Jump to content
philipl

Newcastle United away in the League Cup

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Torgeir said:

 

We will definitely win a lot of matches if we keep this performance level and intensity up. 

Not if we don't score goals we won't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stuart said:

If you want to praise him for converting a positive player into a negative one go ahead. Dunny gets the original credit from me.

He’s probably our best player.

Unbelievable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst I think BB has shown some signs of promise we seem to have dumbed down to the point where we praise our £7m signing for games where he ‘looks a bit better’ or ‘almost got a goal’

I just wish he had the belief of someone like Dolan who plays with the youthful exuberance.

I (baselessly) think Brereton really struggles with confidence, seems to be the butt of the joke with the players banter when you hear them interviewed as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

He’s the definition of a workhorse. He’s perfect to play next to Holtby.

Game of opinions of course - 

But to say that a player who was widely regarded as player of the season last year and was virtually ever present, who wore the captains armband in preseason, who is young and from the academy, and played really well with Holtby tonight is -

“Marginalised”, ”Mowbrayed”, or replaced by someone he looks perfect to partner is at best daft or at worst just belies your bias against the manager.

The emergence and importance of Travis is something to praise the manager for, surely?

I must admit that I liked the look of Holtby and Travis together.  Travis was always a workhorse in the Under-23's particularly when he moved into midfield.  He has a bit of Mark Atkins about him in terms of getting up and down the pitch but has that bit of Savage when it comes to winning the ball.  Not sure who we have who can play a similar role to Travis.  JRC isn't that type of player.  I suppose Evans or Bennett would be the likely choices or it could be a chance to see what Davenport could do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, roversfan99 said:

Dominant display tonight but worrying signs at both ends. Absolutely no cutting edge and really susceptible to counter attacks with both full backs so high up.

Brereton with another game with more questions than answers. Missed a big chance at the end and so reluctant to get into the box or compete for headers. Some things you can understand but those 2 are not good enough from a striker.

To be honest, I think he actually looked worse centrally because he for some reason (and as @Miller11 highlights above) as I said is rarely in the box. He does have one attribute that he often, seemingly quite clumsily and at times fortunately but ultimately effectively can run past players but it is never in dangerous areas.

None of our attackers were effective. Still unsure what Rankin Costello brings to the team, anonymous. Dolan I do get the hype but again theres not much at the end of it, albeit you can see what he brings with his pace, tricks (at times overdoing it but he is raw) and running ability, Rankin Costello, less so. Armstrong and Chapman were both quiet too.

Gutted to hear about Travis, why did they make him carry on? I get that we would have had 10 men but his fitness is more important. He was excellent tonight. As was Holtby, should have scored but very good on the ball. Rothwell was too but no end product and not the same quality as Holtby. 

Bell so wasteful everytime he got the ball, so many overhit crosses and so slow of mind. Kaminski should have done better for the goal too.

Firstly Kaminski shouldnt have done better imo. Need the back 4 working together and in straight line. Ayala's experience will help. Plus next week we need to working at that all week. Travis wouldnt come here. He wants to play and on the pitch. Hes no soft ass. 

I find the rest of the post over critical and abit OTT.  You just gone to Newcastle and out performed them bearing in mind that Newcastle team cost 100 million pounds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said in my previous post, encouraging performance. The only thing that worries me is that Newcastle seemed to sit off for the majority of the game and look to hit us on the break, I can see Wycombe doing the same at Ewood on Saturday. I hope we can create more from of our dominance of the ball on Saturday and don’t get caught out like we have done in the past under Mowbray against “lesser” teams at Ewood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for Brereton, I can’t believe he’s still being “assessed” on here.

Hes not a footballer, he’s just technically not good enough - that’s been obvious to me from just a few games watching him. I know there’s a call for him to play up front down the middle, but honestly I’ve seen a hell of a lot of centre forwards in my time watching rovers but I can’t think of very many, if any with fewer credentials to play centre forward than Ben has. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Crazy how Marmite he is.

He was our best attacking player by a mile.

Drop him?? Jesus.

I'm surprised they've not laid into their other whipping boy, Rothwell too. Two players who can do no right in the eyes of some. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tom said:

Whilst I think BB has shown some signs of promise we seem to have dumbed down to the point where we praise our £7m signing for games where he ‘looks a bit better’ or ‘almost got a goal’

I just wish he had the belief of someone like Dolan who plays with the youthful exuberance.

I (baselessly) think Brereton really struggles with confidence, seems to be the butt of the joke with the players banter when you hear them interviewed as well 

I think its been noticeable that Brereton's three good games thus far have been against Fleetwood, Blackpool and Doncaster - perhaps that is the level he is comfortable with.  I hope he can prove me wrong but I just don't see a player in the lad.  He looks awkward on the ball and struggles to make an impression on defenders.  Two goals is a shocking return no matter how we dress it up but I agree the lad looks very short of confidence.  He reminds me of Kevin Davies when he came here for big money and couldn't cope with it only to blossom elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Firstly Kaminski shouldnt have done better imo. Need the back 4 working together and in straight line. Ayala's experience will help. Plus next week we need to working at that all week. Travis wouldnt come here. He wants to play and on the pitch. Hes no soft ass. 

I find the rest of the post over critical and abit OTT.  You just gone to Newcastle and out performed them bearing in mind that Newcastle team cost 100 million pounds. 

Kaminski should have done better in my opinion, the defence in the build up were all over the place and it did come on the counter attack which is a worry that I have flagged because we keep playing with our full backs both high up and it will cause us issues on the counter attack. I dont doubt any of that, but the finish wasnt in the corner and somewhat went through the keeper.

Travis wouldnt come off? Do soft arses refuse to play with damaged knee ligaments? Ultimately if he had an injury, he should have been told that he has to come off, not left on to make it worse and now miss many weeks.

I would prefer to get battered and win to be fair. There are some positives tonight for sure but ultimately I am worried as to the vulnerability of our centre backs playing with our full backs so high, and I am unconvinced that we have enough of a cutting edge. I dont think we would have scored had we played until next week. Rankin Costello, Brereton, Dolan, Chapman, Rothwell, plenty of pace and energy there, but how many goals?

I also dont know how Dack will come back in without a change of shape, but we do need him back because he is one of only 2 players who can get us goals.

40 million of that was spent on Joelinton, a total waste of space!

I think this comes down to how much faith you have in what Mowbray is doing. Trying to play more expansively, 4-3-3, full backs high up, sometimes false 9s, wide strikers, this whole new world, it ultimately got a very poor points return in the last 9 games, and we have lost the first 2 this season, difficult games, games that we have been praised plenty in, but games we have been on the wrong side of. I have doubts about various aspects of it, and ultimately football is about points, not pretty passing, so until we start picking up points regularly playing this way, I will be skeptical. I think there will have to be a compromise.

Edited by roversfan99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

I'm surprised they've not laid into their other whipping boy, Rothwell too. Two players who can do no right in the eyes of some. 

rothwell,runs around like a mad chicken,always come inside and gets into trouble,never shown anyone that he is effective wherever you put him

brereton enough said

the two of them are not good enough,no point in happy clapping,the truth must be told

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'm surprised they've not laid into their other whipping boy, Rothwell too. Two players who can do no right in the eyes of some. 

Tbf he’s been pretty wank for a while.

 

Just calling it as I see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Firstly Kaminski shouldnt have done better imo. Need the back 4 working together and in straight line. Ayala's experience will help. Plus next week we need to working at that all week. Travis wouldnt come here. He wants to play and on the pitch. Hes no soft ass. 

I find the rest of the post over critical and abit OTT.  You just gone to Newcastle and out performed them bearing in mind that Newcastle team cost 100 million pounds. 

He’s no soft ass? 
 

Bravery and stupidity are often confused!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sponsor
11 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

My guess is Davenport will get a go.

I'd be shocked - he's out in the cold. Johnson, Evans and Holtby for the forseeable. Unless the first two are already crocked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

rothwell,runs around like a mad chicken,always come inside and gets into trouble,never shown anyone that he is effective wherever you put him

brereton enough said

the two of them are not good enough,no point in happy clapping,the truth must be told

 

I thought Rothwell was a lot better today. More considered use of the ball, and good driving runs.

Rothwells already a useful player and has a lot of potential to improve. 

Brereton it is hard to see what potential he has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

rothwell,runs around like a mad chicken,always come inside and gets into trouble,never shown anyone that he is effective wherever you put him

brereton enough said

the two of them are not good enough,no point in happy clapping,the truth must be told

 

You watched the game today, yes?

Rothwell was superb playing centrally. His ability to run with the ball, his vision and his range of passes SCREAMS CM. 

I think that's the first time, and hopefully the last, that I've been accused of happy clapping. I call it how I see it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

I'd be shocked - he's out in the cold. Johnson, Evans and Holtby for the forseeable. Unless the first two are already crocked.

There's no way they'll all stay fit. Davenport will get a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched this with a Newcastle supporter who couldn’t believe we didn’t win.

On the plus side, dominated, created chances and on other days we’d get the win. That said we lost, no doubt a dent to confidence after 2 defeats.

 

Kaminski 6 - Quiet game, maybe could have done better with the goal. Quick and positive on the distribution.

Nyambe 7 - Solid, enthusiastic performance.

Lenihan 6 - Okay.

Williams 7 - I was impressed, he looked to push forwards from the back, cut out an early chance, but did fluff 3 chances from corners.

Bell 6 - First touch slowed down some counter attacks.

Travis 6 - Okay.

Holtby 6 - Okay, snatched at a couple of chances.

Rothwell 8 - He grew into the game and kept driving forwards. Took his chance tonight.

Rankin-Costello 6 - Okay.

Dolan 7 - Exciting, positive and surely keeps his place on Saturday.

Brereton 6 - Battled, gave everything but not enough quality tonight.

Subs:

Chapman - Good cameo.

Armstrong - Not the dream return to his home club.

Buckley - Good cameo.

 

Hate losing, but plenty of positives. 3 points on Saturday then we can kick on 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, joey_big_nose said:

I thought Rothwell was a lot better today. More considered use of the ball, and good driving runs.

Rothwells already a useful player and has a lot of potential to improve. 

Brereton it is hard to see what potential he has.

he`ll have one good game then ten bad ones,that is the problem,in the long run we can`t afford to be carrying that sort of inconsistency

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I think its been noticeable that Brereton's three good games thus far have been against Fleetwood, Blackpool and Doncaster - perhaps that is the level he is comfortable with.  I hope he can prove me wrong but I just don't see a player in the lad.  He looks awkward on the ball and struggles to make an impression on defenders.  Two goals is a shocking return no matter how we dress it up but I agree the lad looks very short of confidence.  He reminds me of Kevin Davies when he came here for big money and couldn't cope with it only to blossom elsewhere.

Funny, I'd say he had a good game tonight against a PL team. 

Our best attacking player tonight. Yes, he has things to work on - he's not a natural goal scorer for a start, but he's twice the player he was before lockdown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JPTSwindon said:

Watched this with a Newcastle supporter who couldn’t believe we didn’t win.

On the plus side, dominated, created chances and on other days we’d get the win. That said we lost, no doubt a dent to confidence after 2 defeats.

 

Kaminski 6 - Quiet game, maybe could have done better with the goal. Quick and positive on the distribution.

Nyambe 7 - Solid, enthusiastic performance.

Lenihan 6 - Okay.

Williams 7 - I was impressed, he looked to push forwards from the back, cut out an early chance, but did fluff 3 chances from corners.

Bell 6 - First touch slowed down some counter attacks.

Travis 6 - Okay.

Holtby 6 - Okay, snatched at a couple of chances.

Rothwell 8 - He grew into the game and kept driving forwards. Took his chance tonight.

Rankin-Costello 6 - Okay.

Dolan 7 - Exciting, positive and surely keeps his place on Saturday.

Brereton 6 - Battled, gave everything but not enough quality tonight.

Subs:

Chapman - Good cameo.

Armstrong - Not the dream return to his home club.

Buckley - Good cameo.

 

Hate losing, but plenty of positives. 3 points on Saturday then we can kick on 👍🏻

Travis a 6 when Rothwell is an 8 is a weird one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Tom said:

Whilst I think BB has shown some signs of promise we seem to have dumbed down to the point where we praise our £7m signing for games where he ‘looks a bit better’ or ‘almost got a goal’

I just wish he had the belief of someone like Dolan who plays with the youthful exuberance.

I (baselessly) think Brereton really struggles with confidence, seems to be the butt of the joke with the players banter when you hear them interviewed as well 

I think his confidence is improving with a run in the side / not having 15k Rovers fans tut and sigh every time he loses the ball.

I'd back that up by saying he had a few pops at goal today when perhaps it wasn't the best option. He usually always looks to lay it off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Stuart said:

If you want to praise him for converting a positive player into a negative one go ahead. Dunny gets the original credit from me.

You’re trying too hard. Be reasonable. Mowbray has plenty of faults, why go about inventing them??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.