020/october/kaminski-earns-belgium-call-up/

What a signing this is proving to be - his resale value now vs the peanuts we paid for him???

More importantly, he’s also a very decent keeper who can get better.

Nice one.

He seems the real deal but his current resale value won’t be much higher than what we paid for him, he’s only played a few games and got a call up which he’s had before.

Genuinely have very high hopes for him, the behind closed doors format I imagine has been a blessing for a new keeper coming from abroad.

Glad we’ve brought in the other lad as well to keep him on his toes

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

How big is this guy for us and how much extra must his resale value be already. Absolutely central to how we play and the stability of the defence.

Its just a shame he's not had chance to form an understanding with Ayala and a.n other but theres certainly signs of a solid keeper there.

Reckon hes loads better than Raya already.... He exudes confidence, commands his box better, plays as a defender better, doesn't seem to have the mistakes in him like Raya has (though Ghent fans seem to think he does so maybe we have been lucky?). Similar sort of quality of distribution.

Maybe not so good at shot stopping though. But outweighed by the above imo.

Looks our best signing since Dack or Armstrong.

• Like 1

He may be good at controlling the ball, distributing the ball reasonably well and playing as a kind of sweeper. For me, the jury is still out in terms of whether he's any good as a goalkeeper in the true sense of the word too.

He always punches when he should catch and seems slow to get down to low shots. His reflex saves seem ok in terms of tips over the bar.

I do think that the general standard of goalkeeping has gone down hill over the years. Once of a day the likes of Pickford wouldn't be considered for England and we used to have a laugh at the standard of foreign goalkeepers. I feel the general standard has diminished and for people of a particular age, such as myself, find it difficult to accept that the modern breed are any good at all. The fact he's better than all our recent number ones, is no particular great achievement.

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 2