BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bournemouth away

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Thats a big statement considering it was his first 20 minutes of League football in which his failed trick led to the winning goal.

He was very bright when he came on and I dont doubt that I would like to see more of him in the first team but I think that people are going a little over the top and could lead to potentially expecting too much from him.

Duff was a world class talent who not only was exciting but was very effective. Lets not go over the top.

Duff wasn't a world class talent at Dolan's age.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Johnson for their first goal. Lazy, useless, soft waste of space

Johnson for their second goal. Useless, easily-turned waste of space

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/bournemouth/12070185/bournemouth-3-2-blackburn

I'm glad someone else is saying this. I saw a few posts saying he was one of our better players. And I couldn't disagree more. I like you thought he was very culpable for 2 Bournemouth goals. The second was horrendous. I was shouting about how Solanke got so much space in the area. Then the replay and seeing how poor Johnson was allowing him to roll away showed exactly why

• Like 7

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Totally agree that there isnt a perfect correlation between "unattractive" football and winning, there are many ways to skin a cat. That being said, I don't think we would have been battered had we been more conservative, they looked strongest after we had attacked on the counter attack, they had a lot of pace but not that much craft.

I do think a pressing style suits us but the way we played today, no part of the side totally convinced me. I dont think we "should've won" either, whilst I always think that the team that should've won will win, in terms of the game, I would say it was very even, quite scrappy at times, and I am surprised that there were 5 goals.

Defensively, we are obviously awful. I don't think that the midfield controlled the game particularly, and it is so easy to bypass it, so often they got between our midfield and defence and obviously could shoot from distance. Both wide players were ineffective and the 5 of them struggled to create any good chances, many of our 15 shots were speculative, including one of only 2 shots on target. Armstrong often was left isolated, his goal was when he came alive, but he often looked to peel off and our midfielder on the ball at that time was neither capable or brave enough to look to play him in, but it was on all of the time.

My main point is regarding an inferiority complex, not to sound too much like Vinjay, and this isnt aimed at you by the way, just a general point. I dont think anyone truly believes that we are good enough to be up in the top 6, or even close to it. We lost a game late on against another side who will be competing at the top end, it is only one game but it is gutting. Understand that the manager needs to come up with the usual spiel, full of positives etc and not too fussed about that but if we had got a result it would have probably felt like we had pulled off a shock as a plucky underdog.

I remember Brentford away last year. Quite a few people were preempting a loss before the game had kicked off, even though we were in good form at that time, we needed to make ground up and were playing a fellow play off rival. We threw a 2 goal lead away yet people seemed happy with a draw. 

You won't win many games with only two shots on target.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, S8 & Blue said:

CM is as responsible for our goals against column as the defenders are. 

Because we only play three in there to effectively cover the width of the pitch we are left exposed time and again on the flanks. No surprise two of their goals come from out wide. 

Crooke makes a good point in his tweet. We need better defenders but that's only half the story. But we do need better than Bell, he's awful.

At no stage during Mowbray's tenure has our defence been solid. Even in League One with by far the strongest squad in the league we still conceded with alarming regularity.

I don't believe personnel is the full story. The manager must also be questioned.

Sadly at his age and with his track record he isnt going to change his approach..

• Like 5

I’d rather watch us lose 3-2 having pressed high in their box and got in their faces than have lost 2-0 by sitting back all game and letting their highly competent midfield just run the show.

Johnson had one of his better games for me, no big passing errors, a goal after a long range effort we should be seeing twice a game from him and some calm control in midfield.

Travis was erratic and got pulled into a stupid and unhelpful individual war with Jefferson Lerma. It only served to help the mainly PL built side with their diving and their ability to win fouls, and in the end Lerma won the little battle by grabbing his goal and coming off with a job completed well.

Bell quite simply put is not good enough. Joe Rankin-Costello should play there as a temporary measure, or Lewis Thompson from the Under 23’s who actually fits the position. 

Edited by JoeH

30 minutes ago, JHRover said:

At no stage during Mowbray's tenure has our defence been solid. Even in League One with by far the strongest squad in the league we still conceded with alarming regularity.

I don't believe personnel is the full story. The manager must also be questioned.

Sadly at his age and with his track record he isnt going to change his approach..

At no stage during Venky’s ownership has our defence been solid. Runs deeper than the manager.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/bournemouth/12070185/bournemouth-3-2-blackburn

That first goal really is pathetic. 7 players lined up on the box with only Armstrong and Holtby doing any leg work. 

I take it back, rewatching the second I think that one is the worst. 6 rovers players in the box marking 2 Bournemouth players, whilst two other Bournemouth players stand completely open ready for the layoff. 

Edited by CambridgeRover

1 hour ago, Bohinen 22 said:

Anyone, including the moron we have in charge, who blames Dolan for the last goal is an idiot. At least he is trying things. Being creative. A refreshing change from the usual donkey centre forward playing on the wing that Tony usually employs.

Yeah, what an idiot this "moron we have in charge" is for trusting/playing this newly signed 18 year old. 

Try not to funnel every thought through how can I blame Mowbray for this thing that I'm unhappy about. 

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I would play JRC and Travis in a midfield 3 with Holtby. 

Johnson is mostly useful for his heading ability if we are under pressure at the end of a game; much like Gallagher. Both only good as subs imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Was a very coyle esque defeat that 

I think that’s very harsh and based on the score line not the game.

I saw distinct patterns of play in and out of possession today. From the high press, to overlapping full backs and the way we Johnson and Travis made space for Holtby.

Such things were never present under Coyle. 

Sounds like typical Rovers. Enough promise and good stuff to keep us in this division but the same basic errors that will prevent us from ever progressing or getting promoted. 

My worry is the good stuff is spread rather thin, albeit offensively we do better than on paper would suggest. But even so it's a thin, thin squad, which might tip the balance towards more negatives than positives. 

18 minutes ago, Bohinen 22 said:

He is a moron for not improving our defence for over three years. I stand by it. Same mistakes made. Same kind of game lost. And let’s not pretend he is the perfect manager for giving youth a chance . See his shoddy treatment of Chapman.

The fact TM even went after Chapman just to make him available for the stiffs/23s shows the ideological commitment imo.

Tough shit for Harry that Dolan has already shown that  he can contribute more in 20 mins then he ever had. Get your head down, be humble, work yer arse off.

Chapman was just a cheap lesson for us all that a few exciting nutmegs against L1 plodders does not player make. Clever grafters like JRC, Trav etc have an attitude that makes them 10 times the player. 

Fan pleasing signing, cost peanuts, but the lad just isn’t top half Champ material imo, and he never really was.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bohinen 22 said:

He is a moron for not improving our defence for over three years. I stand by it. Same mistakes made. Same kind of game lost. And let’s not pretend he is the perfect manager for giving youth a chance . See his shoddy treatment of Chapman.

I really take exception to your use of the word “moron”. Do you actually know what the word means? 
By the way our manager does give youth a chance. It’s up to them to prove they’re up to the job.

14 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Fan pleasing signing, cost peanuts, but the lad just isn’t top half Champ material imo, and he never really was.

He needs a run to see.  Just like any young player.  Never had a sniff, obviously he's pissed Mowbray off behind the scenes, but you cannot claim he isn't good enough for this level

37 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I think that’s very harsh and based on the score line not the game.

I saw distinct patterns of play in and out of possession today. From the high press, to overlapping full backs and the way we Johnson and Travis made space for Holtby.

Such things were never present under Coyle. 

Losing a game we should have won, scoring two but losing because we were very weak at the other end, i stand by my comment 

10 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

He needs a run to see.  Just like any young player.  Never had a sniff, obviously he's pissed Mowbray off behind the scenes, but you cannot claim he isn't good enough for this level

He’s the same age as Travis, he’s older than Brereton, and he’s a full 3/4 years older than Dolan.

That nutmeg in L1 was really nice yeah, but I really don’t think we can blame Chapman’s lack of progression on TM.

Cheap gamble, doesn’t look like it will work out. Que sera.

Edited by S8 & Blue

17 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Chapman has had game time. Unfortunately for him he’s only ever looked a good player against League One or 23’s opposition. Tyrhys Dolan has shown more today against Bournemouth than I believe Chapman has ever shown against top level opposition in the two/three years he’s been here.

6 hours ago, JoeH said:

I don’t know about anyone else but simply put I just enjoyed the game... taking other things out of it, I bloody love some of the football we play these days. It’s so much better than years past in this division. Hoping Dolan gets a start against Newcastle.

22878D18-5308-4E06-AAE7-8C3CFA681416.gif

Very winnable but frustrating game. That was an ideal opportunity to get the season off to a great start. Bournemouth have some skillful players but they seemed to have a fairly soft centre and were there for the taking. If we got in their faces more we could have stramrolled them - especially after our second goal.

We will have much tougher games against less fancied opposition.

I always felt we would do just enough to lose honourably.

Successful teams play badly but win. - playing well and losing is not a desirable trait.

They had 5 or 6 meaningful attempts on goal and scored 3. We all know where are problem lies. With Bell. Lenihan and Willaims in the back 4 we will be bottom half at best.

Keeper looked assured, Dolan and Rothwell excellent. Travis seems to be somewhat under par. We need a leader on the pitch.

Edited by Crimpshrine
  • Like 2