BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

10 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Spot on. I was going to say it sums up the arrogance of young professional footballers but that would be doing a disservice to the Marcus Rashfords of this world.

It’s far from perfect but we all did daft shit when we were teenagers , I imagine we had grown up  a bit more attached to the real world than Foden and co . 

• Moderation Lead
4 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Remember Maguire isn't available. Southgate has limited options at centre back.

To be fair, so do England. Along with central midfield, we are seriously lacking compared to full back, and on the wings.

• Moderation Lead
11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, I would certainly have Dunk, Tarkowski and maybe one or two others over the uselese Eric Dier.

Pains me to say it, but Mee or Tarkowski have got to be better than some of this lot.

• Like 1

Formation didn't really work today.

It's a 433 similar system to the one rovers have played recently which is infinitely improved if you get a playmaker in middle of the central mid 3. Don't think it really worked with Dier, Rice and Phillips.

Would have been a lot better if Winks was available I think. Whenever we've played well recently he is key as he knits everything together. We were very disjointed without him and Henderson.

1 hour ago, bazza said:

Southgate is copying TM.  Trippier at left back?

Southgate is incredibly PC and says all the right things for FA purposes and is very touch freely as is the modern way and in tune with the players feelings etc but in footballing terms there's as much chance of England winning something under him as Rovers being promoted to the Premier League under Mowbray!

England have some good youngsters as well. Southgate wouldn't last 5 minutes at one of the big Premier League Clubs.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Southgate is incredibly PC and says all the right things for FA purposes and is very touch freely as is the modern way and in tune with the players feelings etc but in footballing terms there's as much chance of England winning something under him as Rovers being promoted to the Premier League under Mowbray!

England have some good youngsters as well. Southgate wouldn't last 5 minutes at one of the big Premier League Clubs.

He's done pretty well so far. As well as any England manager in the last 30 years. I can't see the point in endlessly changing them. May as well see how he does next tournament.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joey_big_nose said:

He's done pretty well so far. As well as any England manager in the last 30 years. I can't see the point in endlessly changing them. May as well see how he does next tournament.

He won't be changed I agree but as soon as we come up again anyone half decent he's found lacking I'm.

1 hour ago, bazza said:

Southgate is copying TM.  Trippier at left back?

Chilwell and Shaw injured. 

20 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

It's a 433 similar system to the one rovers have played recently which is infinitely improved if you get a playmaker in middle of the central mid 3. Don't think it really worked with Dier, Rice and Phillips.

We played 3-4-3 all game pretty much. Apart from a few minutes when Mount played 10 role with Kane and Sterling up front second half. 

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

What are you actually expecting? 

Southgate did much better than Hoddle, Eriksson, Capello and Hodgson at Tournament level. 

24 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Would have been a lot better if Winks was available I think. Whenever we've played well recently he is key as he knits everything together. We were very disjointed without him and Henderson.

It was 5-2-3, wasn't it?

3 CBs, 2 WB. Fuck knows where Sanchez was playing.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Chilwell and Shaw injured. 

We played 3-4-3 all game pretty much. Apart from a few minutes when Mount played 10 role with Kane and Sterling up front second half. 

What are you actually expecting? 

Southgate did much better than Hoddle, Eriksson, Capello and Hodgson at Tournament level. 

I only caught the second half but it really looked like 433 to me. I wasn't really watching that carefully though, so happy to be corrected.

That several people seem to be if differing opinions about the formation after the game has finished tells its own story too!

Edited by joey_big_nose

7 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I only caught the second half but it really looked like 433 to me. I wasn't really watching that carefully though, so happy to be corrected.

That several people seem to be if differing opinions about the formation after the game has finished tells its own story too!

Here is a match report on tonight game which was like a pre season game and most of our players arent match fit. 

https://twitter.com/TheSunFootball/status/1303432606466347008?s=19

Edited by chaddyrovers

Decidedly average from what was an experimental England. Was Southgate looking at the defence? 

3 central defenders doesn't look right. It takes away a midfielder. 

I'm glad that Grealish got a game. He offers something different.

Mount looked lively when he came on.

Nothing wrong with Philips either.

It's disappointing to see games like this when we do actually have a squad at the moment with a lot of excellent attacking options.

On reflection I don't really know what is wrong with sticking with 4231? It suits our players and links the team together well back to front.

------------------------Pickford

A-A-----------Gomez------Maguire------Chilwell

--------------Henserson------Winks

-----Sancho----------Foden--------Sterling

---------------------------Kane

Great team that, probably only France have a better set of attacking players. Recognise injuries / players behaving like dickheads made a few drop out but you could still just swap around a few names but keep the shape and it would work very well.

I like Southgate but I just didn't really understand what he was trying to do yesterday.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Decidedly average from what was an experimental England. Was Southgate looking at the defence? 

3 central defenders doesn't look right. It takes away a midfielder. 

I'm glad that Grealish got a game. He offers something different.

Mount looked lively when he came on.

Nothing wrong with Philips either.

Not sure what the aim was yesterday. Looking at the workman like line up before the game i expected a disjointed game and thats how it panned out. As you say I dont  think 3 at the back works for England. We struggle to retain possession and it takes so much away from our front line. 

Lack of match fitness has played a part over the last two games but not sure what the plan was yesterday with 7 or 8 defensive players in the starting line up. Waiting until 75 minutes to bring Grealish on was strange. 15 mins of game time over the two matches...Southgate obviously isn't sure about him. 

Hopefully it was an experiment rather than a plan for the future. 

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

It's disappointing to see games like this when we do actually have a squad at the moment with a lot of excellent attacking options.

On reflection I don't really know what is wrong with sticking with 4231? It suits our players and links the team together well back to front.

------------------------Pickford

A-A-----------Gomez------Maguire------Chilwell

--------------Henserson------Winks

-----Sancho----------Foden--------Sterling

---------------------------Kane

Great team that, probably only France have a better set of attacking players. Recognise injuries / players behaving like dickheads made a few drop out but you could still just swap around a few names but keep the shape and it would work very well.

I like Southgate but I just didn't really understand what he was trying to do yesterday.

Would have that side but as a 4-3-3 with Winks sitting and Henderson and Foden either side.

Would also not have Pickford near the side, Pope for me with Henderson as number 2.

Agree that I have no idea what he was doing last night.