BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Newcastle United away in the League Cup

• Backroom
Just now, mustard said:

Brereton doesn’t take a touch with the chance at the end and snatches at it as it comes down and he’d get pelters, takes a touch and a great intercepting tackle stops him in his tracks, gets pelters.  I thought he played well second half, but I’m not watching him with the scrutinising eyes wishing him not to do well.  Anyone see Arma do anything since he came on? Or does commenting on that not fit in with people’s biases?

The problem is it shouldn’t matter how he does it he should be scoring - then he doesn’t get pelters!

Sounds like we played really well but couldn’t finish the job, hope we don’t make a habit of this 

Thought we played really well today everywhere except in the box. Technique and passing was top drawer. Dolan, Holtby, Travis, Rothwell all a joy to watch. Buckley made a nice cameo.

We really really suffered though in the striking department. Brereton had a few decent runs out wide but he's supposed to be the centreforward. It was laughable. We had no one in the box, and couldn't create a real threat. 

I really think we should drop Brereton and look for better options. He just doesn't give us anything. When Gallaghers back we need to give him a try centrally.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Wow, how did we not win that? You'd think we were the PL side of the two teams looking at that match. 

A little bit too much through the middle at times, but we kept trying and deserved much more. But when facing PL quality in the final third, we need to take better care of our chances.

Think you're going to find yourself surprised we didn't win lots of games this season if we keep playing like this. I won't be though. Our penetrative play is poor. Whenever we dominate possession we lose, was like that all last season. We can't consistently find our way past a packed defence and are a much more effective threat on the counter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont see why everyone seems to really rate Rankin Costello, not seeing it at the moment.

Me neither. 

Conversely I think Buckley looks a great player.

Which probably means in Tony World that JRC will be virtually ever present and Buckley will be banished out on loan to the stiffs somewhere.

• Like 1

Not overly arsed about going out the cup but a win would be nice now. 2 decent performances yet 2 defeats is the bottom line. Hopefully Ayala isn't in too bad shape and can get in the team before long. Time to sacrifice a bit of the pretty stuff and be more clinical now chaps. I do think we'll win on Saturday to be honest, and win convincingly.

Brereton actually did quite well in the build up here to get the ball out to Bell. Instead of busting a gut to get into the box he is actually running BACKWARDS here. Away from goal.

A joke of a first half, looked more interested in the second with some surging runs, but never a centre forward in a million years. Absolutely horrific in the air too.

177604C2-711A-41B5-83BB-9E387C22D714.jpeg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mustard said:

Brereton doesn’t take a touch with the chance at the end and snatches at it as it comes down and he’d get pelters, takes a touch and a great intercepting tackle stops him in his tracks, gets pelters.  I thought he played well second half, but I’m not watching him with the scrutinising eyes wishing him not to do well.  Anyone see Arma do anything since he came on? Or does commenting on that not fit in with people’s biases?

Crazy how Marmite he is.

He was our best attacking player by a mile.

Drop him?? Jesus.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Why is the keeper not up for that corner. 10 seconds left and we don’t push the 6ft 4 keeper up!

Not only that but of the 5 corners we forced in the last 8 minutes of the game, we took 2 of them short and never had enough outfield players in the box never mind the goalkeeper! FFS! 

1 minute ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

The abuse towards BB is bordering on obsessive.  I thought he did very well and only a packed defence stopped Rovers from a deserved win. 

“Abuse”.

I’ve really not missed your trolling.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

The abuse towards BB is bordering on obsessive.  I thought he did very well and only a packed defence stopped Rovers from a deserved win. 

The fee paid hangs over his head, or should I say around his neck.  21 years old and played well but getting compared to 30+ year olds Varney and Brown.  It’s idiotic at best.  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, mustard said:

Anyone see Arma do anything since he came on? Or does commenting on that not fit in with people’s biases?

Armstrongs goal scoring record and general threat over the last 2 years probably give him some credit.

I thought Brereton was anonymous first half but much better second half, especially for a 10 minute spell around the hour mark. However I do think for the last 20 minutes the defenders sussed out he was dropping deep and then trying to drive forward with his first touch and managed to stop him.  He still has to pull the trigger at the end though.  Good enough performance in the second half from him but we still need a striker as the goals just aren't going to come from the lad.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Brereton actually did quite well in the build up here to get the ball out to Bell. Instead of busting a gut to get into the box he is actually running BACKWARDS here. Away from goal.

A joke of a first half, looked more interested in the second with some surging runs, but never a centre forward in a million years. Absolutely horrific in the air too.

177604C2-711A-41B5-83BB-9E387C22D714.jpeg

I mean, while it's fair to say he hasn't demonstrated the greatest amount of anticipation for us yet, I'd say in this case he's just dropping deep cause the box looks pretty packed.

Don't think you can really strike this one against him.

• Like 3