BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Season Predictions 2020-2021

This season is unpredictable as we are going to have so many young players in key roles.

Based on what we've seen I think they may be a slight improvement on last year's squad in terms of attacking but slightly weaker in terms of defence.

Wheels could come off defensively and we end up in a relegation scrap. Or we could acclimatise well and make mid table again.

If we could sign a quality left back and centre back I would be much more optimistic.

If we sign a good left back and CB, a play off place is realistic. The weakest this league has been since we were relegated from the prem. A real chance if we can get some good defenders in. 

Breo and Gallagher will be better than they were last year, and Dack is back soon. We should score quite a few goals. 

Fail to sign to sign any decent defenders and I think we'll be around 12-14th. 

• Like 1

Top 6. 

Really expecting big things from our youngsters; JRC in particular. And really heartened by Holby playing deep. Would love to see him playing in a midfield 3 with Travis and JRC. With Dack, BB and Armstrong in a front 3. 

Hopefully we can get Tosin back though. 

And a left back. Would it be worth trying Grayson there? I had also heard good things about Thompson. And Maglorie could possibly provide right back cover. He is quick and turns sharply. 

Lots to think about. 

1 hour ago, rovers11 said:

If we sign a good left back and CB, a play off place is realistic. The weakest this league has been since we were relegated from the prem. A real chance if we can get some good defenders in. 

Breo and Gallagher will be better than they were last year, and Dack is back soon. We should score quite a few goals. 

Fail to sign to sign any decent defenders and I think we'll be around 12-14th. 

Key with Gallagher is he is a striker, a target man in a 4-4-2, not a wide forward / winger. If TM wants him to deliver he must be used there. A mix of Bereton and Gallagher to partner Armstrong should work in a 4-4-2.

Never found it more difficult to assess our prospects going into a season. I think a lot still hinges on whether we can make a few astute additions before the end of the window and there being no late major departures. The other variables are whether Mowbray is here all season and on the assumption he is, whether he gives the youngsters a proper crack or does his usual and plays it safe by shoe horning in senior players out of position.

Best case scenario if Mowbray is replaced with a better manager and the youngsters are given their head - 10th with a view to future improvement.

Worst case scenario and it's same old same old 20th to 24th.

As things stand it is likely to be another roller-coaster, with good wins against quality opposition dominating others, followed inexplicably by defeats to 'poorer' sides struggling against everyone else but us... a bit like the last few years at erm...'Fortress Ewood' :)

Hoping against hope that our manager, with his career based solidly on no-nonsense defending, will put some effort into building a solid back line, as I think our midfield has good creative potential, and with a supply from midfield our strike-force might actually start firing some goals consistently (especially with the new boys looking to break into the squad)'

But ho hum, this is Tone Deaf and the Waggot show, so I'm going for another year of baffling team selections, inexplicable 'tactics' and a complete lack of logic in terms of recruitment, all resulting in us enjoying (yeah right) being the division's perennial nearly nearly men.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

• J*B unpinned this topic
40 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

As things stand it is likely to be another roller-coaster, with good wins against quality opposition dominating others, followed inexplicably by defeats to 'poorer' sides struggling against everyone else but us... a bit like the last few years at erm...'Fortress Ewood' :)

Hoping against hope that our manager, with his career based solidly on no-nonsense defending, will put some effort into building a solid back line, as I think our midfield has good creative potential, and with a supply from midfield our strike-force might actually start firing some goals consistently (especially with the new boys looking to break into the squad)'

But ho hum, this is Tone Deaf and the Waggot show, so I'm going for another year of baffling team selections, inexplicable 'tactics' and a complete lack of logic in terms of recruitment, all resulting in us enjoying (yeah right) being the division's perennial nearly nearly men.

giphy.gif

I agree with most of this but I'm not sure you can even count us as 'nearly men' - which is thoroughly depressing. How long have we occupied the play off spots under Mowbray for example? I'd guess three weeks at most.

We're solidly mid table and haven't strengthened where we desperately need to so unless the youngsters have an absolute stormer we're looking at 10th-14th I'd wager. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

A difficult season to predict but with plenty to take encouragement from to date in pre-season I will say between 6th and 8th.

I'd agree if we signed a CB and a LB. Without them our defence will be as leaky as it has been the last two seasons. The only caveat to that is that if we have become really good at the high press (not just in friendlies) then it takes a lot of pressure off the defence. 

Impossible to confidently predict where we might finish at the end of this season, partly due to the blooding of several youngsters, which could go either way, and partly due to the nature of the championship. But as in every season, we start with a clean slate and hope in our hearts.

COYB!!!!

The best footballers at Ewood/Brockhall are dramatically different from those in January 2019.

Don't know how they are going to fit together but if Nyambe, Lenihan, Travis, JRC, Buckley, Dolan, Armstrong and the only point of continuity Dack get regular playing time we could yet have a great season. 

Really puts the pressure on everyone else in the squad if they are picked and perform as they are showing they are capable of.