BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Let's Talk Tyrhys Dolan

I am a great fan of Dolan.

His step overs greatly reduce his forward speed making it much easier for a professional football defender to deal with.

He should be majoring on using his ball control and speed to go down the flanks to stretch the defence and also run at speed direct into penalty area to shoot, pass or be fouled.

Ronaldo was fixated on step overs in his early ManUre days but slowly learnt how to do them mainly when running at high speed.

Dolan does them often almost stationary.

Is one of Dolans assists down to when the ball accidentally bounced of his shin to Dack? after Dolan has basically run into trouble and lost control.

Its not a criticism as it does show the value of getting into the box and as near to goal as possible.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Is one of Dolans assists down to when the ball accidentally bounced of his shin to Dack? after Dolan has basically run into trouble and lost control.

I don't think that is classed as one of his assists.

Whilst I don't think that bit of play was quite the 'outstanding' bit of play that some believe, that goal doesn't happen without Dolan.

33 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I don't think that is classed as one of his assists.

Whilst I don't think that bit of play was quite the 'outstanding' bit of play that some believe, that goal doesn't happen without Dolan.

I like the lad, he tries to do things all the time. He just needs to learn when to stick and when to twist. Like there are things you can do in your opponents half that you can't in your own half. Or like when your full back goes past you outside on an overlap on no account must you now lose the ball.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I am a great fan of Dolan.

His step overs greatly reduce his forward speed making it much easier for a professional football defender to deal with.

He should be majoring on using his ball control and speed to go down the flanks to stretch the defence and also run at speed direct into penalty area to shoot, pass or be fouled.

He has too many touches on the ball and needs to look up while he's running with it. It will come with age and experience but at the moment he's easy to defend against because he hangs on to the ball too long

• Like 2

Let's not forget he's only just 19 and in his first season as a professional. He's definitely got the ability and hopefully the decision making will come with experience. I'd have described Raheem Sterling as a headless chicken when he was younger - he always had the talent, but not so much the end product. 35 goals last season and 31 the season before that suggests he has now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Let's not forget he's only just 19 and in his first season as a professional. He's definitely got the ability and hopefully the decision making will come with experience. I'd have described Raheem Sterling as a headless chicken when he was younger - he always had the talent, but not so much the end product. 35 goals last season and 31 the season before that suggests he has now. 

By the time he was 19 Sterling had played for Liverpool, scored 10 PL goals and won the golden boy award. Surely he wasn't even far off 19 when he made his England senior debut? Dolan isn't anywhere near the same bracket for his age. 

46 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

By the time he was 19 Sterling had played for Liverpool, scored 10 PL goals and won the golden boy award. Surely he wasn't even far off 19 when he made his England senior debut? Dolan isn't anywhere near the same bracket for his age. 

I'm not saying he is in the same bracket - the fact is Sterling has improved immensely between being 19 and now - mainly due to his decision making improving with age. Dolan has the technique, hopefully the decision making will come. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

I'm not saying he is in the same bracket - the fact is Sterling has improved immensely between being 19 and now - mainly due to his decision making improving with age. Dolan has the technique, hopefully the decision making will come. 

And proper coaching.......

• Like 2

I like Dolan a lot but he is deceptive. He is actually slower than he looks. His foot speed lulls you into thinking he is a quick runner but he isn't. He has a good initial burst over the first couple of yards which will stand him in good stead, but he isn't outright fast over twenty or thirty yards like a Rothwell or an Armstrong. I believe that this is why he has developed the step overs as he can't simply push the ball and run. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

I like Dolan a lot but he is deceptive. He is actually slower than he looks. His foot speed lulls you into thinking he is a quick runner but he isn't. He has a good initial burst over the first couple of yards which will stand him in good stead, but he isn't outright fast over twenty or thirty yards like a Rothwell or an Armstrong. I believe that this is why he has developed the step overs as he can't simply push the ball and run. 

Acceleration is more important than Pace, more occasions that you will get to use it.

What he does have is good tight ball control, quick feet and incredible agility. A good skillset to have.

From what i've seen of him his attitude is also bang on so there isn't much to worry about for me. Lads only just 19.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Acceleration is more important than Pace, more occasions that you will get to use it.

What he does have is good tight ball control, quick feet and incredible agility. A good skillset to have.

From what i've seen of him his attitude is also bang on so there isn't much to worry about for me. Lads only just 19.

I agree that real  speed over 10 yards can be critical if you're playing out wide. If it gets you into a crossing or shooting situation it's enough. 

I like the lads attitude. Just what you don't want face as a full back when you've already been playing 70 minutes.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2021 at 05:55, LeftWinger said:

I'm not sure how accurate the BBC numbers are:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/blackburn-rovers/top-scorers

But if they are correct, they suggest you're being harsh with your assessment.

3 goals and 2 assists.

0.38 goals every 90 minutes on the pitch - 4th best at the club behind Armstrong, Dack and Davenport.

He's scored with 30% of his shots - best conversion rate at the club.

With 5 goal contributions (assists plus goals) there is only Armstrong, Elliot and Brereton with more.

Perhaps I am but I am not going iff stats just what I see.  I like the kid, a lot of but watching he gets me all excited, on the edge of my seat but I end up feeling ket down, more often than not.  Mowbray is not his friend.  Bottom line is this, we got a young lad with speed, flair, quick feet and a go for goal mentality for free.  Those attributes can not be coached into a player BUT with the wrong manager/coach can easily get lost, this is my worry.  He needs to make it impossible for Mowbray to keave him out.

27 minutes ago, USABlue said:

He needs to make it impossible for Mowbray to keave him out.

He was playing in the youth cup last season as an U18.  He will be very happy with his own personal progress and starting every game will be way down his list of priorities.   He isn't anywhere near developed physically,  looks like a late developer to me in that respect.  6 mo the ago he was released by the nobbers, let's not over promote him.....he's doing ok and by no means anywhere near a first team starter.

• Backroom
3 hours ago, USABlue said:

Perhaps I am but I am not going iff stats just what I see.  I like the kid, a lot of but watching he gets me all excited, on the edge of my seat but I end up feeling ket down, more often than not.  

tenor.gif?itemid=5552435

On 13/01/2021 at 23:47, Tom said:

Let’s be honest whether you think he’s naive, lacks end product or whatever, nobody would have expected 3 goals, 2 assists (plus a penalty won and a huge hand in Dack’s goal) all by mid January from a kid we picked up presumably on peanuts for the youth set up.

How much did Brereton contribute in his first half season (or 2 full seasons) here, or even Armstrong in his first half season in this league, even Rothwell who always looked a threat took a while to start delivering. Whilst the lad may at times hold it too long and not capitalise on his runs he’s also produced the goods by being in the right place to finish moves.

Let’s not forget he’s also been dealing (admirably) with a tragedy in his personal life.

Delighted he’s a Rovers player and hope he continues to develop.

He contributes more than Gallagher and has a lot more strings to his bow than Gallagher.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2021 at 14:27, Sparks Rover said:

He was playing in the youth cup last season as an U18.  He will be very happy with his own personal progress and starting every game will be way down his list of priorities.   He isn't anywhere near developed physically,  looks like a late developer to me in that respect.  6 mo the ago he was released by the nobbers, let's not over promote him.....he's doing ok and by no means anywhere near a first team starter.

I saw him play for Clitheroe last season

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Potentially controversial opinion.

I think Dolan is a better lone striker than Armstrong - hear me out.

Yesterday Dolan defended from the front closed down everyone gave there defence very little time on the ball. Something I think Arma should be doing but comes across slightly lazy.

Dolan yesterday his hold up play was absolutely fantastic. He allowed our players to catch up with fantastic use of his body and his ball skills, I think this is something that Arma can't really do.

Yes Dolan didn't score but he created lots kept trying, can beat a man with pace of fancy footwork.

Dolan also has a fantastic pass on him shown by his vision to pick out Dack in the first half. 

With Dolan goals will come but the fact we got him on a free he is absolutely fantastic.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Potentially controversial opinion.

I think Dolan is a better lone striker than Armstrong - hear me out.

Yesterday Dolan defended from the front closed down everyone gave there defence very little time on the ball. Something I think Arma should be doing but comes across slightly lazy.

Dolan yesterday his hold up play was absolutely fantastic. He allowed our players to catch up with fantastic use of his body and his ball skills, I think this is something that Arma can't really do.

Yes Dolan didn't score but he created lots kept trying, can beat a man with pace of fancy footwork.

Dolan also has a fantastic pass on him shown by his vision to pick out Dack in the first half. 

With Dolan goals will come but the fact we got him on a free he is absolutely fantastic.

A hell of a statement!

At the end of the day, the primary remit of a striker is to score goals. Armstrong has had 2 major spells in his career as a striker, at Coventry he got 20 goals, and since playing there for us, he has is it 30 since last January? That alone sets him apart. We have no idea how many goals Dolan would get as a striker.

I think it is unfair to suggest that Armstrong is lazy either, regularly I see him either making runs that arent picked out or chasing the goalkeeper. Mowbray had it right describing Dolan as a "whirlwind" and he is 100mph, his energy does set him apart. I think that Armstrong has shown decent link up lately, there have been a few examples, there was the one at Boro leading to a goal, one at PNE leading to the penalty and a few others, to be honest he has been particularly unselfish which in turn especially with a lack of runners in behind him had led to a reduction in attacking threat.

Dolan does have a trick in his locker, that obviously goes either way, sometimes he beats a man, sometimes he over elaborates and sometimes he tricks himself which happened a couple of times yesterday. Hopefully the latter 2 scenarios will reduce as he learns that there is a time and place for tricks over time.

Dolan was a real nuisance yesterday and his enthusiasm is incredible, but lets not make ridiculous conclusions just yet. I would like to see him get plenty of game time with nothing to play for looking forward to next season, but I think that should mainly come from a wide area. The set up yesterday meant that the central striker had Dack in close attendance and there was much more fluidity along that line which should suit him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

A hell of a statement!

At the end of the day, the primary remit of a striker is to score goals. Armstrong has had 2 major spells in his career as a striker, at Coventry he got 20 goals, and since playing there for us, he has is it 30 since last January? That alone sets him apart. We have no idea how many goals Dolan would get as a striker.

I think it is unfair to suggest that Armstrong is lazy either, regularly I see him either making runs that arent picked out or chasing the goalkeeper. Mowbray had it right describing Dolan as a "whirlwind" and he is 100mph, his energy does set him apart. I think that Armstrong has shown decent link up lately, there have been a few examples, there was the one at Boro leading to a goal, one at PNE leading to the penalty and a few others, to be honest he has been particularly unselfish which in turn especially with a lack of runners in behind him had led to a reduction in attacking threat.

Dolan does have a trick in his locker, that obviously goes either way, sometimes he beats a man, sometimes he over elaborates and sometimes he tricks himself which happened a couple of times yesterday. Hopefully the latter 2 scenarios will reduce as he learns that there is a time and place for tricks over time.

Dolan was a real nuisance yesterday and his enthusiasm is incredible, but lets not make ridiculous conclusions just yet. I would like to see him get plenty of game time with nothing to play for looking forward to next season, but I think that should mainly come from a wide area. The set up yesterday meant that the central striker had Dack in close attendance and there was much more fluidity along that line which should suit him.

It's a game of opinions right?

I think Dolan yesterday showed a more complete performance yesterday than I've ever seen Armstrong have regardless of goals.