BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

DANIEL AYALA

Neal

56 minutes ago, JPTSwindon said:

Family member is a Boro season ticket holder.

Reckons he is one of the best defenders in the league, but a glass ankle, so enjoy until the pitch hardens.

He is one of the best defenders in the league, having had 2 promotions to the premier League and also playing 30+ games almost every season. A class act! ?

Hopefully there will be a level of compromise with playing it out from the back too much because our centre backs are not the best on the ball.

We needed more than anything someone who could defend, on our budget a player good at doing both was unrealistic. Ayala defensively is as good as we could have got, I would have much preferred Ayala to say Naby Sarr who many wanted who is good on the ball but really poor defensively.

Both centre backs are good in the air too, Kaminski had looked shaky from crosses and that was his weakness based on what the Belgian football expert said (interview on Radio Lancashire) back at Gent so hopefully that will help him out a tad.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, philipl said:

For all the grief our full backs have been getting, I can only remember two aerial crosses Kaminski has had to deal with and he confidently caught both of them.

Nah he punched one out when it really didn't need punching. Made me a bit nervous. Hate keepers doing that.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

What are centre halves made of these days ? I was just looking up Matt Woods appearance stats for the 7 seasons he played for us - he played  26 out of 26, 48/48, 43/44, 50/51, 52/52, 43/52, 47/49. Then he retired ! Matt looked like he'd been cast in a foundry, not born, and he played like it. Both of Lenihan and Williams have had several times out with injury and now Ayala's gone the same way.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, renrag said:

And that record might have gone on longer, if he hadn’t been replaced by the Welsh colossus. Also before Woods there was Willie Kelly, no finesse, but who didn’t know the meaning of pain. He was once carried off with broken ribs and was back in action about four weeks later.

I know the game is faster these days but back then the pitches were heavy going for at least half the season, the balls weighed a ton when they got wet, and the game was much, much more physical. When you consider that Matt's record was exceptional but I don't recall later centre halves -  England, Hunter, Faz, Killer, Graham Hawkins, MacNammee, Kevin Moran, Hendrey etc missing many games.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

23 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I know the game is faster these days but back then the pitches were heavy going for at least half the season, the balls weighed a ton when they got wet, and the game was much, much more physical. When you consider that Matt's record was exceptional but I don't recall later centre halves -  England, Hunter, Faz, Killer, Graham Hawkins, MacNammee, Kevin Moran, Hendrey etc missing many games.

McNamee missed alot of games and often played almost on one leg with hamstring problems. Players often started matches completely unfit (sometimes visibly limping) in those days when squads were much smaller. Moran too had many hamstring absences.

12 minutes ago, alcd said:

McNamee missed alot of games and often played almost on one leg with hamstring problems. Players often started matches completely unfit (sometimes visibly limping) in those days when squads were much smaller. Moran too had many hamstring absences.

According to Mike Jackman's book  McNamee played 27 league games out of a possible 29  in his first season. Second season 29 out of 46. Not too shabby, especially when he made all the difference in that first season. I'll have a look at Moran's record tomorrow but my memory of him is a very durable player.

11 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

According to Mike Jackman's book  McNamee played 27 league games out of a possible 29  in his first season. Second season 29 out of 46. Not too shabby, especially when he made all the difference in that first season. I'll have a look at Moran's record tomorrow but my memory of him is a very durable player.

My memory of Moran is that he got injured frequently but to counter that you had to practically drag him off the pitch as he was very brave/stupid.

Just now, rigger said:

And worth every penny just for the goal at Derby

Yeah, 90% bravery and 10% ability scored that goal. That's what's sadly lacking at the moment. Guys like Moran are inspirational, you play better as an individual because of them. Young players especially. Don't forget the guy had played a career's worth of football before he came to Rovers.  

• Like 3