BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The much loved International Break is upon us . . . So what better time than to start a new England thread . . .especially since it also signifies the start of some kind of new International Carabao Cup . . or something.  . .

See what the heck that is here and only waste 1min 38secs of your life in the process. It's also got it's very own anthem to rival any God of War Playstation game.

I see Southgate was bemoaning the lack of English players in the Premiership the other day. Things look pretty grim for the supposed 'new golden generation'. I suspect most of the kids that played in and won the under-age International tournaments recently will simply fall by the wayside. Case in point, the article states that Ruben Loftus-Cheek has only played 22 competitive minutes for Chelsea since the world cup (and since the article was written - he only played 11 minutes more as a sub vs Bournemouth at home). If you're only getting 11 minutes when you're playing at home against one of the 'weak' teams in the Premiership. . . it doesn't bode well for the future.

Southgate says he'll have to look to The Championship for England players. So as long as the expected Northern Winter kicks in and the BBQ has to go away until June - what chances Bradley Dack making the squad in the not too distant future?

I see sicknote has already pulled out of the squad.  Probably the usual lies by the usual foreign England hating managers. A bad back is a great one to use if you want to skive off work btw as even doctors can't prove or disprove it.

So the revised England squad for the Water buffalo league with a bizarre nondescript friendly thrown into the mix is:

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Alex McCarthy (Southampton)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Harry Maguire (Leicester City) Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), James Tarkowski (Burnley), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea)

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal)

Are you getting excited yet? Or will you simply be spending all your time trolling Twitter and Instagram looking for pictures of Sterling riding a show pony?

Edited by Husky
  • Like 1

To answer the question in the last paragraph, I could not care less. I read 442's article on how it works. Seems enormously complicated and if the intention is to provide competitive games what is there to show nations will take it seriously?

The international break simply gets in the way of watching Rovers.

• Like 4

End of the day international football revolves around a summer tournament every two years - that’s how you are judged at a continental and world level. 

Everyone gets that and it is a key differentiator from the league structures of club football. This Nations League stuff seems like a right complicated mess; part competition in its own right, part qualifiers for the European Championships. 

Doesnt matter anyway as ITV have lost the rights to internationals (not on free to air anywhere) so the vast majority of the country can just ignore it and wait for Euro 2020.

Edited by Mattyblue

Getting a bit desperate for keepers aren't we?

England call up Marcus Bettinelli

I'm surprised that Burnley sack of spuds Hart wasn't recalled.

Also Lallana has withdrawn from the squad. No great loss there, as he's a player that has been decidedly average for some time, and at aged 30 he's not exactly one for the future either. May as well say bye bye for good to that one.

13 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

That anthem!! I wasn't ready for that this morning. I feel ready to battle an orc army at helms deep.

I'm not sure my spreadsheets are going to quite cut it for me today.

I hope you managed to make it through the day without too much bloodshed.

15 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

That anthem!! I wasn't ready for that this morning. I feel ready to battle an orc army at helms deep.

I'm not sure my spreadsheets are going to quite cut it for me today.

I definitely feel like our first game must be in Mordor. I also have images of our defensive mids intercepting the ball whilst shouting 'YOU SHALL NOT PASS!'

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

Chance to call up some of the young guns but reverts back to the old england managers..losing some of that goodwill

As boring as the squad is, most of the squad deserved to be called up again following the World Cup.

Theres no need for 4 keepers, and the likes of Lallana before his injury, Rose, Delph and Welbeck could justify a call up. Even Rashford but for a total absence of strikers, making Vardys situation even more puzzling.

Im not sure who could have been included. There are plenty of calls for the likes of Foden, Lookman and Sancho but none of them are playing much senior football. For all the praise Sancho gets for joining Dortmund, he doesnt play very often, nor will Lookman this season, and Foden needed a loan spell, he will barely kick a ball in anger this at City. Sessegnon could maybe deserve a shout for that left wing back role behind Shaw but hes not a guaranteed starter at Fulham anymore and has had form issues. Maddison and Demarai Gray have impressed in the first few games but im unsure if theyve either done enough to get an England call, or if theyd fit into the formation and way Southgate plays. Mason Mount as a wildcard shout following his form at Vitesse? Lewis Cook would certainly be more deserving than Fabian Delph but again, like Sessegnon, this season hes seemingly fallen out of favour. Ben Chilwell? Maybe. The one who for me hasnt been mentioned but deserved a place is Will Hughes. 

I think the pool is so small. But i wouldnt have called up Bettenelli, Delph, Rose, Lallana, Welbeck. And I would have called up Dunk, Chilwell/Sessegnon, Hughes, Mount and Ive literally no clue on another striker. A choice of Welbeck, Deeney and Wilson shows exactly how weak we are in that area. Danny Ings maybe?!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

As boring as the squad is, most of the squad deserved to be called up again following the World Cup.

Theres no need for 4 keepers, and the likes of Lallana before his injury, Rose, Delph and Welbeck could justify a call up. Even Rashford but for a total absence of strikers, making Vardys situation even more puzzling.

Im not sure who could have been included. There are plenty of calls for the likes of Foden, Lookman and Sancho but none of them are playing much senior football. For all the praise Sancho gets for joining Dortmund, he doesnt play very often, nor will Lookman this season, and Foden needed a loan spell, he will barely kick a ball in anger this at City. Sessegnon could maybe deserve a shout for that left wing back role behind Shaw but hes not a guaranteed starter at Fulham anymore and has had form issues. Maddison and Demarai Gray have impressed in the first few games but im unsure if theyve either done enough to get an England call, or if theyd fit into the formation and way Southgate plays. Mason Mount as a wildcard shout following his form at Vitesse? Lewis Cook would certainly be more deserving than Fabian Delph but again, like Sessegnon, this season hes seemingly fallen out of favour. Ben Chilwell? Maybe. The one who for me hasnt been mentioned but deserved a place is Will Hughes. 

I think the pool is so small. But i wouldnt have called up Bettenelli, Delph, Rose, Lallana, Welbeck. And I would have called up Dunk, Chilwell/Sessegnon, Hughes, Mount and Ive literally no clue on another striker. A choice of Welbeck, Deeney and Wilson shows exactly how weak we are in that area. Danny Ings maybe?!

Fair post. Think Callum Wilson has shown he can score at the top level although he certainly not world class. Danny Rose should still be in the England side IMO, when on form he's a top class left back. Madison and Chilwell are both fair shouts too. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Can't argue with most of that. I wouldn't have chillwell anywhere near an England shirt and I think Delph is very under rated but good post. Will hughes and maddison will hopefully keep on improving and can be looked at by Southgate in a meaningless friendly. Foden, Sancho and lookman desperately need to go and play anywhere they can get regular 90 minutes. 

The squad almost picks itself after the World Cup.

Southgate is right to complain about the chances of England players. I say regularly that promising English youngsters should go abroad to play. It will do them no end of good.

Striker options do look bleak. What about Calvert-Lewin from Everton? He starred for the successful youth teams, and seems to be getting a game this year. He's big, strong ,fast, but I've no idea how well he can finish chances.

Solanke was another who shone at the youth level, however he's way down the pecking order at Liverpool, and all he seems to do is run like a chicken with no head.

I think that Lallana is on borrowed time. Liverpool have a glut of midfielders, when Ox returns he'll be further away from a spot. He's a very tidy player though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

The squad almost picks itself after the World Cup.

Southgate is right to complain about the chances of England players. I say regularly that promising English youngsters should go abroad to play. It will do them no end of good.

Striker options do look bleak. What about Calvert-Lewin from Everton? He starred for the successful youth teams, and seems to be getting a game this year. He's big, strong ,fast, but I've no idea how well he can finish chances.

Solanke was another who shone at the youth level, however he's way down the pecking order at Liverpool, and all he seems to do is run like a chicken with no head.

I think that Lallana is on borrowed time. Liverpool have a glut of midfielders, when Ox returns he'll be further away from a spot. He's a very tidy player though.

Whilst i get that it can makes a refreshing change, im unconvinced that the players who have moved abroad have been the success stories as portrayed in the media.

For all the hype surrounding Sancho and Lookman for example, in particular Sancho, they have failed to start very many games.

Similar with Reece Oxford, his career has stagnated, and wasnt Nathaniel Chalaboh at Napoli in an unsuccessful spell without barely featuring, before signing for Watford and playing regularly pre injury.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I imagine him, Maguire and Stones will be the central 3 which begs the question; Walker or Trippier?

We've nobody else to take set-pieces, so I suspect it will be Walker that misses out...

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 10:46, roversfan99 said:

Whilst i get that it can makes a refreshing change, im unconvinced that the players who have moved abroad have been the success stories as portrayed in the media.

For all the hype surrounding Sancho and Lookman for example, in particular Sancho, they have failed to start very many games.

Similar with Reece Oxford, his career has stagnated, and wasnt Nathaniel Chalaboh at Napoli in an unsuccessful spell without barely featuring, before signing for Watford and playing regularly pre injury.

Young English talent is going to struggle to get a game at a top level Prem team. The necessity to play in the Champs League means that those clubs will buy in ready made players.

Aside from Chalobah the others you named are 20 or under. Those 21 or younger would really benefit from playing in another country. Language, culture, food, fans are all different. Those willing to learn will thrive.

• Like 1

It should be mandatory for english players to get at least 2 years experience playing abroad...sickening when someone like jack wilshire chooses home comforts of west ham rather than play for a club like ac milan...thats why the england team fails because they arent experiencing other football cultures.

• Like 1

On 06/09/2018 at 08:09, K-Hod said:

We've nobody else to take set-pieces, so I suspect it will be Walker that misses out...

Pickford

Stones       Maguire           Gomez

Walker                  Henderson                                  Trippier

Loftus-Cheek     Lingard

Alli

Kane

I don't think Trippier or Walker need to miss out, just play them both as wing backs, Trippier played LWB for Spurs many of times. Would have played Lallana but he's injured.

Edited by AAK

4 hours ago, AAK said:

Pickford

Stones       Maguire           Gomez

Walker                  Henderson                                  Trippier

Loftus-Cheek     Lingard

Alli

Kane

I don't think Trippier or Walker need to miss out, just play them both as wing backs, Trippier played LWB for Spurs many of times. Would have played Lallana but he's injured.

Although right footer Ashley Young played on the left in the World Cup, I don't think that's what should happen. I'm pretty sure that if Rose wasn't injured for the best part of last season he would have been there.

Rose is now fit and Shaw is back to form which is good.

I'd have Walker as the right wing back and either of the other 2 on the left.

Young surprised me and played well but he always cut back in onto his right slowing play down as well as limiting his forward pass options.

14 hours ago, roverandout said:

It should be mandatory for english players to get at least 2 years experience playing abroad...sickening when someone like jack wilshire chooses home comforts of west ham rather than play for a club like ac milan...thats why the england team fails because they arent experiencing other football cultures.

Sickening? Talk about hyperbole. He chose a regular place at a club he professes to be his boyhood team, rather than a move to potentially be a squad player at a club wracked with history but very much a shadow of the club they used to be, albeit they have signed Higuain.

How on earth can you enforce such a rule? As much as I appreciate @speeeeeeedie and his point about experiencing different cultures, mainly tactical for me, the situation has to be right, the club, the player. They need to be playing, the club needs to really want them and the player needs to believe in what he is doing too.

From our 4 Champions League teams, but just like the big clubs across Europe, only the very best young talent will get a chance. City have Stones and Sterling playing regularly, Liverpool have Joe Gomez and Alexander-Arnold, and Chamberlain pre-injury, Tottenham have Kane, Trippier, Alli, and they had Winks semi-regular before his injuries, United have Shaw and Lingard, Rashford does need a move but I'm still unconvinced by him.

Regarding tomorrow, I think Gomez and Shaw should come in, Walker to play v Spain and Trippier against Switzerland. Sterling's absence is a blow, and with an absence of other quality attackers, I would play Alli and/Lingard just off Kane, further forward than at the World Cup, and bring in another central midfielder. That would have been Will Hughes if he had been picked.

Pickford

Gomes       Stones          Maguire

Walker           Henderson       Lingard          Shaw

Alli                      Rashford

Kane

Change from the 3-5-1-1 that they played a the world cup. Get someone to sit next to Henderson (could even play Dier).

We really are short in CM.