BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I would personally have Winks, Henderson and one of Maddison or Grealish, probably Maddison, with Winks as the pivot and Henderson and Maddison ahead. Sancho would be right, I think he is better than Rashford plus Sterling is better on the left.

Henderson

Arnold Gomez Maguire Chilwell

Winks

Henderson Maddison

Sancho Kane Sterling

That is a strong team 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Has anyone watched Shearers Euro 96 on BBC1 tonight?

How close did we come to winning that tournament? 

A great time to be and England fan and more importantly a great time to be a Blackburn Rovers supporter. 

Almost a tear in the eye, superb stuff. 

• Like 1

I watched the opening game against Switzerland the other day and the Scotland game, we were pretty poor until the second half of the Scotland match - Shearer header, McAllister missed a pen and we went straight down the other end for a Gazza special.

From then on, we improved massively, and I think we would have gone on and won it, if Gazza had reached that Shearer cross...

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

I watched the opening game against Switzerland the other day and the Scotland game, we were pretty poor until the second half of the Scotland match - Shearer header, McAllister missed a pen and we went straight down the other end for a Gazza special.

From then on, we improved massively, and I think we would have gone on and won it, if Gazza had reached that Shearer cross...

That Gazza miss ranks alongside the Pedersen header at Old Trafford in the semi final of the cup, 2 incidents that play over in your mind time and time again....

Both looked easier to score and I'm sure if the players had the chance again the outcomes would have been very different. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gav said:

That Gazza miss ranks alongside the Pedersen header at Old Trafford in the semi final of the cup, 2 incidents that play over in your mind time and time again....

Both looked easier to score and I'm sure if the players had the chance again the outcomes would have been very different. 

I had totally forgotten that Darren Anderton smacked one against the post in extra time as well - that was actually even closer than Gazza's miss. Also, Spain had a perfectly good goal chalked off against us in the quarter final that would have sent us packing too. Germany also had a 'golden goal' disallowed in the semi final for a push but that one did look the right decision.

Even though I knew the outcome, I still got nervous when we were taking those penalties!!

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Anybody watch the '66 World Cup Final again yesterday. I reckon the ball was in play much more than it is today and given the importance of the match the behaviour of the players was excellent.  I reckon I could have refereed that game.

I saw some of it TS, the players were much sturdier back then and when they passed the ball they mean't it!

I saw the screenshotter was getting wound up when it was on, as our overlord J*B was saying the ‘66 team would get beat by Mowbray’s Rovers.

I presume he was on a fishing expedition. But it’s an interesting point. Not that the two teams are even close in quality, but the game is just quicker now.

So you plonk that team into 2020 and they’d struggle to get to grips in with the pace. A bit of a daft discussion really, as given time to condition they’d wipe the floor with Mogga’s lot.

Reminds me of the famous Harry Enfield sketch...

5 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I had totally forgotten that Darren Anderton smacked one against the post in extra time as well - that was actually even closer than Gazza's miss. Also, Spain had a perfectly good goal chalked off against us in the quarter final that would have sent us packing too. Germany also had a 'golden goal' disallowed in the semi final for a push but that one did look the right decision.

Even though I knew the outcome, I still got nervous when we were taking those penalties!!

He was interviewed about that on 'Quickly Kevin Will He Score?' (an excellent 90s football podcast) a few months ago.

Apparently, there was an agreement with the England squad that if anyone scored a Golden Goal, the whole team would have run straight into the tunnel without celebrating the goal.  Amazing to think how different football folklore could be based on such tiny margins. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Superb @Gav

We had a brilliant team back then..

Wish Venables had stay on as coach. 

Watching the ITV Program Harry's heroes was very enjoyable. 

I think the current England team has a chance to become as good to be honest. 

In Sancho, Sterling and Kane we've got 3 world class players, and the general techical standard of the squad is very high. Defence and keeper a bit dodgy though.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I saw the screenshotter was getting wound up when it was on, as our overlord J*B was saying the ‘66 team would get beat by Mowbray’s Rovers.

I presume he was on a fishing expedition. But it’s an interesting point. Not that the two teams are even close in quality, but the game is just quicker now.

So you plonk that team into 2020 and they’d struggle to get to grips in with the pace. A bit of a daft discussion really, as given time to condition they’d wipe the floor with Mogga’s lot.

Reminds me of the famous Harry Enfield sketch...

You can't judge sporting stars of yesteryear by today's fitness standards.

If the '66 side were about today, there's no reason to suspect they'd be any less fit than anyone else; therefore all things being equal they'd wipe the floor with Mowbray's Rovers.

Similar sort of argument applies to golf. The players are physically much fitter than they were and the modern equipment and ball have taken a lot of the skill out of it. On the whole however I'd say the likes of Nicklaus, Player, Trevino and Watson were way better players than the majority today.

Next up: George Best:  Was he as good as Elliott Bennett? ?

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, philipl said:

Hilarious it has fallen to me to start this thread.

Limped to a 1-0 win with a 91st minute penalty and Iceland even got a later penalty but hit Greenland with it.

Chaddy's Union Jack will be along in a minute.

I seem to have lost interest in England the last few years,if its not the Euro Champs or the World Cup i dont bother tuning in.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

I seem to have lost interest in England the last few years,if its not the Euro Champs or the World Cup i dont bother tuning in.

You made the correct decision today.

Iceland are a glorified Pub team and we still needed a penalty to win.

For all the flair we are supposed to have we couldn't find a way through a very basic but we'll organised team playing a simple defensive system.

We won by a country mile in tippy tappy although that approach is hampered by donkeys like Dier and Rice and the idiot Walker. Hopefully the last we will see of him in an England shirt.

I think the Ref was so bored he made a conscious effort to liven it up late on. I'm glad he did though.

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Hilarious it has fallen to me to start this thread.

Limped to a 1-0 win with a 91st minute penalty and Iceland even got a later penalty but hit Greenland with it.

Chaddy's Union Jack will be along in a minute.

Sterling got bloody lucky twice. The penalty award and then scoring with a basically crap effort.

45 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

and the idiot Walker. Hopefully the last we will see of him in an England shirt.

Indeed, Alexander-Arnold should be one of the first names on the team sheet every game, no idea how he can be on the bench.

Edited by frosty