BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Newcastle United away in the League Cup

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

Holtby has taken Travis position. Travis now just gets asked to run around a lot like Savage did. Not sure it’s his best game. When he first came in he was a breath of fresh air taking the game to the opposition. Now he’s been Mowbray’d.

He was really good tonight with Holtby. It lead to everything good we did in the first half.

Leave the Travis avenue to criticise Mowbray alone.

Its embarrassing.

• Like 1

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Jesus that’s shit about Trav. Throws up all sorts of questions about the season. 

He’s one of our best players.

Maybe we won’t miss him since he was “marginalised and replaced by Holtby” but I think he’s big for us @Stuart

I really like Travis and would have like to have seen him have a workhorse alongside him, not become the workhorse for someone else.

Gutted for the lad but CM is a position Mowbray has been collecting players for at the expense of other areas so hopefully Johnson’s injury isn’t too bad.

He was really good tonight with Holtby. It lead to everything good we did in the first half.

Leave the Travis avenue to criticise Mowbray alone.

Its embarrassing.

I’ll post what I like but, yeah, cheers.

Trav injured now I detest these early cup games these days. Just not equipped enough numbers wise to make enough changes.

Played well tonight no real complaints. Think this over reliance on bombing full backs who never really create much will undo us time and again this season. We already knew that though and everyone isn't as good as Bournemouth & Newcastle so that'll be our saving grace 

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

I really like Travis and would have like to have seen him have a workhorse alongside him, not become the workhorse for someone else.

Gutted for the lad but CM is a position Mowbray has been collecting players for at the expense of other areas so hopefully Johnson’s injury isn’t too bad.

And what a collection

A midfield 3 of Evans--Holtby--Johnson is the least mobile, least dynamic 3 i've ever seen.

Edited by davulsukur

Radio Lancs said Travis was hobbling. We had already used our 3 subs. Why was he allowed to continue thereby making his injury worse?

Same happened to Harry Chapman when he was on loan. He did his hamstring and was allowed to continue for a while.

Absolutely shocking management.

• Like 1

If Travis is out for any length of time it's a huge blow not quite of Dack proportions but close. Such a stupid challenge he threw himself into when he didn't need to. Mowbray has to replace him with like for like otherwise it's Johnson and Evans doing the dirty stuff for us.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Stuart said:

He’s the definition of a workhorse. He’s perfect to play next to Holtby.

Game of opinions of course - 

But to say that a player who was widely regarded as player of the season last year and was virtually ever present, who wore the captains armband in preseason, who is young and from the academy, and played really well with Holtby tonight is -

“Marginalised”, ”Mowbrayed”, or replaced by someone he looks perfect to partner is at best daft or at worst just belies your bias against the manager.

The emergence and importance of Travis is something to praise the manager for, surely?

anyway I’ll leave it there, like you I’m not in the mood to argue with “trolls”

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 2

Just now, arbitro said:

If Travis is out for any length of time it's a huge blow not quite of Dack proportions but close. Such a stupid challenge he threw himself into when he didn't need to. Mowbray has to replace him with like for like otherwise it's Johnson and Evans doing the dirty stuff for us.

Could see him playing JRC.

Do we really have the budget for a new midfielder?

Dominant display tonight but worrying signs at both ends. Absolutely no cutting edge and really susceptible to counter attacks with both full backs so high up.

Brereton with another game with more questions than answers. Missed a big chance at the end and so reluctant to get into the box or compete for headers. Some things you can understand but those 2 are not good enough from a striker.

To be honest, I think he actually looked worse centrally because he for some reason (and as @Miller11 highlights above) as I said is rarely in the box. He does have one attribute that he often, seemingly quite clumsily and at times fortunately but ultimately effectively can run past players but it is never in dangerous areas.

None of our attackers were effective. Still unsure what Rankin Costello brings to the team, anonymous. Dolan I do get the hype but again theres not much at the end of it, albeit you can see what he brings with his pace, tricks (at times overdoing it but he is raw) and running ability, Rankin Costello, less so. Armstrong and Chapman were both quiet too.

Gutted to hear about Travis, why did they make him carry on? I get that we would have had 10 men but his fitness is more important. He was excellent tonight. As was Holtby, should have scored but very good on the ball. Rothwell was too but no end product and not the same quality as Holtby. 

Bell so wasteful everytime he got the ball, so many overhit crosses and so slow of mind. Kaminski should have done better for the goal too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bazza said:

Radio Lancs said Travis was hobbling. We had already used our 3 subs. Why was he allowed to continue thereby making his injury worse?

Same happened to Harry Chapman when he was on loan. He did his hamstring and was allowed to continue for a while.

Absolutely shocking management.

When Cunningham did his cruciate at QPR he went back on after treatment when clearly he had sustained something serious. I'm no medic but surely the physio or doctor should be insisting he comes off.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Think you're going to find yourself surprised we didn't win lots of games this season if we keep playing like this. I won't be though. Our penetrative play is poor. Whenever we dominate possession we lose, was like that all last season. We can't consistently find our way past a packed defence and are a much more effective threat on the counter.

I think we leave ourselves too exposed at the back as well. Our best 1v1 central defender was Tosin who is gone now, so hopefully Ayala can fill in better than Williams can.

We will definitely win a lot of matches if we keep this performance level and intensity up. 

33 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Arma is our only goal threat until Dack comes back. 

We can create as many chances as we like but in Ben Brereton, we have one of the worst finishers in the championship.

Williams had 3 chances tonight. Should scored at least one of them. 

Brereton should have finished that chance near the end. He was much better second half. 

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

Not many available as good as Travis. It’s shite.

But to say that a player who was widely regarded as player of the season last year and was virtually ever present, who wore the captains armband in preseason, who is young and from the academy, and played really well with Holtby tonight is -

“Marginalised”, ”Mowbrayed”, or replaced by someone he looks perfect to partner is at best daft or at worst just belies your bias against the manager.

The emergence and importance of Travis is something to praise the manager for, surely?

If you want to praise him for converting a positive player into a negative one go ahead. Dunny gets the original credit from me.

Just now, Stuart said:

Could see him playing JRC.

Do we really have the budget for a new midfielder?

Who knows what is in the budget Stuart. The issue for me is that of what we currently have nobody can do what Travis does. On form he is pretty much the heartbeat of the team.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Whilst I think BB has shown some signs of promise we seem to have dumbed down to the point where we praise our £7m signing for games where he ‘looks a bit better’ or ‘almost got a goal’

I just wish he had the belief of someone like Dolan who plays with the youthful exuberance.

I (baselessly) think Brereton really struggles with confidence, seems to be the butt of the joke with the players banter when you hear them interviewed as well 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

I must admit that I liked the look of Holtby and Travis together.  Travis was always a workhorse in the Under-23's particularly when he moved into midfield.  He has a bit of Mark Atkins about him in terms of getting up and down the pitch but has that bit of Savage when it comes to winning the ball.  Not sure who we have who can play a similar role to Travis.  JRC isn't that type of player.  I suppose Evans or Bennett would be the likely choices or it could be a chance to see what Davenport could do.

• Like 5