BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bournemouth away

Let's not forget that, not only are Bournemouth having to come to terms with relegation and losing some of their better players - hopefully including King to augment our transfer budget - but they're having to do so with a manager who's never managed in the Football League before, and whose only experience of managing a team was a very brief spell in charge at Weymouth in the equivalent of the National League. Since when, he's only been  an Assistant Manager to Eddie Howe at Bournemouth, the Dingles then back at Bournemouth.

So let's go into this game with belief that we'll be the team with the better chance of picking up three points from this match and ending up as Championship table-toppers after the final whistles have been blown on Saturday afternoon.

Sticking my neck out, I'm going for a 2-1 Away win. Not right bothered who gets 'em; it wouldn't matter to me if our winning goal was scored in the 90 + 4th minute by a deflection off substitute Bennett's backside!

COYB.

• Like 1

As has been pointed out, the first game is probably the best one to play a team relegated from the Premiership----they're still on a downer from losing their status, they have to come to terms with a grittier style of play and poorer officials, they are facing losing their best players but haven't yet received the cash to strengthen.

Against that-----our defence!

Optimistic we could get a draw. If we are thrashed we know we're facing hard times.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

As has been pointed out, the first game is probably the best one to play a team relegated from the Premiership----they're still on a downer from losing their status, they have to come to terms with a grittier style of play and poorer officials, they are facing losing their best players but haven't yet received the cash to strengthen.

Against that-----our defence!

Optimistic we could get a draw. If we are thrashed we know we're facing hard times.

Not sure, we got battered off a relegated Norwich a few seasons back...the relegation season i think.  They ran riot in the sunshine.

Best of luck to Kaminksi, he's being thrown in the deep end. As a keeper in a new country you need to build up a bit of confidence, and he has to do that now without a proper defence. I just hope he has what it takes mentally if in the first few matches things really don't go our way, which they likely won't. 

• Like 1

Our expected back four for our 1st game this season is going to be Bell, Williams, Lenihan and Nyambe.

That got me wondering how many times that foursome has played together in the past 3 seasons.

The games they played in (I’ve only included games where they played as a back four for the entirety of the match):

18/19 Season

Derby (A) 0-0 D

Stoke City (A) 2-3 W

Norwich City (H) 0-1 L

Bolton (H) 2-0 W

19/20 Season

Cardiff (H) 0-0 D

Birmingham (H) 1-1 D

So only 1 loss in 6 games and 3 clean sheets as well. Not bad!

• Like 1

A lot of 'experts' predicting that we'll win. Have to say, I have no idea who will be in their starting 11. Will King play? Brookes? 

They've lost 4 key players already - Ake, Wilson, Ramsdale, Fraser - and will lose King and Brookes before the end of the window too. And, most importantly, they've lost their manager as well who performed miracles.

I actually think we'll break our opening day hoodoo and win this one. I also think Bournemouth are in for a very tough season and their manager will be gone by Xmas.  

Kaminski, Nayambe, Lenihen, Warton, Bell, Evans, Travis, Holtby, Armstrong, JRC and erm Rothwell. 

There's still 2 or 3 players I don't want in that team which is a bad way to start. 

Torn between Rothwell or Gally (up front) for the final spot but figured keep Armstrong to where  he is  best. Neither Rothwell, Bell, Warton or Evans would be near my first 11 but can't see any better choices at present which is depressing. 

No idea why people are selecting Bereton. A few decent runs and a missed open goal doesn't warrent it imo. Mind you we are short on options. 

As for that bench. Horrific. 

Resigning to fate that we are unlikely to sign anyone in the next few days who can walk straight into the first team against Bournemouth.

Bell, Williams are very likely to start.

With Gallagher and Evans coming back, it will be interesting to see which young midfielders (Dolan, Davenport, Chapman and Buckley) will Mowbray drop from the first 18? Hopefully Dolan will get a chance from the bench.