BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Let's Talk Tyrhys Dolan

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Kind of agree, but he lost the ball and the defender kicked it off his knee...he got lucky because he turned into trouble.  Just saying.

Great lad though.  I know a lot of people that have known the lad since he was very young and a nice level headed young man

I thought he was about to regain the ball when he saw Dack was in a better position. He stood back and let Dack smash it.

Surely no argument that Dolan made that goal from nothing with tremendous skill?

I think he's the most exciting prospect at this age I've seen at Rovers since Jones, though I'm not yet predicting the same future for him------yet!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

At the moment Dolan has too many touches of the ball, so often runs into trouble. He needs to have fewer touches and look up more when he's running with it. 

Theres definitely something in that, hes often prone to excessive step overs when they arent needed too. The key to his development may be chanelling his raw flair and skill to use it more usefully which I hope will come in time. 

53 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

At the moment Dolan has too many touches of the ball, so often runs into trouble. He needs to have fewer touches and look up more when he's running with it. 

It’s a complete different proposition to our other lads in terms of skill and pace.

Agree he has lots to learn but I think he is more than ready for more substitute appearances against tired legs, our wide or up top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

That can be learned, having the skill in the first place cannot.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 47er said:

I thought he was about to regain the ball when he saw Dack was in a better position. He stood back and let Dack smash it.

Surely no argument that Dolan made that goal from nothing with tremendous skill?

I think he's the most exciting prospect at this age I've seen at Rovers since Jones, though I'm not yet predicting the same future for him------yet!

I'm certainly not having a go at him...he's a good little player.  Just think his "assist" was blown out of proportion a bit....he lost the ball and should have turned out earlier really.  I suppose you make your own luck if you try things.

19 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'm certainly not having a go at him...he's a good little player.  Just think his "assist" was blown out of proportion a bit....he lost the ball and should have turned out earlier really.  I suppose you make your own luck if you try things.

He had dribbled past 3 players though----almost a lost art!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Perhaps he should have turned around and given it to a defender, who could have then have given it to the keeper, to then give it back to a defender nearer our goal ?

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, 47er said:

He had dribbled past 3 players though----almost a lost art!

No he didnt.  He didn't go past one player...turned into traffic with his head down and the defender kicked the ball against his shin and it broke to Dack.  I'm al for giving dues but he got lucky.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

No he didnt.  He didn't go past one player...turned into traffic with his head down and the defender kicked the ball against his shin and it broke to Dack.  I'm al for giving dues but he got lucky.

In that case I'm off to get some new specs!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I agree with you here. I'd read that Dack had scored after brilliant work from Dolan. It was essentially a lucky break.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rigger said:

That can be learned, having the skill in the first place cannot.

Tom Finney used to tell a story about the best lesson he ever learned as a young player. He was known as very good dribbler but he was a bit greedy. One day the old trainer stood another apprentice 25 yards away and said to Tom " You reckon you're fast running with the ball Tommy, do you reckon you could beat me at getting the ball to Jack over ? I'll bet you five bob you can't ".

Tom said " Yes, you're on ". 

The trainer said " Ready, steady, Go ". and immediately passed the ball to the other lad before Tom had gone three yards.

It was a lesson Tom said he never forgot.

• Like 9

• Moderation Lead
19 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I agree with you here. I'd read that Dack had scored after brilliant work from Dolan. It was essentially a lucky break.

Lovely pass from Rothwell though.

• Like 3

If he was a boxer one would be happy that the kid has terrific handspeed but sadly lacks a knockout punch.  Sums up Dolan, quick feet a million step overs amd fancy footwork but how often do we see him actually beat a man.  The better defenders have him sussed.  That said I love the kid but he needs end product, he's fast and tricky but he seldom does any real damage.

18 hours ago, USABlue said:

If he was a boxer one would be happy that the kid has terrific handspeed but sadly lacks a knockout punch.  Sums up Dolan, quick feet a million step overs amd fancy footwork but how often do we see him actually beat a man.  The better defenders have him sussed.  That said I love the kid but he needs end product, he's fast and tricky but he seldom does any real damage.

I'm not sure how accurate the BBC numbers are:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/blackburn-rovers/top-scorers

But if they are correct, they suggest you're being harsh with your assessment.

3 goals and 2 assists.

0.38 goals every 90 minutes on the pitch - 4th best at the club behind Armstrong, Dack and Davenport.

He's scored with 30% of his shots - best conversion rate at the club.

With 5 goal contributions (assists plus goals) there is only Armstrong, Elliot and Brereton with more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

3 goals and 2 assists.

0.38 goals every 90 minutes on the pitch - 4th best at the club behind Armstrong, Dack and Davenport.

With 5 goal contributions (assists plus goals) there is only Armstrong, Elliot and Brereton with more.

All from 2 games though, right? Games early on when we hammered the opposition.  Since then he appears to have dropped off/been found out by defenders. Mowbray isn't helping the lad though with how he is using him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

3 goals and 2 assists.

Step overs are meaningless if you watch the ball like " an hungry dog watching it's food bowl arriving ". Don't look at the feet concentrate, 110% on what the ball is doing. 

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Step overs are meaningless if you watch the ball like " an hungry dog watching it's food bowl arriving ". Don't look at the feet concentrate, 110% on what the ball is doing. 

I bet he played a fair bit of futsal during his development.   His decision making will improve with age (although I don't trust this lot to develop anyone - nyambe a perfect example of stagnating potential) and once he fills out, he needs to add to his defensive game and being without the ball.  Not a starter for me.

39 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Then take the ball the player and launch them