BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Let's Talk Tyrhys Dolan

A video package here of Dolan's best bits from the last game against Doncaster. He had another great half, as he did against Blackpool and Fleetwood Town. Scarily, Mowbray played down his performance and claimed that Sam Gallagher would've come on ahead of Dolan if he had have been fit, and Dolan would've been down in Leeds with the Under 23's! Hopefully now TM can see the talent that they've acquired in Dolan. 

21 minutes ago, JoeH said:

A video package here of Dolan's best bits from the last game against Doncaster. He had another great half, as he did against Blackpool and Fleetwood Town. Scarily, Mowbray played down his performance and claimed that Sam Gallagher would've come on ahead of Dolan if he had have been fit, and Dolan would've been down in Leeds with the Under 23's! Hopefully now TM can see the talent that they've acquired in Dolan. 

He is very impressive and I would expect him and around the 1st team squad all season, If he played well and for the under 23's he will be the 1st team match day squad much more than not. Good attitude, good positional sense and full of energy already. Seems to know when to close down and when to press higher. Lets hope this attitude and performance continue. 

I think Mowbray and his staff can see the talent in Dolan already. Its was the recruitment department who suggested signing him as Mowbray only seen in one game. Mowbray backed his recruitment staff. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

He's the kind of player I'd expect to be on the bench all season, but constantly available for the u23s.

If he's worth it, we'll see him in cup games and end of season dead rubbers imo.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Exciting and very direct, but he is very much a raw kid who hasnt played a minute of League football. Would like to seen him in and around the first team but am not expecting anything too much yet and am wary that we lack senior options across that front line.

Agreed. Love him as an impact sub, put we should be careful to not put too much expectations on him. Now he is playing without pressure and everything is a bonus. Too many young players have struggled badly with coping. Thinking of Danni Cadamatri, Francis Jeffers, our own Jay McEvely etc.

Some pointed out that he gives you the "Duff" feeling when watching, which agree on. Credit to the recruitment team for bringing him in. Think he was going to Carlisle before Rovers came.

There is a lack of leaders in the team.With Graham, Mulgrew, Downing out of the picture, there is seems to be few "men" left in the building. 

• Like 2

mowbray does`nt go by the old adage"if you`re good enough,you`re old enough" to me he looks just what we need,someone who is a bit different,at the moment he`d be great to bring on after the hour when defenders are tiring,unfortunately chances are when the season starts we will never see him again,looks flighty  as well which is complete anathema to tony

• Like 2

1 minute ago, briansol said:

Agreed. Love him as an impact sub, put we should be careful to not put too much expectations on him. Now he is playing without pressure and everything is a bonus. Too many young players have struggled badly with coping. Thinking of Danni Cadamatri, Francis Jeffers, our own Jay McEvely etc.

Some pointed out that he gives you the "Duff" feeling when watching, which agree on. Credit to the recruitment team for bringing him in. Think he was going to Carlisle before Rovers came.

There is a lack of leaders in the team.With Graham, Mulgrew, Downing out of the picture, there is seems to be few "men" left in the building. 

Agreed. My worry is an over reliance and as a result dependence on kids stepping up for whom we have no proof that they are ready.

Some of the younger players, obviously Nyambe, Travis etc, they are key players. Then we have a few, Rankin Costello, Davenport, maybe Buckley and Wharton who have senior experience and can justifiably be considered as first team players. But we dont have enough senior players across the team. Lenihan at a push defensively. Evans, Johnson and Holtby in midfield. Theres not much though.

You look across the front 3 positions, we have Dack (currently injured and perhaps not best suited to playing there anyway) we have Armstrong and then Brereton and Gallagher for whom we can count but the jury is out. Beyond that, we have no real senior options. It was the correct decision to let Graham and Samuel go but, especially now we play 3 across the front line, we need at least one more "ready made" option as a minimum, natural out wide right ideally, who can come in and feature immediately. With the first league game 2 weeks away, we have Armstrong, Brereton and Gallagher as senior players for 3 positions and then just kids. Dolan is exciting but the fact that a player who has never kicked a ball in senior football is possibly right up there in terms of the first team picture says as much about our threadbare squad.

The likes of Dolan, Vale, Butterworth etc might well be very well thought on and (assuming some dont go out on loan which may be beneficial) then of course they should be given chances as and when possible. But we have no idea if they are ready yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

There’s absolutely no need to be cautious with him, we aren’t throwing him out to operate on a child, get him in the squad and throw him on as an unknown quantity.

He’s got the potential let’s harness it rather than wasting a couple of seasons 

I get that to an extent but we could do with a senior option ahead of him to place less of a burden and reliance on him because we havent got a clue if hes ready to be productive for a Championship side with ambitions of being towards the top end of the league.

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

Those comments are exactly what I’m worried about! He cannot be dropped from the first team set up as soon as Gallagher and Dack are fit. We need a spark.

• Like 2

i really struggle to understand the mowbray idea of management,he wants a team of grafters but builds a squad of players exactly the opposite,rothwell,chapman,brereton,jrc,armstrong,holtby all likely to get overpowered in a battle as we did countless times last season,he`s struggling to get the best out of them because he can`t manage individuals and he`s got to many of them imo

• Like 2

This season presents an absolutely unique opportunity to blood young players. Probably the only benefit to playing in empty grounds is the fact players like Dolan can be introduced without getting overawed. Manage him effectively, and I’m not just talking Mowbray here, the senior players, coaches, his parents and all support staff play a part. Make sure he stays grounded, if he has a rough patch keep him off social media, be careful with him, but get him playing. The lad looks the real deal.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Tom said:

There’s absolutely no need to be cautious with him, we aren’t throwing him out to operate on a child, get him in the squad and throw him on as an unknown quantity.

Amen to that Tom.

If he's good enough he's old enough . What does it matter the standard of the opposition he's been up against thus far, he still looked the pick of the players on Saturday! 

Sod bringing him on as an impact player as well. Give him a start and see how he does. If he doesn't cut it, give someone else the chance.

It isn't difficult but no doubt Mowbray will try to make it so by playing an older player completely out of position who looks as comfortable as a fish on a bike.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Totally agree but its not the way Tony operates.

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Amen to that Tom.

If he's good enough he's old enough . What does it matter the standard of the opposition he's been up against thus far, he still looked the pick of the players on Saturday! 

Sod bringing him on as an impact player as well. Give him a start and see how he does. If he doesn't cut it, give someone else the chance.

It isn't difficult but no doubt Mowbray will try to make it so by playing an older player completely out of position who looks as comfortable as a fish on a bike.

I’m just trying to work out what the Mowbray supporters will come up with when Dolan is barely used.

I’m with Tom, although I think harness is the wrong word - literally speaking - we need to be putting some faith in his obvious abilities. Looks like an out and out winger to me. Quick, tricky, eye for a cross. I think someone mentioned Sterling as a comparison. If he can get a few goals then I could buy into that. It would have to be at the expense of Armstrong though.

Early days of course but the ingredients look to be there. The worry is that he will have it coached out of him.

14 hours ago, Stuart said:

Those comments are exactly what I’m worried about! He cannot be dropped from the first team set up as soon as Gallagher and Dack are fit. We need a spark.

Agreed drop Bennett or and Williams from the sqaud! 

I know some will say we will lack cover if we get an injury but JRC can switch to pretty much anywhere on the park. On the rare occasion we do have an injury we could have Travis and Johnson do a job to see out a game. 

Not ideal I know but can they do mucy worse than Bennett and Del?

• Like 2

• Backroom

If nothing else (and this isn’t my thinking just another viewpoint) the club should look at the likes of Bellingham, half a good season at a young age and you could make silly money.

The worst that happens is he plays and isn’t that effective, never stops us playing Gallagher out wide!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

How long until Mowbray tries to coach that exciting side out of his game? He's done it to Chapman and Rothwell already and I see that Holtby is the next target. https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2020/august/holtby-encouraged-to-combine-skill-with-hard-work/

Ffs, Holtby already needs bringing off after about the 60 minute mark as it is. I've not noticed him being a slacker but if he isn't working as hard as TM would like it could be because he's trying to be impactful with the fitness he does have until it improves.

Obviously this raises questions as to whether you want him on the pitch in the first place if he only lasts 60 mins and doesn't give you the work rate you want...but he signed the guy.

• Like 2