BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bournemouth away

1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

I’m probably classed as being on the more negative side of things (which is fair, I am what I am), but the one thing that pleases me is that we have combative midfielders that aren’t afraid to put a foot in nowadays.

Been a long time since that was the case really!

I swear I saw Bell make a couple of hefty challenges too!

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

With Mowbray giving more debuts to academy players the notion that he DOESNT back young players is just odd.

Mowbray signed Chapman twice so Chapman is ‘on’ Mowbray if you know what I mean? Whereas he admitted last week that he hadn’t even properly seen Dolan before he signed and Yet Dolan takes Chapmans place on the bench...the reason quite clearly is that one of them dies as the manager asks and the other doesn’t. It’s clear to me that Chapman was a shoe in to get games this season until Dolan turned up. 

Asking at bit much really and it will only happen once!

• Like 1

I really don't understand what role Venus has at Rovers. I know his job title and perhaps what he should do but his involvement on match days seems negligible. Yesterday Tindall was in constant dialogue with his coaching staff (I noticed he has got Graeme Jones there) whilst the game was in progress. Mowbray, Venus and Lowe didn't speak to each other at all when they were in view, in fact Mowbray spent more time sat down than in any other game I can remember.

It just has an odd feel to it at the moment.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I really don't understand what role Venus has at Rovers. I know his job title and perhaps what he should do but his involvement on match days seems negligible. Yesterday Tindall was in constant dialogue with his coaching staff (I noticed he has got Graeme Jones there) whilst the game was in progress. Mowbray, Venus and Lowe didn't speak to each other at all when they were in view, in fact Mowbray spent more time sat down than in any other game I can remember.

It just has an odd feel to it at the moment.

‘Odd’ is the right word.

I wouldn’t particularly want or expect my manager to be bouncing around like a performing seal on the touch line, seems a bit for show with some. Also, there needs to be a degree of ownership from the players - I.e ‘those are my instructions, use your initiative and game management too’ etc.

But TM looks to have gone the other way post lockdown. Literally spending whole halves or matches in the dugout sitting in silence, at Luton he spent most of the match sat in the stand on his own. 

Edited by Mattyblue

9 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

Mowbray gives the appearance of a man , who knows he hasnt got long left , how long it takes the powers that be to realise , is anyones guess !

he won`t be sacked thats for sure,waggott and suhail would`nt sack him if he took us to the conference,the only way the mowbray regime is ending is if tony decides he`s had enough of the management game and negotiates a pay off,as much as i have contempt for his management he is an honest and nice man and if he does go i wish him well,very likeable chap is mowbray

• Like 2

Just watched highlights (watched entire game yesterday). 

Annoyed with the result but clinical finishes for their goals - poor defending for 2nd and especially 3rd goal (Force him outside being Rule 1 i was taught)

Dolan is a livewire but giving the ball away there was a rookie mistake given the pattern of the game. Sure it often won't cost a goal but still - any other player would be roundly criticised for it.

Pity Holtbys was ruled out - actually liked that we went for the win but we need a defensive "coach" (or a new manager dependant on your view of TM). Sure upgrade the players too but the amount of time and space the opposition are granted around our area is a collective flaw not individual.

• Like 1

I get the impression from Mowbray's comments, the local press and players comments that they are quite content with how things went yesterday and that there isn't much to be concerned about.

I'm worried that Mowbray genuinely thinks that and will be telling the players the same.

If he does then we aren't going to make progress.

• Like 1

I watched the game and dodged being on here as I was gutted with the result and can never bring myself to read the post-mortem. 

For me though, frustrating but we were beaten by 3 quality finishes and were the better side. Despite it sounding like the usual guff, I agree with Mowbray that the players should be happy with that level of performance, we just need some quality at the back as Bell and Del are playing to their limits while Lenihan needs a solid partner to prevent exposing his own weaknesses. If we don't get those defenders, well that is down to one man and so far it has cost us at least one point if not three. 

• Like 2

• Backroom

Whilst I understand the pleasing aspects of our play at times being interpreted as a good performance, the reality is we only had two shots on target which won't win most games. You only score if you are hitting shots on target, and one could argue we were lucky yesterday to have a 100% conversion rate (thanks to a howler from their GK for one of those), and we still lost. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I get the impression from Mowbray's comments, the local press and players comments that they are quite content with how things went yesterday and that there isn't much to be concerned about.

I'm worried that Mowbray genuinely thinks that and will be telling the players the same.

If he does then we aren't going to make progress.

Bournemouth’s squad value is 7-8x ours. Lerma cost them more than our whole squad is worth. Despite all that we dominated most of the game with 5 players from our Academy featuring.

I don’t think anyone was happy to lose that game in the end. But surely you can take some heart from the performance against an opponent that was far superior on paper.

17 hours ago, Bohinen 22 said:

Anyone, including the moron we have in charge, who blames Dolan for the last goal is an idiot. At least he is trying things. Being creative. A refreshing change from the usual donkey centre forward playing on the wing that Tony usually employs.

He did try things and of course that attacking instinct should be nurtured but he was largely responsible for the third by trying a trick at the wrong time and failing to pull it off. It was a mistake by a young lad and hopefully he will learn from it. Saying that he carried some blame doesnt mean that people are saying that he shouldnt be creative and expressive or that he wasnt otherwise eye catching. 

Goes without saying that Gallagher should not play on the wing.

17 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

JRC has everything to be a modern fullback.

Really good in the tackle (oo-er), positionally he’s a natural, runs all day and has decent ability in attack.

But if we ask him to be a wide forward and rely on him to create or score it’s a completely different proposition.

His engine up and down the flank and a good preseason did justify his start there today - he just didn’t really set the game alight.

Put him at LB

He doesnt look comfortable at full back, 2 weeks ago he was repeatedly skinned and caught out of position at right back. Can tell that he wasnt a full back.

Im not convinced that we will be able to plug the goals against even with reinforcements if we always want our full backs so high up.

He deserved his start but I dont think he impressed to be honest but it is only one game. Ineffective.

16 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Duff wasn't a world class talent at Dolan's age.

Of course not, I am just not sure that comparisons to such a player at this stage are warranted or helpful.

15 hours ago, JoeH said:

Chapman has had game time. Unfortunately for him he’s only ever looked a good player against League One or 23’s opposition. Tyrhys Dolan has shown more today against Bournemouth than I believe Chapman has ever shown against top level opposition in the two/three years he’s been here.

Has he had game time at senior level? Chapman against Reading set up one goal and put one on a plate for someone else, I would say that he was more effective than Dolan was yesterday, even if he was eye catching.

35 minutes ago, Miker said:

Bournemouth’s squad value is 7-8x ours. Lerma cost them more than our whole squad is worth. Despite all that we dominated most of the game with 5 players from our Academy featuring.

I don’t think anyone was happy to lose that game in the end. But surely you can take some heart from the performance against an opponent that was far superior on paper.

We lost !

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Miker said:

Its a bit of an inferiority complex though considering that we supposedly are targetting the top 6. If we want to do so we cant go into games as self proclaimed plucky underdogs who come away content with a loss but a competitive performance.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its a bit of an inferiority complex though considering that we supposedly are targetting the top 6. If we want to do so we cant go into games as self proclaimed plucky underdogs who come away content with a loss but a competitive performance.

Same every season with attitudes towards relegated sides. Regardless what they cost they are now our level and have lost their better players.. That squad being assembled in the Premier League will count for nothing when they are dropping points against QPR and Boro shortly.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Miker said:

I think the way Bournmouth play made for an open game and gave us, especially our two subs, the chance to play some good attacking football and we looked comfortable for most of the match. It could be argued it was a reasonable performance against a more expensive, experinced team.

However, we may not look so comfortable against teams like Luton, Barnsley, Preston etc who have much less expensive squads than us.

We are all in the same league and one thing is certain - any team that regularly ships 3 goals is not going top of it

10 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

I think the way Bournmouth play made for an open game and gave us, especially our two subs, the chance to play some good attacking football and we looked comfortable for most of the match. It could be argued it was a reasonable performance against a more expensive, experinced team.

However, we may not look so comfortable against teams like Luton, Barnsley, Preston etc who have much less expensive squads than us.

We are all in the same league and one thing is certain - any team that regularly ships 3 goals is not going top of it

The disparity between us and Luton/Charlton etc last season is nowhere near the disparity between us and Bournemouth though.

Either way, the performances and losses against Wigan, Luton, Millwall and Barnsley at the end of last season were completely unacceptable. We have to be finding a way to win those sort of matches this season.

• Like 1

So basically going off these theories Bournemouth should more or less walk this league and will put 3 past every midtable team ?

It's 11 v 11 and it's not a Premier league team in a cup tie it's one relegated because they weren't good enough to be there.  All tough games in this league on their own merit. Everyone can beat each other it's all about getting it right on the day.

Underdogs we were yes, quality they have more yes but we weren't away to Liverpool.

• Like 1