Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
OnePhilT

Football Italia

Recommended Posts

I used to have a juventus shirt with Baggio on the back when I was about 6.

the Parma team of thuram cannavaro etc was a phenomenal side

Edited by Oldgregg86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I used to love Football Italia. 

My memory is that it was on a Saturday morning. Live games were on Sunday afternoons.

Italia '90 set the stage for it. Serie A had the best players in the world back then. I remember when Ruud Gullit came to Chelsea. He was their best player by a country mile and was close to 35. He was in his prime at Milan, along with a lot of other players. Klinnsmann too. I'm sure that he was 30+ when he joined Spurs. He was another who was class.

 

Every team had a few class acts then. Mancini was my favourite, what a great forward. I remember seeing George Weah score " that " goal, my jaw was on the ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll always remember Christian Vieri (brought up in Oz) confusing the hell out of Italian journalists when he named his sporting hero as Aussie cricketer Allan Border.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I used to have a juventus shirt with Baggio on the back when I was about 6.

the Parma team of thuram cannavaro etc was a phenomenal side

Parma late 90s were a great team yep, would love to have seen them in action. Buffon, Thuram, Cannavaro, Veron, Crespo, Chiesa.....unreal. Iconic names everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I used to love Football Italia. 

My memory is that it was on a Saturday morning. Live games were on Sunday afternoons.

Italia '90 set the stage for it. Serie A had the best players in the world back then. I remember when Ruud Gullit came to Chelsea. He was their best player by a country mile and was close to 35. He was in his prime at Milan, along with a lot of other players. Klinnsmann too. I'm sure that he was 30+ when he joined Spurs. He was another who was class.

 

There were the 3 Germans at Inter,Klinsmann Brehme and Matthaus and the 3 Dutch at AC Gullit,Rijkaard and Van Basten,they took their rivalry when playing for Germany and Holland to the Italian league playing in the same city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Every team had a few class acts then. Mancini was my favourite, what a great forward. I remember seeing George Weah score " that " goal, my jaw was on the ground.

Do you mean the one where he dribbled from his own box and scored? A bit like Son's against Burnley? I have a memory of him scoring an unbelievable volley from about the penalty spot. The fact that he managed to score by booting it from behind the defender stuck with me. 

2 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

There were the 3 Germans at Inter,Klinsmann Brehme and Matthaus and the 3 Dutch at AC Gullit,Rijkaard and Van Basten,they took their rivalry when playing for Germany and Holland to the Italian league playing in the same city.

Yep. Euro '88 winners Holland. Italia '90 winners Germany who knocked out the Dutch with Rijkaard and Voller getting sent off. The Dutch had them at club level though. Inter were streets behind Milan. Marseille's cheating robbed them (Milan) of at least one more European Cup too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, speeeeeeedie said:

Do you mean the one where he dribbled from his own box and scored? A bit like Son's against Burnley? I have a memory of him scoring an unbelievable volley from about the penalty spot. The fact that he managed to score by booting it from behind the defender stuck with me. 

Yep. Euro '88 winners Holland. Italia '90 winners Germany who knocked out the Dutch with Rijkaard and Voller getting sent off. The Dutch had them at club level though. Inter were streets behind Milan. Marseille's cheating robbed them (Milan) of at least one more European Cup too.

 

Yep, the one were he went almost the length of the field to score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for starting this thread-so many great memories I dont even know where to begin. Probably with that brilliant music and gooooaaaallll Lazzzzziooooo ( as I thought it at the time-when actually it is golaccio)!

For youngsters around my generation (im 33) who didnt have sky sports, Italian football on a sunday was as the only live football you could get on Tv. Myself and many others, knew Italian football as well as English football around that time, all the players, the transfers etc. I used to support the Italian clubs in Europe (apart from when playing English teams, unless they were Man United) and I had a soft spot for their national team which continues to this day. We all had our favorite team, mine was Sampdoria (interesting how a few others are on this thread-probably cos we were similar sized clubs upsetting the big boys), however my favorite player was Del Piero. I remember being gutted when he got injured in 98-99.

The sat morning program was the highlights from the previous weekends game, which I either watched live or taped on my VCR as I played football on sat morning. I loved the live sunday games. One thing that stood out for me was the atmosphere and the size of the stadiums. Dont forget, for people like me who began watching football in the mid-90s English stadiums were probably at their smallest; it was after standing had been fully phased out (and the capacity reductions that resulted), but before all the major re-building and new grounds had begun. The largest club stadium at the time was OT at 45k, compare this to the San Siro (85k), Stadio Olympico (82k), Delle Alpi (71k), San Paulo (70k). Jeez even Bari had a stadium close to 60k. And that intoxicating noise that they make in Italy when they score-so different to England, that deeper roar that they do. 

Looking back on it now, it was an even better show then I realised.. As a youngster I missed some of the subtle jokes and comments that James Richardson would make. I had no idea that the commentator was none other than Ken wolstenholme of the 66 world cup final.

My last favorite part was the tongue twister that they always read out for the competition. An AliTalia Tour Trip for Two To a Top ITalian game.

Thank you for bringing this up and all the wonderful memories!

Edited by BRFC4EVA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Early to mid 90's were my absolute favourite footy related times as a teenager. I just couldn't get enough of it, and the channel 4 football coverage was a huge part of that.

Saturday morning used to be up as early as possible, nip around to the corner shop to get a couple of papers and match magazine, followed by FourFourTwo when that came out around 94/95. Football Italia highlights show in the morning followed by going to watch Rovers in the afternoon, then fighting against my tiredness to stay up and watch match of the day Saturday night.

Sunday mornings started again with getting a paper to read through all the match reports of the previous days games, followed by playing for my local side, before coming home to a sunday dinner with the live italian match usually early Sunday afternoon, followed by skys super sunday game in the late afternoon.

I'd usually then panic at around 8pm Sunday night that I hadn't done any of my homework. 

Great times, I just don't imagine todays kids/teenagers have that football related buzz anymore, whilst my lad enjoys it I think he enjoys sitting on his playstation playing fortnite more.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Peter Brackley was the main commentator, wasn’t he?

Yeah,i remember Ray Wilkins being the best of the co-commentators they had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/09/2020 at 07:22, MarkBRFC said:

Early to mid 90's were my absolute favourite footy related times as a teenager. I just couldn't get enough of it, and the channel 4 football coverage was a huge part of that.

Saturday morning used to be up as early as possible, nip around to the corner shop to get a couple of papers and match magazine, followed by FourFourTwo when that came out around 94/95. Football Italia highlights show in the morning followed by going to watch Rovers in the afternoon, then fighting against my tiredness to stay up and watch match of the day Saturday night.

Sunday mornings started again with getting a paper to read through all the match reports of the previous days games, followed by playing for my local side, before coming home to a sunday dinner with the live italian match usually early Sunday afternoon, followed by skys super sunday game in the late afternoon.

I'd usually then panic at around 8pm Sunday night that I hadn't done any of my homework. 

Great times, I just don't imagine todays kids/teenagers have that football related buzz anymore, whilst my lad enjoys it I think he enjoys sitting on his playstation playing fortnite more.

 

My early 90's weekends were vey similar to yours. They changed somewhat around 93/94 as I started going out boozing when the opportunity presented itself.

I used to play on Saturday mornings, then go to Ewood in the afternoons. When Rovers were away I'd go and watch local combination football as I lived close to playing fields.

I really enjoyed the Sunday paper match reports. Especially reading the Rovers one if I'd been at the game.

It may sound like a Hovis advert to younger members but the 90's offered a paradigm shift in football. English teams back in Europe. Formation of the Premier League. The advent of Sky Sports. European Cup to Champions League. All seater stadia. Euro '96. It all happened within 5 years and changed the nature of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 12:22, MarkBRFC said:

Early to mid 90's were my absolute favourite footy related times as a teenager. I just couldn't get enough of it, and the channel 4 football coverage was a huge part of that.

Saturday morning used to be up as early as possible, nip around to the corner shop to get a couple of papers and match magazine, followed by FourFourTwo when that came out around 94/95. Football Italia highlights show in the morning followed by going to watch Rovers in the afternoon, then fighting against my tiredness to stay up and watch match of the day Saturday night.

Sunday mornings started again with getting a paper to read through all the match reports of the previous days games, followed by playing for my local side, before coming home to a sunday dinner with the live italian match usually early Sunday afternoon, followed by skys super sunday game in the late afternoon.

I'd usually then panic at around 8pm Sunday night that I hadn't done any of my homework. 

Great times, I just don't imagine todays kids/teenagers have that football related buzz anymore, whilst my lad enjoys it I think he enjoys sitting on his playstation playing fortnite more.

 

I live facing a huge common. Big enough for 5 full size football pitches. When we first moved here 25 years ago there would be loads of kids playing football and cricket. Now you never see any kids out playing sport. I find it really sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to watch all of the random sports on transworld sports prior just waiting for gazetta to come in on a Saturday morning. I was Juve, purely down to Alessandro Del Piero. Genius. Had me a proper fake kit from Majorca in 1996, back before you could really get European shirts in the UK.

I also used to stay up to the early hours Watching ‘football America’ on the new channel 5, and like to think I knew about Marcelo Salas before anyone in this country. Still one of my favourite players from my youth.

as an early teen I watched anything and could probably rival a Rothmans book for obscure knowledge about a lower league journeyman’s entire transfer football history and their exact transfer fees.

Now I barely watch football, and know hardly anything about any of the players. Fell out of love with it post 2010 for obvious reasons.

i do however run a lot. And on these runs I listen to: gazetta football Italia!

the quickly Kevin, will he score? 90s podcast is also absolutely brilliant. Take me back already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the football wasn't entertaining enough then there was always the sight of the Tifosi kicking off in the stands..they were never afraid of showing it either.

'Violenza è stupido' was regularly seen on the advertising boards around the Pitch...didn't seem to make much difference!

Edited by A Northern Horde...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SamTheLeedsRover said:

I used to watch all of the random sports on transworld sports prior just waiting for gazetta to come in on a Saturday morning. I was Juve, purely down to Alessandro Del Piero. Genius. Had me a proper fake kit from Majorca in 1996, back before you could really get European shirts in the UK.

I also used to stay up to the early hours Watching ‘football America’ on the new channel 5, and like to think I knew about Marcelo Salas before anyone in this country. Still one of my favourite players from my youth.

as an early teen I watched anything and could probably rival a Rothmans book for obscure knowledge about a lower league journeyman’s entire transfer football history and their exact transfer fees.

Now I barely watch football, and know hardly anything about any of the players. Fell out of love with it post 2010 for obvious reasons.

i do however run a lot. And on these runs I listen to: gazetta football Italia!

the quickly Kevin, will he score? 90s podcast is also absolutely brilliant. Take me back already

Transworld Sport. Another fantastic watch. 

You are right, it was on channel 4 early on Saturday morning. 

I learned so much about US sports from it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Transworld Sport. Another fantastic watch. 

You are right, it was on channel 4 early on Saturday morning. 

I learned so much about US sports from it. 

They'd also sometimes have a 10 min section of a weird sport you'd never head of before.I'm sure one week they did the world wife carrying championships 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

I'm sure one week they did the world wife carrying championships 😀

I carried mine for 25 fooking years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to sign up just to add to the thread - visiting AFCB fan.

Basically my memories of the Saturday morning show was being hungover watching it after Trevor and Simon on 'Going Live' - sat in my mate's room, a lifelong Rovers fan. This is at Staffs Uni in Stoke after another big Friday night out at the Students Union ;). Been dragged to quite a few Rovers matches with him, the FA Cup replay at Liverpool (Ball boy gate tie!), the first Dalglish match v Plymouth and the Shearer volley v Southampton.

Saturdays match? Think we'll both do OK - think the defences need some work though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved Football Italia, James Richardson was brilliant and went on to do very good stuff with the Guardian, managed to be part of a small audience with him and James Glendinning (knob), was drinking with them afterwards and James was great value.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm too young to remember the glory days - either of Serie A or Rovers! - but not having Sky as a youngster, the European competitions on ITV and Channel 5 were the closest I got to watching any football that wasn't Rovers. Though most were past their absolute best the names still bring back memories for me - Vieri, Thuram, Nedved, Recoba, Del Piero, Buffon, Maldini... Something when you're a kid about seeing all these names and matches from places thousands of miles away is really special. Not arsed about any of it these days but those memories are still such a part of my early years. Shame what Italian football descended into!

Edited by GHR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.