BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Newcastle United away in the League Cup

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

I thought Rothwell was a lot better today. More considered use of the ball, and good driving runs.

Rothwells already a useful player and has a lot of potential to improve. 

Brereton it is hard to see what potential he has.

Rothwell is 26 in January, that's way past improving age in my book.  Should be the finished article by now.  2-3 more years and he starts to lose his pace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Was that the one around the 70 minute mark, where he was down for 5 seconds or so, then got up and carried on? Given his importance, the game's low importance, and that he hasn't looked quite right since his last injury, that moment should have been all TM needed to bring Davenport on tbh. But Trav will play on through more or less anything I imagine, so hard to tell if he really needs to come off.

It is what it is now. We are going to need someone to come in, and I really hadn't considered that area a priority until now. I reckon it just leapfrogged backup CB and backup GK in the importance stakes, but still behind LB.

Edit - we may have already used our subs at this point, but that's exactly why you don't use all your subs by that point, which TM loves to do and has actually been lucky to get away with so often.

As per your edit, I believe we'd used all our subs by this point unfortunately.  Not sure what minute it was but I'd guess somewhere between 70th and 80th.  I think Travis's "run through a brick wall and carry on regardless" nature can be a hindrance to himself at times.  It looked to be a bit of a nasty one from their lad imo.  He knew he wasn't getting to the ball first but still committed to following through.  I'd have to see it again, but looked to be missed by the ref/seen as a 50-50.

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He wont start scoring goals and being effective as long as hes standing miles outside the box and ducking out of headers.

I do wonder whether this is through his own choice, or by instruction.  He certainly seemed to drop deeper following the introduction of Arma.  Was this due to legginess or his natural game or Mowbray's tactics?  Hard to say.

Personally I think he's done more good than bad when he's played and has fallen victim of very little penetrative balls from our players in more creative positions.  My criticisms of him would be, like you, winning headers, being in and around the six yard box and like some have mentioned his hold-up play is hit and miss atm.  He needs a bit more strength and tenacity drilled into him, a la the DG of old.  He's started bulking up though and I'm hoping once he adapts to this extra weight and builds his stamina he can become far more effective in this sense.

I've mentioned this before, but I'd say bar the goal on Saturday, Arma has contributed far less to the team in recent games, and I'm a big fan of AA.  I think BB is desperate for a goal and is somewhat forcing it, dropping deeper to try and get the ball and force the play, when maybe he should stick to being in the right positions, but again, whether this is his doing or on training/manager instruction, I do not know.  He has shown some good touches and linked up with the widemen well, but then can be prone to the odd poor touch and hasn't found anything for himself in the box.  I truly think a goal to settle the nerves would see the best of him come out.  For me he offers far more than Gallagher does, despite being a good 3 years his junior.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I see a player there, it just doesn't seem to be falling for him atm.  Personally, I have faith.  I'm sure we all hope I'm right!

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, mustard said:

I do wonder whether this is through his own choice, or by instruction.  He certainly seemed to drop deeper following the introduction of Arma.  Was this due to legginess or his natural game or Mowbray's tactics?  Hard to say.

Personally I think he's done more good than bad when he's played and has fallen victim of very little penetrative balls from our players in more creative positions.  My criticisms of him would be, like you, winning headers, being in and around the six yard box and like some have mentioned his hold-up play is hit and miss atm.  He needs a bit more strength and tenacity drilled into him, a la the DG of old.  He's started bulking up though and I'm hoping once he adapts to this extra weight and builds his stamina he can become far more effective in this sense.

I've mentioned this before, but I'd say bar the goal on Saturday, Arma has contributed far less to the team in recent games, and I'm a big fan of AA.  I think BB is desperate for a goal and is somewhat forcing it, dropping deeper to try and get the ball and force the play, when maybe he should stick to being in the right positions, but again, whether this is his doing or on training/manager instruction, I do not know.  He has shown some good touches and linked up with the widemen well, but then can be prone to the odd poor touch and hasn't found anything for himself in the box.  I truly think a goal to settle the nerves would see the best of him come out.  For me he offers far more than Gallagher does, despite being a good 3 years his junior.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I see a player there, it just doesn't seem to be falling for him atm.  Personally, I have faith.  I'm sure we all hope I'm right!

Good post.

People keep mentioning his confidence is low, is it any wonder the way Mowbray has treated him, signing him for £7m then virtually mothballing him for 2 seasons, then when he does get  a run out it's out wide.

When people were listing BB's deficiencies earlier, that's what I think when I see Gallagher. Of the two I think BB looks by far the better bet but admittedly it's a desperately low bar to compare against.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Good post.

People keep mentioning his confidence is low, is it any wonder the way Mowbray has treated him, signing him for £7m then virtually mothballing him for 2 seasons, then when he does get  a run out it's out wide.

When people were listing BB's deficiencies earlier, that's what I think when I see Gallagher. Of the two I think BB looks by far the better bet but admittedly it's a desperately low bar to compare against.

It must feel pretty shite being in his position as he's desperate to make an impact but has largely been limited to cameos.  His goals to games ratio looks poor but the vast majority were sub appearances, and when he's started sometimes I think he's been unlucky to be brought off.  I thought he'd done more than Holtby to warrant staying on vs Bournemouth for example, but found himself sacrificed (today I thought Holtby was superb for the vast duration of the game I might add).

When BB had that little link-up and good strike from distance today, he came alive after that.  I think there's certainly some self-belief lacking there and he's trying too hard to make an impression on the game, when he might be better taking a leaf out of Rhodes's book and lurking around the box.  Arma hasn't done much of late for the team but he often pops up when it matters, alas not today.

We can't forget, we were largely up against Prem-quality opposition today, second string or not.  We struggled to find chances even with our better attacking/creative players on simply due to them being hard to break down.  Just one of them days for me.  I'm disappointed to see us lose but, not to be Mowbray-esque here, we'll win more than we lose playing like that.

And for the record, I'm usually a pessimistic bastard.

• Like 4

He was a number 9 for an hour tonight and he just repeatedly failed to even get into the box, every single time he would come short, he would hover outside the box, there is a reason why he isnt coming close to scoring.

He is capable of going on clumsy but effective runs where he beats people but they are always in harmless areas of the pitch for the opposition.

He also a few times ducked out of headers, that isnt acceptable for a striker desperate to impress.

He wont start scoring goals until he gets into the box and until he starts being braver.

• Like 1

I didn't watch it.

One of my least favourite people was proved right.

Bruce said he would play his second string and win.

He did. They did.

Putting it simply if we cannot dominate Newcastle Reserves, there is something very wrong.

Sounds like we were told to keep possession rather than shoot.

Sounds like Ben muffed his chance to lead the line.

Sounds like Dolan twinkled again.

Sounds like Ayala was sorely needed.

Sounds like zero inspiration.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, philipl said:

I didn't watch it.

He did. They did.

Putting it simply if we cannot dominate Newcastle Reserves, there is something very wrong.

You didn't watch it.

• Like 6

If he was carving his career a league or two below Breretons all round game would probably look a little bit more effective. 

A complete knee jerk signing where the manager didn't know what he wanted him for and 2 years later the player still doesn't appear to know what he's supposed to be doing.

My guess is he might turn into one of those flat track bully types where he'll run riot the odd game against crap opposition, then disappear completely the rest of the time.

4 hours ago, philipl said:

I didn't watch it.

He did. They did.

Sounds like you should have watched the game. 

• Moderation Lead
10 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

I've been here 20 years.  I was banned because I wasn't in the cult.

19 actually and you were banned for being for breaking the rules, just like everyone else that ever received a ban.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
10 hours ago, Stuart said:

If you want to praise him for converting a positive player into a negative one go ahead. Dunny gets the original credit from me.

You not reckon it may be a bit of a stretch to credit someone who didn’t pick him for the first team?

4 hours ago, philipl said:

I didn't watch it.

He did. They did.

I'm not sure how you come to these conclusions without watching it.  Needless to say you are on the wrong track with a number of these points.  

• Like 1

Great showing last night just need to be more clinical in front of goal. 
BB shocking again but he will be playing every game he offers nothing at all. When he receives the ball he holds on too long and chances or break fizzle away. 
JRC wasn’t at his best struggles to impact the game. 
buckley when he came on gave it away to many times he’s too light weight.

dolan did ok without creating much he is full of energy but nothing else tbh too many step overs for no reason I’m sure giving chapman as much minutes as BB he would produce more goals and assists but that won’t happen as he wasn’t 7m. 
mother than that it was a good showing we go again Saturday 

11 minutes ago, Hasta said:

"Ran with the ball a lot, dribbled and beat his man but in positions that weren't dangerous or nothing came of it, got a couple of shots away from outside the box, some of which were blocked."

Am I describing a Rothwell bad game or a Brereton good game?

Both

We played pretty but largely ineffective tippy-tappy and only managed 3 shots on target with no goals against a bottom half PL side, well to be accurate their Reserves.

After the Bournemouth match, I mentioned our quite pathetic attempts at shooting at goal. 

This time it's heading the ball, well actually not heading effectively. This runs throughout the team and some are not very good at it or just don't want to do it, Brereton and Bell are just 2 of those who will jump under the ball, if they jump at all, to avoid contact. Williams's weak aerial challenge and trot back led to us conceding at the Toon.

With Lenihan and Ayala as our first choice CBs, TMs dreams of playing the ball out from the back will be under threat. At least Ayala can head the ball and will be an attacking threat at our corners and freekicks which we currently just don't have.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Football is a funny old game.

I thought we dominated Newcastle but in typical Steve Bruce fashion they caught us on the counter a couple of times. Unfortunately for us it was Ryan Fraser on the end of that pass and not any of their other strikers. One of the poorest teams I have seen us play in recent memory, unless we made them look that way.

Not buying this reserves malarkey. One or two second string players in but they had the likes of Almiron, Joelinton, Fraser, Longstaff all starting. We came up against a Premier League team on their own ground and ran the game.

My criticism is that we were too slow on the ball. It allowed the team to get back, and again with a Bruce side that means two banks of four and difficult to break down, with a quick attack ready to pounce on the ball into space in behind. It's a tactic as old as man and has forged a career in management for the Potato man.

JRC was anonymous yesterday, and you felt the pace of Rothwell and Dolan passed him by. It will happen with youngsters though. Buckley looked good when he come on, and you can tell he is ahead of other players. An example of that was that little pass he made to Nyambe late on, just in front of him and ready for him to whip in first time. Nyambe was on the back foot expecting a pass to his feet, which was the easy amateur ball to make, but should have been awake to Buckley's vision.

I actually thought Brereton had a good game by his standards. He beat a few men, played a couple of good one-twos with Rothwell in the first half that culminated in shooting opportunities and put himself about a bit. I fancied him scoring that last minute chance but once again far too slow on the ball in the box. Keep trying though, because he's shown more endeavour in his appearances in pre-season to now than he has in his previous 2 years.

Ayala won't go a miss in this squad but other than the goal the defence didn't put a foot wrong. I like how high Kaminski comes up, plays as that extra defender when we have possession. Could have done better for the goal but he was onto a loser really. It was piss poor by Nyambe for not following his man and trying to play offside.

Last point would be that just before the first half ended Almiron broke though and I called it that he'd send Lenihan packing. Sure enough he did. For all his good points Lenihan turns like milk and when a forward runs at him you fancy the forward every time. 

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 2