BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

DANIEL AYALA

Neal

Seems like a great signing and at 29 the perfect age for CB. Does anyone know what happened at Boro, some kind of bust up? Judging by his apps for Boro petty much ever present for the last 5 seasons. Half a season in the Prem too (don't know if only half due to being out of favour or injured). 

On to sat. So do we chuck him in or give him 10 days of training and a u23 game or the like? 

Edited by BRFC4EVA

5 hours ago, philipl said:

We were spoiled by Tosin last year and still we leaked badly at the back.

Really hope he can form an excellent partnership with Lenihan.

Spoiled by Tosins passing and technical ability not really with defensive side of it although he wasn't bad. We've been crying out for the basics for years i hope he brings it.

• Like 1

• Backroom
22 minutes ago, BRFC4EVA said:

Seems like a great signing and at 29 the perfect age for CB. Does anyone know what happened at Boro, some kind of bust up?

Couldn't agree terms on a new contract, decided he wanted to move elsewhere and was either frozen out or refused to play depending on who you're hearing the story from. Either way his omission from the Boro first team at the end was nothing to do with how good he was, purely down to contractual disagreements. 

26 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Spoiled by Tosins passing and technical ability not really with defensive side of it although he wasn't bad. We've been crying out for the basics for years i hope he brings it.

You're right that Tosin was fairly decent defensively but we weren't spoilt. However, he did bring a lot of height and pace. Ayala is 2 inches shorter, but still 6 ft 3 and meant to be very good in the air, so could still be an upgrade in that sense. He isn't as quick though and I still have concerns that our passing game high up the pitch already leaves us vulnerable to counter attacks.

I think we need to modify our overall game. Not just for defensive reasons. If we won't though, I hope the backup CB we aim to bring is a quick one. That's obviously Magloire's main attribute though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

You're right that Tosin was fairly decent defensively but we weren't spoilt. However, he did bring a lot of height and pace. Ayala is 2 inches shorter, but still 6 ft 3 and meant to be very good in the air, so could still be an upgrade in that sense. He isn't as quick though and I still have concerns that our passing game high up the pitch already leaves us vulnerable to counter attacks.

I think we need to modify our overall game. Not just for defensive reasons. If we won't though, I hope the backup CB we aim to bring is a quick one. That's obviously Magloire's main attribute though.

You'll have to go a fair way to find a center half his age who can pass out like he could at this level. However i'd take someone who puts himself first to the ball and the does the basics really well consistently over that any day. Like you say though the bombing full backs will cost us many times this seasons against the better teams unless there are very good quick center defenders covering.

12 minutes ago, Tugay-is-God said:

Tosin came straight into the team last year. Barring fitness issues, I'd imagine it'd be the same with Ayala.

I imagine there will be fitness issues. He hasn't played since January was it? And not been properly training lately except for a stint with some minor team (conference I think). I'll be surprised if he is deemed ready for Saturday.

24 minutes ago, Tugay-is-God said:

Tosin came straight into the team last year. Barring fitness issues, I'd imagine it'd be the same with Ayala.

He missed the first game, played the second in Lenihans absence, then got injured himself missing 4 games, came into a back 3 before being subbed after an hour v Milwall, didnt make the squad v Reading, then was sub for the next 3 games and only came back into the team upon another injury to Lenihan at QPR.

Looking back, I wonder if and when he would have broke in had it not been for injury to Lenihan.

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He missed the first game, played the second in Lenihans absence, then got injured himself missing 4 games, came into a back 3 before being subbed after an hour v Milwall, didnt make the squad v Reading, then was sub for the next 3 games and only came back into the team upon another injury to Lenihan at QPR.

Looking back, I wonder if and when he would have broke in had it not been for injury to Lenihan.

Tosin was only a loan and a young player.Ayala likely to be our star summer signing when he is fit enough he will come straight into the side no doubt in my mind on that . Mowbray might be a bit silly with some of his team selections but not going to leave the best defender we have at the club on the bench to bed in for considerable time.With his lack of matches since January you would expect him to take a bit of time to get up to speed tho.He more or less put Cunningham straight in didn't he?I can't remember now

Noticed on their forums that they reckon he misses January every year (David Dunn Christmas break style) through ‘injuries’, I imagine they are exaggerating if you went through the fixtures of previous seasons, but we’ll soon see...

Edited by Mattyblue

17 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Mowbray on Ayala,  today in the LT:-

“I don’t think we need to throw him straight in after just a few days.  We’ve now got a free Tuesday next week, so he’ll have a whole week next week, so hopefully he  will get up to speed pretty quickly. But let’s wait and see"

With no disrespect to Wycombe ..(thats going to bite me on my @ss!) we "should" have enough about us to get a positive result  without Ayala .