BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thomas Kaminski

From a purely goalkeeping ability point of view, I've still not got that full gauge yet, few decent saves so far, while soft has to be blamed for the pen today after what was a decent stop prior to that.

All that said he's instrumental to the way we play. He allows us to play the pressing game and offers a calmness that i didn't feel from Pears in net the last few games. It's hard to explain why I like him so much and why he makes me feel relaxed. So far been a good signing and should be our number 1 for years to come.

• Like 2

There was one shot from QPR through a crowded penalty area when the ball could have ricocheted anywhere. TK stayed squatted one position and caught it. I was amazed because a lot of keepers tend to move all over the place according to where they think the ball is going to finish up. This isn't the first time I have noticed this about TK. He instills confidence in me, let alone his defence.

• Like 2

Having Kaminski back was a big reason for the win. You could clearly see how much more confident the defence was with him behind him. He's very vocal and Wharton described it has having comfort blanket with him there.

Looks a steal so far. I think it was around 500k for a keeper with quality, the right age, experience and good cultural fit. Also telling that he is part of the Belgium national team that has been ranked number 1 in the world the last couple of years.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

He's been solid so far,it makes you wonder what he did wrong at Gent to lose his place there before we signed him.

I said this yesterday - they said he was capable of huge errors when under pressure... doesn’t feel like the same person? 

A bargain!

Half a million for a top quality goalkeeper, with top European experience. You can tell with his communication he has played at a high level. You don't get away with being quiet in front of top defenders. If he's training with the Belgian squad he'll be looking at the likes of Curtois and seeing how elite goalkeepers act and behave.

Thought he was unlucky for the penalty but was a great save in the first instance. 

• Like 3

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

A bargain!

Half a million for a top quality goalkeeper, with top European experience. You can tell with his communication he has played at a high level. You don't get away with being quiet in front of top defenders. If he's training with the Belgian squad he'll be looking at the likes of Curtois and seeing how elite goalkeepers act and behave.

Thought he was unlucky for the penalty but was a great save in the first instance. 

If he doesn't follow up with the ball gettable, Kaminski would get rightly criticised. The QPR player was cute in how he positioned his body and most times the officials won't see it as a foul in the resulting melee. 

9 hours ago, J*B said:

I said this yesterday - they said he was capable of huge errors when under pressure... doesn’t feel like the same person? 

All goalkeepers make errors. When TK does we mustn't get on his back.

• Like 2

On 07/11/2020 at 14:25, darrenrover said:

He may be good at controlling the ball, distributing the ball reasonably well and playing as a kind of sweeper. For me, the jury is still out in terms of whether he's any good as a goalkeeper in the true sense of the word too.

He always punches when he should catch and seems slow to get down to low shots. His reflex saves seem ok in terms of tips over the bar.

I do think that the general standard of goalkeeping has gone down hill over the years. Once of a day the likes of Pickford wouldn't be considered for England and we used to have a laugh at the standard of foreign goalkeepers. I feel the general standard has diminished and for people of a particular age, such as myself, find it difficult to accept that the modern breed are any good at all. The fact he's better than all our recent number ones, is no particular great achievement.

Keeper has a split second to decide if there is too much danger to catch.  A bump unseen by the ref causing a dropped ball could be fatal.  His ounches typically are good ones.

7 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Early days I suppose.

Though Friedel had a reputation as an error prone keeper before he came to Ewood....

That's mind-boggling to even consider. I knew he wasn't rated enough at Liverpool of course, but error-prone? I've never seen a less error-prone keeper in my life, the absolute model of consistency.

And if I remember rightly they offloaded him because they had Calamity James to rely on? Madness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

That's mind-boggling to even consider. I knew he wasn't rated enough at Liverpool of course, but error-prone? I've never seen a less error-prone keeper in my life, the absolute model of consistency.

And if I remember rightly they offloaded him because they had Calamity James to rely on? Madness.

It is true.

A lot of us were nervous about Brad when he signed. Clearly a significant upgrade but Brad had had a few horror shows in his Anfield days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, philipl said:

It is true.

A lot of us were nervous about Brad when he signed. Clearly a significant upgrade but Brad had had a few horror shows in his Anfield days.

I was absolutely stumped we were signing him, but that was because I didn't see why we needed Liverpool's reserve keeper when we had Filan playing well and a competent backup.

Never been more wrong.

Just now, bluebruce said:

I was absolutely stumped we were signing him, but that was because I didn't see why we needed Liverpool's reserve keeper when we had Filan playing well and a competent backup.

Never been more wrong.

I remember thinking exactly the same. Filan and Kelly were both very good keepers. Signing Friedel seemed like absolute madness. One of the best signings we ever made.

I do also remember being gutted that we weren't signing Berkovic permanently and went for Tugay instead.

Souness obviously a more canny spotter of a player than myself. (I'll forget about Grabbi).

• Like 2

18 hours ago, bazza said:

All goalkeepers make errors. When TK does we mustn't get on his back.

TK dodged a bullet missing the Reading and Swansea games with half the First eleven out ..lets face it the actual goals conceded were not really down to Pears .

TK may have been getting a bit of abuse by a few on here !

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, HowieFive0 said:

TK dodged a bullet missing the Reading and Swansea games with half the First eleven out ..lets face it the actual goals conceded were not really down to Pears .

TK may have been getting a bit of abuse by a few on here !

Alternatively, his inclusion may have helped the defence's confidence, particularly his secondary role as the 3rd cb.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Never been more wrong.

17 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I remember thinking exactly the same. Filan and Kelly were both very good keepers. Signing Friedel seemed like absolute madness. One of the best signings we ever made.

I do also remember being gutted that we weren't signing Berkovic permanently and went for Tugay instead.

Souness obviously a more canny spotter of a player than myself. (I'll forget about Grabbi).

Mirrors my thoughts too. Add in the legacy of Flowers as well and Friedel was up against it when he came. Fair to say I became a big fan. Best Rovers keeper ever. 

As for our current crop of keepers. TK does well in part simply by coming after Walton. That said, even with that benefit I actually think he is good. It doesn't help that Pears doesn't look convincing - and after Walton also looking none too convincing, that's going to make the defence exceptionally edgy. However, at least the number 1 position is sorted. Hopefully the Greek lad can develop and make the number 2 spot his own too (or Pears improves.)  

• Like 2